Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DW PM9 vs Ruger Koenig 9mm

RGC

I need (well, want) to get back to my single stack competition days.

I am very comfortable doing trigger jobs, fire control alterations.

That being said, and looking to grab a 20K a year runner, any comments on what I should look for (I have owned Infinity, STI trojans/sentry,etc so know the feel etc).

I need to undercut the trigger guard as an added comment.

Thanks!!

Between the two and only those two, PM9 hands down. I've shot both and IMO the PM9 is the better gun. I currently have a PM9 and a BUL Trophy SAW SS 9mm. Between those two it's a hard choice. Currently I'm liking the BUL better but that may he because it's new and is the tri tone model. And came with lots of extras. 

14 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

Between the two and only those two, PM9 hands down. I've shot both and IMO the PM9 is the better gun. I currently have a PM9 and a BUL Trophy SAW SS 9mm. Between those two it's a hard choice. Currently I'm liking the BUL better but that may he because it's new and is the tri tone model. And came with lots of extras. 

Hmm, so If you had to buy a Bul or PM9 right now, which would you lean to?

I had a pm9 for a few years.  nice tight accurate gun. slide is a bit heavy for a 9mm imho.

I just got a ruger koenig 45 a couple months ago (prize table), and it is a little nicer in every respect. the trigger is awesome right out of the box, but I'm also a flat trigger fan. the slide looks traditional but is about an oz lighter than my sti trojan slide. Feels to me like the sights settle a little quicker. The trigger guard is more undercut than any other 1911 I've handled, but that's not saying that much.

if they were the same price, I'd buy the ruger, especially if you like flat triggers. If the pm9 is $200-300 cheaper, I'd probably go that direction.

Edited by motosapiens

On 3/15/2021 at 3:40 PM, RGC said:

Hmm, so If you had to buy a Bul or PM9 right now, which would you lean to?

Problem is finding a BUL right now. I own a BUL Trophy 1911 right now in .40. I'd like to buy another one, but the only stock (at least in the States) are the standard 1911 government models. You get a lot of upgrades with the Trophy model like a fiber optic sight, magwell, tuned trigger, and ambi safety. For that reason I'm looking to buy a PM-9 since I want a 9mm 1911.

Okay, to be clear.

Lets just say that you had these 3 pistols on the table in front of you....any of which you can have for $100.   AND, you will be removing/refining the trigger group anyway and tuning to 1.8lb pull with nar zero reset.  So trigger group gone or modified.  

What would you buy and why?

Dan Wesson PM9

Ruger Koenig

Bul Trophy SAW

May need another thread opened lol.......

• 2 months later...
On 3/15/2021 at 1:14 AM, Bakerjd said:

On 3/15/2021 at 3:43 PM, motosapiens said:

I had a pm9 for a few years.  nice tight accurate gun. slide is a bit heavy for a 9mm imho.

I just got a ruger koenig 45 a couple months ago (prize table), and it is a little nicer in every respect. 

The implicit assumption that all PM9's or R.Koenig guns are the same quality might be a bold assumption. 

Over the years, I've had at least three PM9s as I've gone in and out of single stack. Impossible to go wrong with the gun. Customer service - in my experience - was fantastic.

This was several years back, but I was having issues with my reloads being a little too long for the chamber. So I called Dan Wesson to ask about sending the barrel back for an adjustment. I fully planned to pay for it. But they paid for the shipping both ways and did the work on the gun for free.

I’ve seen and held a couple of DW PM9’s at the range and I’m impressed with the quality. It’s on my short list of my next 1911 to buy if I find a good deal. 

As for Ruger 1911 DK’s. I have not seen one at the range or at any matches. That alone might mean something 🤔

9 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

The implicit assumption that all PM9's or R.Koenig guns are the same quality might be a bold assumption. 

it's pretty much the assumption of *any* thread asking what gun I should buy. All I did was report my experience with the 2 guns in question.

6 hours ago, hiker88 said:

As for Ruger 1911 DK’s. I have not seen one at the range or at any matches. That alone might mean something 🤔

i don't think they've been out that long. I saw 4-5 at SS nationals. Other than randy rogers in 19th and me in 35th I don't know how anyone else did shooting them.

On 6/5/2021 at 5:03 PM, motosapiens said:

it's pretty much the assumption of *any* thread asking what gun I should buy. All I did was report my experience with the 2 guns in question.

Agreed. Gun to gun consistency is often assumed, no experience with DW here, my experience with Ruger is that they will no hassle warranty it if it is not within their specs but quality control is more similar to mass production than to custom. 

55 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Agreed. Gun to gun consistency is often assumed, no experience with DW here, my experience with Ruger is that they will no hassle warranty it if it is not within their specs but quality control is more similar to mass production than to custom. 

I only have 1 experience with their custom shop guns (which are made in a different location, as I'm sure you know), and no experience with their normal production guns. Although I picked up a cert for an SR1911 off the prize table, so I do have one on the way.

PM9 is an outstanding gun - mine worked well with Chip Mccormick 10 round mags, 147 Blues, and TG.  It got a little smokey at FL State for some morning stages but overall a very soft shooting gun and load.  Of note, that load was very accurate for coated bullets - 1" at 20 yds.  Admittedly I had to try a few different mags before settling on CMs.