Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What are your shooting goals for the next 12 months?

-JCN-

• 2 weeks later...

Ha! Revolver is the realest division in the sport, thank you. It's just people don't want to get good at something hard.

Speaking of which, my attainable goal in the next year is Revo B (I'm knocking on the door), and my stretch goal is Revo A. (Unlikely, but I'm hoping winter dry fire and some extra live fire practice next year will help me get there.)

Revolver classifiers are easier, ask me how I know... 🙂 

Actually, revolver classifiers are what classifiers used to be before all the top guys in other divisions bumped up HHF. As someone who shots revolver for fun and only from time to time, with regular daily dry fire training in Limited (my primary division) and some revolver reloading practice, I got my highest classification in Revolver. Heck, I was thinking about the easiest way of making M in Limited - get a GM in Revolver (need just 3 more good scores). 

3 minutes ago, waktasz said:

It could be the hardest thing in the world but if you're the only guy in the division at every match you go to how interesting can it be?

You compare yourself to the non-race divisions. It's the same stage and the same principles, so you have fun with your squad no matter what you shoot... The way PCC or CO guys were "lonely" when those divisions just started. 

My goal is to stay young and fit enough that I don't have to consider taking up revolver.

Seriously, I'm not super goal-oriented, at least towards specific goals like 'do x classifier in y time', or 'finish in the top z of my division at Area match'. My goal is to simply get better. so I work on the things that I am the worst at, that are costing me the most time. I made pretty significant gains in match finishes over the last year or two, and I mostly did it by wasting less time, calling shots better, gripping the gun better, and shooting more while moving. Classifier scores haven't really changed over that time except for being more consistent, but match scores have improved bigly. So it's probably time this winter to focus a bit more on classifier skills and try to make another great leap forward before I turn 60 next summer.

18 hours ago, waktasz said:

It could be the hardest thing in the world but if you're the only guy in the division at every match you go to how interesting can it be?

Extremely interesting, so far, although it helps that there's a regular revolver guy to chase at one of the matches I try to hit every month. If not, as IVC said, I just set my score viewer to L10, SS, Prod, and Revolver, and if I'm beating semi-auto people of around the same classification, I can call it a good match.

18 hours ago, IVC said:

Actually, revolver classifiers are what classifiers used to be before all the top guys in other divisions bumped up HHF.

This makes sense, given how many people who shoot the division seem to have Revolver Ms and up.

My first goal is to get better at stage planning and remembering it while shooting the stage.

Second is to shoot an entire match without flubbing a single stage.

Third is no mikes for 5 matches in a row.

Fourth is to get enough primers so I can shoot all of next year.

Goals? Move up from a low CO-B in USPSA to a strong B, and in Steel from in both CO/RFPO, up to A.

How?

1) Consistent hammering of speed on beep-to-first-shot. Specifically, draws, draws, and more draws.

2) Quicker movement between shooting positions. Specifically, sprinting drills w/ dry firearm.

3) Decreasing my double-tap times. Specifically, performing dedicated live-fire drills testing what i can, and cannot get away with on that second shot while staying in the A Zone.

[I have my own 'playground' that i built 100' from my back door, so i have no excuse. ]

All things being equal, my hits are generally better than my peers, but my stage times are consistently slower. This is killing my HF. At last Saturdays Level II match, I had a stage with 31 alphas, 1 charley. Sounds great as it was highest point total for the match in CO, but i was a good two seconds slower than my peers, and three seconds off of the fast guys. This equals 'I suck. "

I've got to become more efficient and proficient.

{Side note: Remember when Limited was packed and hardly anyone shot CO? Now it's the opposite.🤔

Edited by BentAero

On 9/13/2020 at 6:55 PM, ML123 said:

My goal is to get reloading room setup so I have ammo to shoot next year.  That is of course if I can find primers.

I am new this year and have so many things to work on its almost overwhelming. 

Take things one at a time and have fun. One thing that helped me was I made a list of what needed the most work check one off go to the next.

Short term goal, less then 30 days.

- dry fire 6 days a week consistently. Just ordered Ben's dry fire reloaded book and mini target kit.

Medium term goal, 3 months.

- continue dry fire practice 6 days a week, but get times down to expert level.

Long term goal, 6 months.

- shoot a match with no forgotten targets.

- less then 5 Mike's for a match.

I'm not going to stress myself on making a certian class yet. For 3 years I've shot and while I though I was getting better my last 3 months (a years worth of matches crammed into it) I have found that the stagnant times off not shooting any matches from around october of last year till june of this year, and no practice of which I never really did has me looking like a fool at matches. I'm tired of it, and its making me not enjoy the sport. So now I'm going full speed ahead to fix it.