Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MPA DS9 Hybrid

Csalt

9 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

Guns do not make you better.  They may be more fun to shoot or give you a reason to train more than your current platform does, but they will not make a significant difference in where you sit in the standings.   

eh, they help.  agree that going from glocks to sti's hasn't magically elevated me to GM, but still, they help.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Walt_Knoxville said:

Thanks for the info davsco. When did you purchase your DS9?

I'm currently shooting with a Canik TP9 Sfx in my IDPA matches. I hope to improve my scores with the MPA DS9 IDPA. In my squad, I have two shooters shooting with the Alien! These two guys are usually ranked in the top 5.

first quarter this year.  as noted, any gun isn't going to raise you from C to GM, but it will help a little.  2011 trigger at least for me is a huge improvement over glock/canik/etc.

Sure Boomstick303. I agree that a better gun does not make you better (skill wise).  But I think a better pistol will decrease a shooter's total time for the match. The advertising/reviews for the MPA DS9 pistol it that it shoots pretty "flat". If the new pistol cuts my dwell time at each target by a tenth of a second, imagine how many seconds that will be cut by the end of the match and  I've done nothing but changed my pistol.  Also, the bigger mag funnel for these 2011 using the BMX mags will speed up my reload as well.

I will follow up on my match standing using the DS9 in my March '23 IDPA Match.

On 12/20/2022 at 12:26 PM, Walt_Knoxville said:

I've placed an order for the new MPA DS9 IDPA back in Nov.  MPA said it'll be a solid 12 weeks to make the pistol.  I'm looking at early Feb. '23 for delivery.  Very little info and review on the new pistol.  Can anyone share experiences with their MPA DS9 IDPA? Thanks.

I have the new IDPA model.  Black with blue small parts.  The gun is built very well.  Fit and Finish is spot on.  I have prob 1000 rounds on it since august and not 1 malfunction.  I’ve tried 147’s and 124 in it and it seems to like the 124 better for faster less bouncy follow up as shots.  They now have a more aggressive texture for their grips called A3 texture.  My updated grip should be here next week.  The one that is on it is fine but I like DNA takers :)   

On 10/5/2022 at 9:31 AM, davsco said:

just saw they're (mpa) making a steel challenge open gun, factory minor power factor ammo.  a little surprised to see it has a 5" barrel and not something a little shorter a la sti steelmaster.

This will also make a great open multigun pistol. Watching to see how they turn out.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/22/2022 at 10:35 PM, Bwilmot said:

I have the new IDPA model.  Black with blue small parts.  The gun is built very well.  Fit and Finish is spot on.  I have prob 1000 rounds on it since august and not 1 malfunction.  I’ve tried 147’s and 124 in it and it seems to like the 124 better for faster less bouncy follow up as shots.  They now have a more aggressive texture for their grips called A3 texture.  My updated grip should be here next week.  The one that is on it is fine but I like DNA takers :)   

Thanks for the feedback on your new IDPA model Bwilmot! Amazing, zero malfunction after 1K rounds!!! I can't wait. Can you snap some pics of your pistol. I may regret ordering the boring black with a silver barrel. . .

On 12/21/2022 at 8:28 PM, davsco said:

first quarter this year.  as noted, any gun isn't going to raise you from C to GM, but it will help a little.  2011 trigger at least for me is a huge improvement over glock/canik/etc.

I agree, only more practicing/training will move one up to GM. I'm hoping a refine 2011 will beckon me to shoot more. 😊

When someone has a moment can the take some pictures of the fit of the gun.  I have to admit some of the first pictures I saw of the fitment of parts was not good, but from the sounds of it MPA has seemed to have fixed those initial issues.  I am curious for the product you are getting at that price point.  

2 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

When someone has a moment can the take some pictures of the fit of the gun.  I have to admit some of the first pictures I saw of the fitment of parts was not good, but from the sounds of it MPA has seemed to have fixed those initial issues.  I am curious for the product you are getting at that price point.  

it would be nice to see updated pics for sure

• 2 weeks later...

Something worth mentioning.... I called Masterpiece direct. 

If you have or are going to purchase a new or used Ds9, anything with serial #599 or less is the 'old' version.  Anything serial #600+ is the new version since Dave took over. 

If you call MPA, they will give you a free upgrade to your older pistol.  Upgrade includes a complete new ignition system, trigger/safety, barrel, etc.  Keith said it was basically a new gun.  The upgrade takes 2-3 weeks. 

