Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DW PM9 vs Ruger Koenig 9mm

RGC

I have both the Dan Wesson PM9 and the Ruger Koening 45.  Both guns for the money are an excellent choice.  My Dan Wesson PM9 is my favorite hand gun.  I added Techwell grips and magwell to the gun and use this firearm in IDPA ESP Division.  The 9mm Ruger Koening comes with the Techwell magwell and grips, but the 45 does not.  I changed the grips on the Ruger Koening 45 to Techwell grips and Magwell.

Update on my preference. BUL Trophy SAW. I just got done setting up my DW PM9, blended magwell, trigger tuning, ect... and it just doesnt cycle like my BULs. I'm on the fence of tinkering a little more with tuning recoil spring, firing pin stop (they use a square cut one) and seeing if that will help but my go to now days is the trophy SAW 9mm. I have two and while slide to frame fit isnt as tight, a good thing IMO, barrel lock up, recoil impulse, sights are better. All 3 I use a 135gn DG bullet over 3.4gn of titegroup with various primers and range pick up brass. I can consistently get .18 splits with all 3 but the BULs I can do 2A with in 1/16th of an inch 95% of the time and the front sight comes back super fast. With the DW the shots are spread out further and I feel like I'm waiting on the front sight. YMMV, Josh

• 2 weeks later...

I just got the Bul 1911 Classic and will be putting in some quality non MIMed parts.  Wanted the Trophy Classic but OOS everywhere.  Only issue is the Classic doesn't have adjustable rear sight so that maybe a no go for some.  The Trophy Classic is about $700-$800 more.  I figure after the upgrades the cost will be close between the two.  Maybe another option to look into if you like tinkering and upgrading.