Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Federal Primers

BadShot

I have a good supply of Federal Small Pistol primers for my revolver.  Would they be safe to use in my 9mm major open gun?  I'm using 6.8gr of AutoComp with 124gr JHP bullets.

Thanks
Nope. Send them to me. There's rifle primers a plenty out there

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I use the Federal Small Rifle 205 for 9mm major.

The small pistol has a softer cup.

Only way to know for sure is to load 10 or 20 up and go shoot them and inspect

the primer hit. 

If the primer hit is pushed back out and smearing then not a good sign.

Nope. Send them to me. There's rifle primers a plenty out there

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I don't know what your talking about. Last primers I saw were large rifle magnum match. Little much for a dab of autocomp. Great for 100 gains rl33 tho. I bought the last brick. I haven't seen any of anything.

The federals SHOULD be fine. It's what I used. Give them a test.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Hello: The Federal small pistol primers with your load will have flattened primers. As long as you are not getting any blow by or pierceing the primer you should be ok. When I tried them years ago I was getting blow by and they were really flattened. That was with 115's and 3N37. Thanks, Eric

11 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: The Federal small pistol primers with your load will have flattened primers. As long as you are not getting any blow by or pierceing the primer you should be ok. When I tried them years ago I was getting blow by and they were really flattened. That was with 115's and 3N37. Thanks, Eric

Thanks for the answer.  Sounds like they are at least safe to give them a try.  I was worried that they might not hold up at all.  I only plan to use them if the supply gets really short.

1 minute ago, Boomstick303 said:

I would be able to buy a decent used car pretty soon if I were to participate in the Gun Broker auction.

I wonder how so many of these guys are certified to pack and ship hazmat packages.

“It’s only illegal if you get caught”.... might be their mindset, if you know what I mean. ;) 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Federal Primers are fine to use in an open gun. I use them in mine simply because I bought thousands for my Production gun and I now use them for both. I have only ever used small pistol for Open, never small rifle. Small rifle work, but there is no real need. 

Edited by abb1

• 2 months later...
On 9/21/2020 at 8:17 PM, BadShot said:

I have a good supply of Federal Small Pistol primers for my revolver.  Would they be safe to use in my 9mm major open gun?  I'm using 6.8gr of AutoComp with 124gr JHP bullets.

Thanks

yes they work good, no problems at all