Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RL1100 Press Extra Light System - What Do you use

Wanted to ask what folks are using because I am going to need additional lightning on my RL1100…

Saw this one and did not know if anyone is using this system and if so are you happy with this unit…..295 lumens that attaches to the toolhead. Just not sure how well this would stay in place over thousands of cycles….Thanks for sharing what you use or recommend….Mark

https://reloadinginnovations.com/products/dillon-1050-press-lighting-kit?variant=30491750994

Edited by Sigarmsp226

1 hour ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

Wanted to ask what folks are using because I am going to need additional lightning on my RL1100…

Saw this one and did not know if anyone is using this system and if so are you happy with this unit…..295 lumens that attaches to the toolhead. Just not sure how well this would stay in place over thousands of cycles….Thanks for sharing what you use or recommend….Mark

https://reloadinginnovations.com/products/dillon-1050-press-lighting-kit?variant=30491750994

Mark:

This is the one I use; and so far, I've been 110% satisfied with the amount and quality of lighting this thing puts out.

Highly recommend!

👍:)

Same here. Works great on my RL1050. I did use a bit of super glue to mount it rather than the clips after the fact. If I had thought about it, I would have used some double edged tape when the tool head was off the press. 

Still, best light out there.

2 hours ago, Cuz said:

This looks nice.

how hard is it to remove the tool head to install it?

It’s very easy to remove the tool head and install the light. Use the big (10mm iirc) Allen wrench that came with the 1100 to unscrew the tool head mounting bolt. Make sure the tool head is in the down position when initially breaking loose the tool head bolt. Once it a little bit loose, raise the tool head to remove it. Be careful taking it off since it under spring pressure.

As stated by @cbrussell, you can use glue or double-sided tape to keep them in place. The light has a quick disconnect portion of it. You can buy one whole set ( light and wiring/switch) with an additional light fixture for additional tool heads. I have one wiring set/switch for use with three light fixtures since I have three tool heads.

I've got one of those - or one just like it - and it works great.  It's also easy to switch from press to press rapidly if you use multiple presses.  And it can be used on all kinds of things if you need a light with a magnetic base.

• 7 months later...
6 minutes ago, CharlieD said:

Check out the UFO light, it has a dimmer.

https://shop.kmssquared.com/shop/ols/products/ufo1100/v/KMSRPL11D

I also have the reloading innovations (not a fan of the mounting brackets) on another press, I prefer the UFO.  You don’t have to remove the tool head, probably better if you do, but I didn’t. 

I have a UFO for my 550 and grabbed this as soon as it came out and it's nice. I bought just the light as I already have the power cords and whatnot and it's a great value especially for the multi packs.

On 6/21/2021 at 3:30 PM, KDHOLLAND said:

Same, I think I bought a 2 pack though for like $15 a couple of years ago.  Mounts perfectly to the 1100 case feed mounting pole for a clear view after the powder drop.  I use the other one on my 650 in the same functional location.

On 2/2/2022 at 9:58 AM, CharlieD said:

Check out the UFO light, it has a dimmer.

https://shop.kmssquared.com/shop/ols/products/ufo1100/v/KMSRPL11D

I also have the reloading innovations (not a fan of the mounting brackets) on another press, I prefer the UFO.  You don’t have to remove the tool head, probably better if you do, but I didn’t. 

I ended up getting the UFO because of the dimmer. It should arrive later this week. 

Also a big fan of the RI light, like others I have them on all of my 1050 toolheads and have one on my 550 setup as well.

The rear 1050 mounting clip can be a bit annoying when trying to fine tune case flaring or the MBF die, but I usually just pull that clip off when I need to make adjustments there and slip it back on after.  Although, I never thought of using glue or double sided tape, that might work even better.  Any recommendations for what brand/style tape to use?

Also, I had an issue where one a or two of the led's stopped working after about 2 years - I contact RI and since they only have 1 year warranty he suggested I send them in and would try to repair/replace the diodes for a small fee.  Turns out he was able to fix them and sent them back no charge.  Great customer service.

2 hours ago, 78Staff said:

The rear 1050 mounting clip can be a bit annoying when trying to fine tune case flaring or the MBF die, but I usually just pull that clip off when I need to make adjustments there and slip it back on after.  Although, I never thought of using glue or double sided tape, that might work even better.  Any recommendations for what brand/style tape to use?

The rear clip on my RI light broke at the top.  I cut it down below the top of the tool head and used 3M foam tape (lowes) to secure it to the tool head.  It’s much better like this.

7 hours ago, CharlieD said:

The rear clip on my RI light broke at the top.  I cut it down below the top of the tool head and used 3M foam tape (lowes) to secure it to the tool head.  It’s much better like this.

You put the tape on the clip (and thus the side of the toolhead) or you put the tape between the wafer and the bottom of the toolhead?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...