Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

List of primers you have used for open guns

BigBamBoo

So with the current primer shortage going on, I thought having a list of what folks have used for primers for open would be helpful to others.

Please add to the list and include any preferences or issues you may had have with any particular brand.

I reload on a 1050 and have exclusively only used small rifle primers, and here are ones I have personally used.

No issues with any of the below. I prefer Fed GM, but “just because”. All have shot well in my open guns an no discernible difference in accuracy between any of them:

Federal Gold Match SRP (GM205)

Federal Gold Match AR SRP (GM205AR) was worried these might be too hard to set off but no issues

CCI 400

Winchester SRP

Wolf SRP

Edited by BigBamBoo

Also interesting if people know chrono velocity effects of open loads by only changing primers. 

I use win srp currently the most. Just chrono’d some with fiocci small pistol due to shortage and lost nearly 50fps. Small sample test so can’t rule out other factors. 

prior to win small rifle I was use fed small pistol magnum and they were much closer to rifle primer velocity. 

Federal, Winchster, CCI, Wolf, Remington & Magtech off the top of my head.

I haven't found a small rifle primer that won't work in an Open gun, although I haven't really tried.

I don't like the Wolf or Magtech, but they worked.

Tried some S&B small pistol and they wouldn’t set off my full cases. Squib like issues. Pushed powder and bullet forward about 1/8”. Thought I had a contamination issue until I just primed some cases and fired them in the garage. Barely any flame with those junk primers compared to ALL others I tested.

I remember reading an article in some gun magazine a decade or two ago that compared various primers and brands for brisance and construction, but didn't find it in the 30 second Gargle search (Primer Brisance) I just ran.  I did find some information I had seen previously that looked useful.

https://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=56422.0

https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1203/1203.2701.pdf

https://forums.sassnet.com/index.php?/topic/289432-small-pistol-primer-brisance/

Nolan

Have tried various small rifle and small pistol magnum primers in my 9 major loads and haven’t found any appreciable difference or benefit compared to the CCI 500 primer which is what I use as a benchmark.

I recently received 20k of Rem 5.5 and 20k of Rem 1.5 primers.  The 5.5 are fine in 9 major loads and the 1.5 are fine in my production loads.  Took a little bit of adjustment on primer seating depth with the Rem primers as they’re .005” taller than the CCI and actually need to be seated a bit deeper to get reliable ignition.

Also, .005” x 100 = .05”, so 100 primers just barely fit in a Dillon primer pickup tube.

Federal, Winchster, CCI, Wolf, Remington and tula 

ive used small rifle, small pistol, and small pistol magnum.  I tried small rifle magnum but had some shots where my hammer spring would touch them off.  I was messing with spring weights at that time and i cant actually say that ive tried them with a 17lb or not. 

Guys, 

Restricted Content
Politics
Policy and political discussions or debates of any kind - even if you consider your opinions to be "facts" - are not welcome anywhere in the forum.
Specifically including (but not limited to):
• USPSA vs IPSC
• IPSC vs IDPA
• STI vs SVI
• Limited 10 vs Limited Division
• This Division vs That Division
• This Government vs That Government
• Gun Control Issues

2 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

Guys, 

Restricted Content
Politics
Policy and political discussions or debates of any kind - even if you consider your opinions to be "facts" - are not welcome anywhere in the forum.
Specifically including (but not limited to):
• USPSA vs IPSC
• IPSC vs IDPA
• STI vs SVI
• Limited 10 vs Limited Division
• This Division vs That Division
• This Government vs That Government
• Gun Control Issues

What did I miss?

Just now, 36873687 said:

😂 I did the same they for 223. Had lots good luck with s&b spp. 

Me too. Couple years ago, Cabelas was blowing them out for $15/1000. Went thru 20,000 in minor loads, worked great even in lightly sprung Tanfo. 

Does 9mm for Limited Minor and IDPA count?  

Dillon 550

Colt and S&A 1911oids

WW, Fed, CCI Small Pistol; OK

CCI SP Magnum; OK

WW, Fed Small Rifle; OK

Wolf, Rem Small Pistol; NO

CCI BR4 Small Rifle Match;  NO

I was stunned to get misfires from Remington 1 1/2, I hadn't expected much out of Wolf brand.  

I gather that CCI BR4 is of magnum specs.  I am getting use out of them by hand priming with a hard squeeze; those have fired so far.

I've used everything, SP, SPM, SR, and SRM.  Right now, I have almost exclusively SRM because those weren't selling out right away when the nonsense started, so I stocked up knowing they'd work.