Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scheel roller delayed buffer

14 minutes ago, texasdawg said:

Couldnt resist, installed the buffer system  into my pcc. The install was easy and I set the springs up like the instructions said. It is definitely a different set up than what I had. The setup allows the bolt to go past the bolt catch. Not what I want, so I installed a 25# wave spring as a spacer/bumper behind the supplied bumper. Still goes to the bolt catch and catches, but just barely. Will do for now. Going to break it in with 100gn bullets at a 135pf in a steel challenge match tomorrow. More testing to follow,,,

Buffer system before was a kynshot 5007 with the weight and a 25# wave spring and a tubbs flatwire carbine spring with the weight in the bolt. I took the weight out for this test with the new buffer.

20210710_114135.jpg

Is your system sticky? If I charge the system, it doesn't go back into battery on its own.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

StripedLizard, if I ease the bolt back it will stop short of closing most times. If I rack the bolt like normal when loading it closes on the bolt every time. I have a side charging QC10 upper. You can see in the picture I loaded that the spring is lighter and shorter than the spring I had in it before. Way different. The system is different enough that I'm starting over on the logic behind the best parameters for operation. I had a pretty good working system down pat and now everything is different.

So, no outdoor match this past weekend. I did get to shoot last night at an indoor match, but it was only about 80 rounds worth. I shot half the match with 100gn bullets and half the match with 124gn bullets from my CO gun. Didnt seem that much different, maybe a little softer recoil and a little more accurate with the 124s. Gun functioned 100% with no malfunctions. No problems charging the gun or unloading for ULSC. Double taps were as quick as with other buffer system.

I will start testing different spring combos in the buffer and bullet weights to try to make the recoil better. Hoping for a flatter shooting gun than I had before. Tonight was about the same as before so there is promise.

On 7/9/2021 at 11:22 AM, mgkrs said:

The website has said "This store is not accepting payments" for me for several weeks now, how did you put in an order?

The website is fixed. We finally have a payment processing bank that is firearm friendly. This should be a permanent solution to our issues. 

Thanks for being patient. 

Had a chance to shoot an outdoor 7 stage match, about 180 rounds. My setup in the buffer for this match was two heavy springs in space 1 and 2 and one light spring in space 3. Used a spacer at the bottom of the recoil spring to make it short-stroked and not catch the LRBH. Shot around 100 rounds of 100gn and 80ish rounds of 124gn. 

On the clock the recoil seemed the same, but 124s seemed to be less affected by recoil and easier to shoot fast. Cycling the action to load and unload is harder to do but not impossible with a side charging upper.

I will try a heavy spring in space 3 next and continue testing loads. I feel my gun runs better than it did before.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, just got in my buffer for my Steel Challenge gun.  Any suggestions for where to start with the springs (aside from using the lighter recoil spring).  I'm currently using #1/heavy #2/light for USPSA, but haven't had enough time to really experiment.  So far that's working well.

ETA: what do you use to force the rollers to retract when you have it set up for heavy recoil?  I find it difficult (may be just me) to push in both rollers with strong springs installed.

Edited by LowSpeedHighDrag

Im running 2 heavy and 1 light spring right now. Working on loads for uspsa pcc class.

I take the upper off the lower and hold the lower between my hands with the buttstock in my chest. I press the rollers in with my fingers and let the spring push the buffer out. Works for me,,,

On 7/29/2021 at 4:12 PM, texasdawg said:

Im running 2 heavy and 1 light spring right now. Working on loads for uspsa pcc class.

I take the upper off the lower and hold the lower between my hands with the buttstock in my chest. I press the rollers in with my fingers and let the spring push the buffer out. Works for me,,,

I've started to use a pair of M14 flash suppressor nut pliers to remove the buffer:

https://www.fulton-armory.com/flashsuppressornutpliersm14.aspx

It allows me to easily put pressure on both rollers at the same time.  Makes tinkering with the adjustments much easier.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The Scheel delayed roller system works great. Their are numerous grand master and master class shooters using it. I shot one at the PCC nationals and it was the fastest and smoothest PCC I have ever shot. Way better then my JP GM13. I saw Todd Jarrett shoot it at the practice bay. His comment was that his pcc was the smoothest shooting until he shot Scheels Davinci with the roller buffer system. I bought one and tested it yesterday. Put 400 rounds through it without an issue and it had much less recoil.  I was shooting an A zone steel at 25 yards as fast as I could pull the trigger

On 9/8/2021 at 2:26 AM, CoreyScheel said:

I finally made a video showing the workings of the buffer and how to install.  https://youtu.be/h5qTnU7ZaTs

This is really interesting👍

If I understand correctly there will be some play in the locked position (Up to one buffer tube thread)

I would think that no play would be better, both for wear and function? but maybe it needs that play to get the speed of the bolt up before the rollers can disengage? 

Is the blue bumper(?) part of the buffer, spring loaded?

Will there be an A5 buffer tube version?