3 hours ago, Douglee25 said:

If you have or are going to purchase a new or used Ds9, anything with serial #599 or less is the 'old' version.  Anything serial #600+ is the new version since Dave took over. 

If you call MPA, they will give you a free upgrade to your older pistol.  Upgrade includes a complete new ignition system, trigger/safety, barrel, etc.  Keith said it was basically a new gun.  The upgrade takes 2-3 weeks. 

That's pretty awesome.

5 hours ago, Douglee25 said:

Yes, I had my early model "upgraded". I am blessed. MPA has a great reputation in the PRS community for customer service. 

44 minutes ago, ranger said:

Yes, I had my early model "upgraded". I am blessed. MPA has a great reputation in the PRS community for customer service. 

That's great to hear. 

I have that gun or a cosaint Arms 2011 on my list and I can't decide!  I am still a little leary of the MPA from the early reviews. 

7 hours ago, Douglee25 said:

That is absolutely correct! I sent my DS9 Hybrid back in August. Description of work, replaced:

- Barrel

- Grip

- MS Housing (w/components)

- Sear

- Sear Spring

- Magwell

- Trigger

- Ambi Safety's

Fitted barrel and sent back the original barrel (requested), safety's, trigger and red grip (this was the only cost for me as I wanted their red/black grip & pinned grip safety. Tuned sear spring. Trigger documented at 2lbs 5oz.

I originally called them about the grip safety and the thumb safety's chewing up my hand and finger (when dropping the thumb safety) and shooting. I gave Dave my info/serial number and he said send them the pistol they will take care of it. I did run into an issue with UPS Store back in August, they wouldn't mail it for me. I ended up asking my FFL if they could send it via their shipping service (UPS) and the did.

This was my second time sending the gun back to them as they had some growing pains developing the pistol. It has worked flawless since the work and I look forward to slapping a red dot on it for Limited Optics is approved.

324549783_484183963909800_3612191225889787117_n.jpg

1 minute ago, WildPete said:

That is absolutely correct! I sent my DS9 Hybrid back in August. Description of work, replaced:

- Barrel

- Grip

- Sear

- Sear Spring

- Magwell

- Trigger

- Ambi Safety's

Fitted barrel and sent back the original barrel (requested), safety's, trigger and red grip (this was the only cost for me as I wanted their red/black grip & pinned grip safety. Tuned sear spring. Trigger documented at 2lbs 5oz.

I originally called them about the grip safety and the thumb safety's chewing up my hand and finger (when dropping the thumb safety) and shooting. I gave Dave my info/serial number and he said send them the pistol they will take care of it. I did run into an issue with UPS Store back in August, they wouldn't mail it for me. I ended up asking my FFL if they could send it via their shipping service (UPS) and the did.

This was my second time sending the gun back to them as they had some growing pains developing the pistol. It has worked flawless since the work and I look forward to slapping a red dot on it for Limited Optics is approved.

That looks pretty legit!

Is that just a range toy or do you compete?

13 minutes ago, Douglee25 said:

That looks pretty legit!

Is that just a range toy or do you compete?

I used it in steel challenge Limited class for one match last year. It ran fine and I was shooting 9mm 100gr round nose ammo. I think I had a 9 lb or 8 lb recoil spring when I shot that match. No issues with the DS9 Hybrid just the user, that was the first time I used a center fired pistol in a match. 

I'm thinking of using it for the World Series Falling Steel Match this year.

Just now, WildPete said:

I used it in steel challenge Limited class for one match last year. It ran fine and I was shooting 9mm 100gr round nose ammo. I think I had a 9 lb or 8 lb recoil spring when I shot that match. No issues with the DS9 Hybrid just the user, that was the first time I used a center fired pistol in a match. 

I'm thinking of using it for the World Series Falling Steel Match this year.

Awesome!

17 hours ago, Walt_Knoxville said:

Hey jrloman, have you received your DS9 Hybrid yet?? Can you give us an update if you did received your baby.

Hey Walt sorry for just now seeing this, I did get my Hybrid, it has been flawless no problems for about 400 rounds now.  I will be running it in a 2 gun match this weekend and I will update how it goes.  

8 hours ago, WildPete said:

- Barrel

- Grip

- Sear

- Sear Spring

- Magwell

- Trigger

- Ambi Safety's

Is that a different mag release or a button added to the MPA one, I need just a little bit more width for mine.