Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone try the DAA dryfire mags in a 2011?

MJinPA

Thinking about getting some and looking for feedback.

Any issues locking in place?

Do they have a real mag feel? Aside from being polymer I’m wondering how they feel when seating, ejecting etc.

Did you have to dremel them basepad to fit your magwell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by MJinPA
Typo

Have 3 for 2011.  For reference, I've got a Hays custom guns 2011 in 9mm.  The mags lock in place without any slop, and they go in easily and drop cleanly.  I did not have to Dremel on them or modify them in any way.  There's no issue with the magwell that is on the gun which is a Dawson ICE.

They do feel like they are a little bit more slick than standard mags so the action to seat is smooth.  Don't think it matters as much for releasing mags.  

If the intent is to set up some dry fire mags, check out a product called "Rack Buddy", much less expensive. Make some dummy rounds, load any number into your mag, and put the Rack Buddy on top. They work great in my 2011's. Plus you can use old base pads so they get beat up when you drop them, not your match pads.

Rack Buddy work well.  They are little 3D printed parts.  Depending on the sacrificial mag, you cannot always rack the slide without catching the rack buddy.  Probably due to jacked up feed lips.  

The DAA are cheaper than setting up dummy mags, unless you have a few old beat-up mags already to sacrifice.  Otherwise, 3 DAA ready to go for the price of a stock STI mag.

Edited by AustinWolv

I’m using a Cheely E2 with the Brass magwell. They fit and seat fine. Almost a little too fine. They go in way easier than an MBX mag loaded to 23. You can cheat a little on how hard you have to seat the mag. They eject, jump out of the gun just fine. I didn’t have to dremmel anything. I can rack the slide with the mag in place. It weighs 10.2 oz, where an MBX 140 loaded with 23 rounds of 9mm weighs 13.7 oz. The finish on them is a little slippery compared to a regular mag. After a few sessions with a little pro grip on the hands, they got less slippery. The advantage in my eyes is that you don’t have to spend the time loading and unloading mags with dummy rounds and sometimes a rack buddy. They are also a lot cheaper than a real mag. Also, you are probably going to get less trouble from ROs, etc if you practice reloads at the safe table with bright purple mags, if you like to do those kinds of things.

Edited by Silverscooby27

I think they are definitely worth it. Locks in place no problem in my Nemesis.  Like mentioned above, a little slick, but the weight feels good and you don't feel guilty man handling them if you don't have exclusive practice mags. Weight compares to an STI with 10 180GR 40SW. That red follower substitute is good, but it definitely won't be as tough if you are trying to get a 20+ round mag seated. But it will give you a little resistance so it doesn't feel like you popping in an empty mag. 

DAADryFireMag.jpg

Edited by Tabasco

• 2 years later...

Am glad that this thread exists! Five years ago I had a Bul Trophy and I've just got another one.
My main gripe with the Double Alpha dry fire magazine for the 1911 is that the mag body will push out the slide release lever (from the follower engagement tab) just enough to jam the slide when you try to rack the gun. The remedy is to back out the slide stop lever a bit. Other than that - another decent Double Alpha product!

Edited by Lior

• 5 months later...

The lip will break. When it does, I just put some electrical tape around the "tongue" that simulates the round/follower and make sure it's semi-rigidly stuck in place. After that, the "springiness" is gone, but they still work very well. 

I almost wish they offered two versions, one solid and one with moving parts. I'd get the solid one, simply because the other kind breaks. And if it doesn't break, you're likely too gentle 🙂 - missing reloads hard is part of learning and training. 

I thought I would add to the thread in that the DAA Dry Fire Mags originally worked with my first Athena, but did not work with the second Athena I bought.  This was due to the different mag release installed on the second Athena.  It would seem the mag release installed on the second Athena is to prevent over insertion of normal mags.  The first Athena can use the mags fine, but the updated Athena will not work with the DAA 2011 Dry Fire Mag unless you modify the mag a bit.  I have not tried to modify the magazine yet as I intend my first Athena to be my dry fire/practice/backup gun.  

Original Athena.jpg

Updated Atehna.jpg

Edited by Boomstick303

I dunno these seem to be pretty over complicated... I have blue solid plastic mags, that seem to have some lead shot in them or something that work fine, dont interfer with the slide,  nothing to break on them.