Finally and most importantly, can you ship to Europe?🙂

On 10/24/2021 at 12:03 PM, Ty27328 said:

The Scheel delayed roller system works great. Their are numerous grand master and master class shooters using it. I shot one at the PCC nationals and it was the fastest and smoothest PCC I have ever shot. Way better then my JP GM13. I saw Todd Jarrett shoot it at the practice bay. His comment was that his pcc was the smoothest shooting until he shot Scheels Davinci with the roller buffer system. I bought one and tested it yesterday. Put 400 rounds through it without an issue and it had much less recoil.  I was shooting an A zone steel at 25 yards as fast as I could pull the trigger

We need video footage lol

• 2 weeks later...

Installed the system on my PCC today, noticed that the written directions and the video had the initial spring installation reversed. Strong vs weak in position 1 and 2. I went with the written directions. 

When I pulled the charging handle back with my TACCOM  short stroke bolt installed the bolt was stuck to the rear and caught on the hammer I believe.  I had to unscrew the buffer tube then pull pins and separate the receivers to get the bolt out.  When I put in a regular bolt it hand cycled fine.

Unfortunately it was -15 outside so didn’t get out to shoot it.

Question for those using the system. Do you have the bolt weight in or out?

16 minutes ago, AKJD said:

Installed the system on my PCC today, noticed that the written directions and the video had the initial spring installation reversed. Strong vs weak in position 1 and 2. I went with the written directions. 

When I pulled the charging handle back with my TACCOM  short stroke bolt installed the bolt was stuck to the rear and caught on the hammer I believe.  I had to unscrew the buffer tube then pull pins and separate the receivers to get the bolt out.  When I put in a regular bolt it hand cycled fine.

Out.

12 hours ago, AKJD said:

That's a bummer if it doesn't work with the taccom bolt. Not sure how the buffer would cause that though. Do you have the buffer retaining pin still in? Could it be getting caught on that?

I bought the system and installed it as per the video and instructions.  I screwed the tube in until I felt resistance.  More on that later.

I fired the 100 break in rounds and was astounded by the amount of recoil.  Action was very violent, even with the weight in the bolt.  I finished the 100 rounds with a sore shoulder.

I took the gun home, cleaned it, installed three heavy springs in the buffer and screwed the buffer tube in so that the edge of the tube was right on the back edge of the buffer retaining pin hole.  I sent pictures to Cory.  He said the installation looked correct.  I plan to shoot it again this week set up as discussed.  I'll shoot it with and without the bolt weight.  If the action is still violent, I'll swap out the blue spring for a 5.56 carbine spring.

On another note, the short stroke adapters that are supplied do not make it an actual short stroke. You'll need another 3/4" of spacers to do that.

1 hour ago, mgkrs said:

That's a bummer if it doesn't work with the taccom bolt. Not sure how the buffer would cause that though. Do you have the buffer retaining pin still in? Could it be getting caught on that?

I have a PCC with an AR-15 lower and Taccom bolt (weight removed), Taccom ULW barrel, Hiperfire PDI trigger, and Scheel buffer.  Run fines.

9 minutes ago, zzt said:

I bought the system and installed it as per the video and instructions.  I screwed the tube in until I felt resistance.  More on that later.

I fired the 100 break in rounds and was astounded by the amount of recoil.  Action was very violent, even with the weight in the bolt.  I finished the 100 rounds with a sore shoulder.

My GMR-13 with a Scheel buffer and Taccom ULW barrel runs with fairly light recoil.  Tested it against the new Taccom air buffer and preferred the Scheel.

Have you tried experimenting with different springs in the buffer?

I tried it in my Davinci and it worked great.

I tried it in another PCC with a Taccom short stroke bolt and like the guy above, when charging, the bolt goes too far back and gets stuck to the point that I have to back off the buffer tube to get it out.

I emailed Corey and he said to add a few quarters under the bumper, I have not tried this yet

2 hours ago, mgkrs said:

The buffer retainer is removed.  I believe the hammer was catching in the notch on the bottom of the TACCOM bolt which is the top bolt in the picture.  I put a longer spacer in along with 4 quarters to shorten the stroke and it cycles without hanging up now.

268915DF-8501-462C-8EF0-141811284C11.jpeg

26 minutes ago, AKJD said:

The buffer retainer is removed.  I believe the hammer was catching in the notch on the bottom of the TACCOM bolt which is the top bolt in the picture.  I put a longer spacer in along with 4 quarters to shorten the stroke and it cycles without hanging up now.

268915DF-8501-462C-8EF0-141811284C11.jpeg

The TACCOM ESSB bolt HAS to be short stroked....or YUP, the hammer will catch the notch.

Well I went down to the range this afternoon to try the adjusted setup.  Three heavy springs in the buffer, blue recoil spring, no weight in the bolt and short stroked.  More recoil and dot bounce than with my old setup.  Tried it with the bolt weight in.  Same, same.  Then I substituted a 5.56 JP carbine spring for the Sheel blue spring.  That toned things down, but I still had more recoil and dot bounce that my old setup.  I only shot 30 rounds  The brass seemed a little cleaner, but the action was dirty.  I can't imaging anyone wanting to shoot 132PF loads with this setup, at least not in my Leadstar Prime.

I'm going back to the old setup which was 12.5 oz. bolt, Blitzkrieg standard hydraulic buffer, their 3/4" short stroke slug, JP 308 carbine recoil spring and the shorter MPX short stroke plug in an A5 tube.