Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Minor

HCH

1 hour ago, SGT_Schultz said:

His problem is that he bought junk.

Limit yourself to Trijicon and you'll be fine.

OK, I’ll bite. What is considered junk? Burris, Vortex, Holoson, Leupoid, Shield, etc....

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Stafford said:

OK, I’ll bite. What is considered junk? Burris, Vortex, Holoson, Leupoid, Shield, etc....

Anything that isn't Trijicon is junk.

Disclaimer: Holosun products appear to be quite durable but they're Chinese so, hard pass.

10 hours ago, Stafford said:

I watched this last night and now see why Trijicon is king for self-defense and all-around purposes. However, if you're only running a dot for competition, some of the others will be just fine. However, this video was a good review for several with their pros and cons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xht17ddnaA

I shoot limited minor fairly often while fully understanding the limits of this.  Reasons: i dont care that much about my placement so long as i satisify myself with how i shot. 2nd if i have a friend shooting and like the head to head trash talk match.  3rd i have helped several new shooters get started and find that handing them complexity in bites instead of the firehose they have more fun and since many new shooters are shooting what they have (9mm with 15 rd mags and irons) LM is easier than the production stage planning. for the beginners i think they benefit shooting what they have instead of getting on the internet and buying stuff right off

4 hours ago, Stafford said:

I watched this last night and now see why Trijicon is king for self-defense and all-around purposes. However, if you're only running a dot for competition, some of the others will be just fine. However, this video was a good review for several with their pros and cons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xht17ddnaA

If you say so....

I ran it because shot 3 gun at the time and didn't want to reload for 40. If your just having fun it is ok. If you are trying to be really competitive it is a disadvantage except on steel stages. Sometimes it does save you a reload.

On 7/8/2020 at 7:08 PM, Ericm1231 said:

I ran it because shot 3 gun at the time and didn't want to reload for 40. If your just having fun it is ok. If you are trying to be really competitive it is a disadvantage except on steel stages. Sometimes it does save you a reload.

I think the only true reload/nonreload advantage comes on the 24 round all paper stages, when I see one of them....

ff1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been going back and forth on this in my head for a months now. For me I'll be going from major to minor in limited for a while. There are a few reasons for this. I have a lot of nerve damage in my hands/elbows and major with about as soft as you can get it and still make PF hurts about half way through a match, about stage 4 or 5. By the end of the day I'm done. Can barely hold steering wheel to drive home. Second reason is I havent put the practice in to have a big enough difference in scoring to matter, sure I get a lot of alphas but I need to work on stage planning, transitions, speed, ect... all of these will benefit me more then major scoring at this point. And 9mm is cheaper to reload, or buy. 

I am 71 and been shooting uspsa for 25 years.  After buying and trying different guns i found the most fun was using my carry guns at matches.

Not trying to be all Ninja, its just fun to see how you do going all out against the best shooting the best.

Picked up a pair Wilson Combat EDC x9s. So I am shooting Ltd Minor, its just a practical and fun way to run a match.

In Limited, I think scoring major is a pretty clear advantage. I've still just Limited minor for fun.

In Singlestack, I think the advantage is less clear.  Has anyone won a Singlestack Nationals shooting minor?  I seemed to recall there were definitely some top shooters choosing to shoot minor at the Nationals.

Top minor shooters by nationals placement, 2015-2020, from the matches I could find quickly on Practiscore and the USPSA page:

2020: 10th
2019: 7th
2018: 6th (but positions 2-5 in the overall scoring were Production shooters)
2017: 13th
2016: 20th
2015: 23rd

• 6 months later...
On 9/21/2020 at 1:24 AM, Bakerjd said:

I've been going back and forth on this in my head for a months now. For me I'll be going from major to minor in limited for a while. There are a few reasons for this. I have a lot of nerve damage in my hands/elbows and major with about as soft as you can get it and still make PF hurts about half way through a match, about stage 4 or 5. By the end of the day I'm done. Can barely hold steering wheel to drive home. Second reason is I havent put the practice in to have a big enough difference in scoring to matter, sure I get a lot of alphas but I need to work on stage planning, transitions, speed, ect... all of these will benefit me more then major scoring at this point. And 9mm is cheaper to reload, or buy. 

Going to update this a little. Been putting in a lot of dry fire, and live fire practice. All in SS minor. We have a new L2 match in MI starting this year that's Locap only, and then the next week is Locap Nats. So decision was easy. Buy new fancy SS minor gun, or 2. Not quite sure how I ended up getting two but ah well. Anyway long story short I had built a 9mm upper for my limited gun this last winter for SCSA. But now I'm gonna use it for USPSA as well. No reason not too IMO. I have all the stuff to reload 9mm and not 40. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/15/2020 at 12:29 AM, HCH said:

So, after reading the replies to this thread, I have confirmed some of my previous options as to why a guy might shoot Limited Minor:

1: This is what I have and I want to shoot. 

2: I have a 9mm, don’t want to make all those reloads during a stage,  don’t want to mess with a dot, and don’t really care about competing beyond level 1/level 2 matches. 

But what I don’t understand is competitor number 3:  

I like the sport; I practice both dry fire and live fire; and I’m willing to buy a new gun to complete with... but I really don’t want to load ammo or buy .40. 

Maybe there is just a lot more crossover between 2 and 3 than I realize. 

USPSA doesn't understand those competitors either which is why they continue to force them into participating in a division that props up .40...a caliber that a resounding majority of the gun buying public and law enforcement/military have no interest in.

It couldn't be more obvious that limited minor has the demand/interest to become the largest/most popular division...even with carry optics...but they refuse to split it out because....STUBBORN.

6 hours ago, BritinUSA said:

I wonder how long Limited would last if they removed the 10 round limit in Production, kept the magazines the same length but loaded to capacity…

May be why we aren't seeing that happen...

8 hours ago, Jeff226 said:

It couldn't be more obvious that limited minor has the demand/interest to become the largest/most popular division...even with carry optics...but they refuse to split it out because....STUBBORN.

The demand/interest in limited minor as an actual serious competition division is a tiny, tiny minority in a vast sea of newcomers who don't have a dot on their gun and didn't bring a bajillion mags for Production.

8 hours ago, BritinUSA said:

I wonder how long Limited would last if they removed the 10 round limit in Production, kept the magazines the same length but loaded to capacity…

i suspect alot of young girls and elderly people and baseball fans would switch.

I shoot Limited minor with my CZ TS2 and love it. I'm new to uspsa and am just excited to shoot a gun i really like. I also shoot a Bul SAS II in 40 for major but the minor/major scoring thing takes a backseat right now to the fun i'm having shooting guns I like. And I suspect there may be other women like me.

1 hour ago, jt1207 said:

I shoot Limited minor with my CZ TS2 and love it. I'm new to uspsa and am just excited to shoot a gun i really like. I also shoot a Bul SAS II in 40 for major but the minor/major scoring thing takes a backseat right now to the fun i'm having shooting guns I like. And I suspect there may be other women like me.

indeed, shooting minor in Lim and SS is fairly common for women, even at a high level. The first three ss minor shooters at locap nationals were all shooting minor (and they all beat me, but wait til next year!).

1 hour ago, DeweyH said:

I think this would affect production more than limited.  Instead of the heavy guns being mandatory, the highest capacity would become the dominant factor.  

are heavy guns “mandatory “? how heavy was the production national champ’s gun?