Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

No more officiating

Gary Stevens

I doubt that many, if any, have notice my absence at USPSA matches. There is a reason.

At one of Sarge's matches I made a bad call that affected a shooter. That convinced me that it was time to retire. I have bowed out of all forms of NROI duties after several decades.

Now before I get a series of "well bye" or "don't let the door hit you in the A$$" I write this to simply explain my absence. No pity party required or expected.

Thats pretty well sums it up.

Gary

Gary, I'm sure all who have been in your orbit in the hundreds (or thousands!) of matches that you have officiated in, appreciate all the time and effort that you have put into this sport.

With that being said, not only will we miss you in your roles as MD, RM, and RO (and all the other roles you have played!), we will miss the humor and level headedness (if that is even a word!) of your running a match (I can still see you riding around on that golf cart in one of the BITBG, wearing that KY blue hair/visor thingy!).

Final thought.

Not to say that you don't deserve a retirement, but, to retire after one (bad) call after probably thousands of good calls is selling yourself short. We are all human and humans make mistakes. If everyone quit after making a mistake, where would we be? Just my thoughts...

Gary, you taught me my very first RO class over ten years ago. I have always considered you as my mentor. I appreciate everything you have given to me and the sport . You will always be welcome at my matches. But if you can’t make it I’ll understand and will miss you very much.

Sarge

4 hours ago, Gary Stevens said:

I doubt that many, if any, have notice my absence at USPSA matches. There is a reason.

At one of Sarge's matches I made a bad call that affected a shooter. That convinced me that it was time to retire. I have bowed out of all forms of NROI duties after several decades.

Now before I get a series of "well bye" or "don't let the door hit you in the A$$" I write this to simply explain my absence. No pity party required or expected.

Thats pretty well sums it up.

Gary

Any message to younger RO's?

Do your best you can do. My problem came with not being able to stay abreast with the ever changing rule set. Without stability the path is open to making bad calls.

What happened to me was totally my fault, no one else's.

Good luck.

Mr. Stevens,

I don’t know you, and have never met you, but hopefully you will still get out and shoot a match every now and again. Our games are too much fun not to participate in, and most other shooters are a pleasure to be around at the range.  And you can certainly mentor other Shooters and hopefully convince them to become ROs, and even MDs. 

• 4 weeks later...

Gary, sorry to see this though I am seeing it with a number of my fellow senior/super senior CRO's, self included, we are working fewer matches as it is hard to keep up.  Maybe there is a lesson here regarding the now ever-present lack of rules stability.

VLUC summed up my opinion too, with all the rule changes that we have seen over the past few years its little wonder that mistakes get made. Being an RO is a horrible job, if you do everything right no-one remembers you, if you do one itsy-bitsy, teeny-weeny thing wrong, the heavens come down like a ton of bricks...

• 1 month later...

I know I'm late to the party on this,  I hope I still get to see you on the range some time , you have a huge amount of knowledge and have put in the work for decades.  I always enjoyed working with/for you.... insert chicken... it's made of rubber like the tars on yer car! 

Gary,

You sir have more than earned your retirement and that is your choice.  It seems as we age, the "track meet" type of stages takes an unrelenting toll on the body.  This has always been a transitory sport. People come in and leave on a regular basis.  What you will be remember for is what you did when you were "here".

The RO duties for Steel Challenge are much, much easier.  Especially if the timer is BlueTooth linked to the scoring tablet.

All the best,

Bill Chunn