Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What are your shooting goals for the next 12 months?

-JCN-

1. Make it to the rest of the years monthly pin matches.
Learn to index with the dot on my recently completed pin gun (little to NO dot experience)

Find the perfect  straight wall case carbine for my needs.

1 banking favors so I can get coworkers to cover my shift on 1st sat of month

2. Really need to do some dry fire index training from low ready. Combined with some first shot react to timer drills..

3. Well side effect of above banking favors means a few more OT days,,, so just need to get off rear and actively see whats out there.

1. Practice more. Setting a performance goal would be pretty arbitrary - I cannot control who shows up to matches or how much effort they put in. But I can control that for me, and if I put in the time the results will follow. 

2. accountability and an equally committed training partner. 

Total honesty, this is a copy of what I have taped to my bathroom mirror currently. They went up August 1st. Notice none of them rely on another person, they have a time component, they are achievable/reasonable, they are specific and they are measurable. My short term goals change every month until I reach the mid term date. Then everything starts over again.

Short Term Goals by Sept 1st, 2020

• Daily classifier skill focused dry fire
  • Minimum one live fire session per week
  • 1.0 second reload live fire 4 Aces drill
  • 100% runs on two of my practice classifiers
  • Assess my systemic weaknesses to address in future practice

Mid Term Goals by Feb 1st, 2021

• Purchase another match gun. Rotate current match gun to practice status
  • Attend classifier match
  • Shoot 4 of my practice classifiers 100%
  • Attend two level 2 or greater matches
  • Close the 0.50 Captains of Crush for 20 seconds in both hands

Long Term Goal by Aug 1, 2021

• Make GM in Production division
Edited by rowdyb

Moving to Sarasota area in the next 5 weeks. Need to find a range I can regularly train at and establish a schedule. I'm sure nothing I will find will be as convenient as the club I have now so it's sort of disappointing in that regard. 

My tendonitis can’t handle playing with the CoC.  Lifting weights 4x week and 2x week Live fire  is hurting already.  And I need to get back to daily dryfire, gotten lazy. It’s now in both elbows not just the left.  I admit I have not been using the bands nor stretching as much as I should (if at all.....)

I think people who use them tend to overuse them and also not incorporate band training so they throw off the muscle balance and see injuries.

I keep a #1 at my desk and crank out a quick 5 reps with each hand once or twice a day that's immediately followed up with 10 reps on the band.

My goal is to dry fire at least 5 days a week and live fire once a week. Also to make Expert in IDPA. Also drop 30 pounds to keep myself better in shape. Shoot a large regional match. I want to do USPSA, but it shoots on Sunday around me. I may just shoot the Area 4 match next year and see how I do.

My goals for the next 6 months heading into next season is to dry fire at least 3 times a week for a minimum of 20 minutes and shoot 1 match a month. As Wisconsin winter kicks in I'll move to daily dry fire till matches start in the spring.

Outside of actually shooting, my goal is to focus more on the fitness and agility side of things. I tore my meniscus last summer and I've been working in PT to help alleviate pain and get back stability but now I need to get my fitness back to where it was. With this fitness goal I want to incorporate dry fire while moving to work more on my footwork.

I think this is the low hanging fruit for me. I think I can save more time working on explosive movement and shooting earlier than I can on actual gun handling.

Ammo scarcity will impact some of this as well. I started reloading this past year so I'll be good for a year or so of components but if everything is still hard to find next year I'll be doing more rimfire SC.

23 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

Captains Of Crush 0.5 is 120lbs 

I knew it had to be more than 0.5 lbs - even Open shooters have to do more than 0.5 lbs on the trigger alone... lol. 

My goal is to start shooting Master level classifiers in match mode, where I can use them as regular stages in the match and know where the hits went with no marginal shots that cannot be made up on a Virginia count classifiers (most of them). 

The primary way to get there is actually the counterintuitive work on hard, long-distance shots on timer. Consistency and precision are the key, followed by visual patience to accept mistakes and take extra time when something goes wrong to ensure hitting the target, instead of rushing and shooting at the target, hoping for a hit in the point-shooting mode. 

Due to the pandemic hosing half the year, my goals for this year are to just continue to dry fire regularly, and continue to steadily improve, and go to matches. This is going to be a building year. Next year, I plan on dedicating more time and setting real goals.

On 8/23/2020 at 7:06 PM, waktasz said:

Moving to Sarasota area in the next 5 weeks. Need to find a range I can regularly train at and establish a schedule. I'm sure nothing I will find will be as convenient as the club I have now so it's sort of disappointing in that regard. 

Whoa, enjoy the new location!  Thanks for leaving your bass behind for me.