Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Powder Bar Return Springs

9 hours ago, mkmckinley said:

The concept works well by taking up some of the slack in the travel. I just use a rubber band. 

This. I use the springs and fail-safe rod on several of my powder measures. The failsafe rod alone (if you have one of the newer type powder measures) is enough, but what's a little extra precaution?

I robbed the spring off of my SDB and put it on my 650 to trial it.   I think it was on the 650 for maybe 5 rounds.   The charge bar operated in a violent, "snappy" motion.   I didn't like it, so I removed it.   

I too was worried about there being too much force. I do not seem to have problems with powder drop consistency, so probably should leave well enough alone. I did disassemble the powder measure and polished the heck out of everything. Probably need not needed for pistol loads, but I enjoyed the work.

Mine work perfect also - in fact when I attached one of Ms. Sigarmsp226 pony tail holders to mine to create the additional resistance my unit seemed to respond in a more jerking motion (less smooth) so I took the elastic band off and put it back the way it has been for the last 15+ years…..I guess every unit can respond differently….Mark

When I bought my first Dillon 650 I removed the fail safe rod first thing and put springs on the powder bar. When I transferred over to a 1050 I kept the same springs. Now over 33k rounds later I couldn’t imagine using the fail safe rod. Your results might vary from mine, just my 2 cents worth. 

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, ScottyPotty said:

I run the springs too.  I cut off the lock thingy on the powder measure, and took off that whole contraption.  Lots less crap in your way, and runs much smoother.

I did the same on my two 1050's...

I run two springs.

I also cut the stuff off all the powder measures I use on both my 550's and use the springs.

Probably not the case today, but about 4-5 years ago I was in the Dillon store in Scottsdale, AZ and asked the employee behind the counter how I might find some spare springs.  He opened a drawer below the counter and handed me three or four of them and told me they were "on the house". 

As I said, it's pretty likely those days are far gone.

On 7/17/2021 at 8:31 PM, Sigarmsp226 said:

If anyone has a photo they can share of their spring set up I would appreciate it….This has my attention now…Thanks Mark

Here’s my old powder measure with the return springs. I’m using this setup to load major ammo on my 1100.

CE2306-EB-07-C9-4-C0-F-983-B-CBE46-CB607

Thanks George for providing this picture…One final question for you if you know, if not, if someone else here may explain this…

In reading this thread am I reading this correctly the fail safe rod can be completely removed from your Dillon system if you use springs similar to what George is showing here and the powder drop will work as intended….Mark

Edited by Sigarmsp226

12 minutes ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

Thanks George for providing this picture…One final question for you if you know, if not, if someone else here may explain this…

In reading this thread am I reading this correctly the fail safe rod can be completely removed from your Dillon system if you use springs similar to what George is showing here and the powder drop will work as intended….Mark

Yes. With this powder measure setup on my 1100 or 550, the fail safe rod is removed or disconnected because there’s no need for it. The springs do the job of the fail safe rod by making sure the bar always returns to it original position.

I might have to try this. I think the problem may be trying to use both systems. Pick either the fail safe rod or spring option but not both. Will test to see if the springs alone provide more consistent results.

George, Chuck, and N7VY - Thanks guys for this detail. I am about to sit down and read the thread link that Chuck provided and I am also going to be heading to Lowes this week to pick me up some springs to give this a try…..Thanks Again Guys…Mark

Drilling out that rivet on the powder measure’s “bell crank” and then drilling a hole through the failsafe rod so you can add a “cotter key” or “cotter pin” and a washer and then adding the two tension springs is called a “Dillon powder measure retrograde” .

Here on my 650:E5A23CDF-91A3-4C03-924F-85627EB17100.thumb.jpeg.23576d8a997be6524ebad4708f5f9cc1.jpeg

I tried to post a pic but the file size is too large.  One thing to keep in mind.  With using springs instead of the fail safe rod is double charges. 

The fail safe rod keeps you from going up twice.  With the springs you can go up and fill the case, come down 1/2 stroke and go up again and fill.  I think that is the reason for the change from springs.

I have the old style powder measures and use both the springs and the fail safe rod, kinda like wearing both a belt and suspenders

the fail safe rod only comes into play on the bottom of the stroke to ensure the powder bar is fully closed