Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is the best red dot for an open gun?

GKARMS

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm running the Romeo 6 moa  XL and MAX. I came from the 5 Moa SRO which I loved but the glass size of the Romeo 3 is great. The SRO is the right sunlight would show 2 dots for me. The XL is like a big DPP which I liked but reliability was horrible. 

On 4/29/2020 at 10:07 AM, aandabooks said:

Do you know what mounting pattern this one uses?

The mounting screw spacing and rear recoil bosses are the same as a Venom (Viper,FF, Docter). I don't know if the front bosses align with any other red dot out there. In my case, I filed the front bosses off the optic plate (Canik) and it mounted just fine.

14 hours ago, Cam73 said:

The mounting screw spacing and rear recoil bosses are the same as a Venom (Viper,FF, Docter). I don't know if the front bosses align with any other red dot out there. In my case, I filed the front bosses off the optic plate (Canik) and it mounted just fine.

you are using one? is it any good?

On 5/1/2020 at 1:19 AM, gianmarko said:

you are using one? is it any good?

I haven't used it yet, but I don't find it to be particularly bright. I'm waiting for a sunny day to test it.

I put a Holosun 510c (red) on my open gun.  I loved the big circle & dot but... my eye doc says I'm "borderline cataract lens replacement" and I didn't think it was bright enough in the Florida sun, especially if it got a little bit of soot on the lens from the ejection port.  Took it off and put my C-More railway with 12 MOA dot back on.  I hate the fact that I have to turn it off between stages or it kills the battery, but man, is that big 'ol dot bright!

On 4/28/2020 at 8:57 PM, AverageJoeShooting said:

Get the ftp3 optic from alpha optics. Literally made in exactly the same factory to a different spec. Just as bright also and a few hundred cheaper 

The window isn't as big as the xl.

I'm a huge Holosun fan after trying them and directly comparing them to the other red dots.

If you can stand the weight, the 510c is one of the most durable, battery friendly, and largest optic red dots I've ever used.  

However, if you want something with a similar window size and a lot less weight, the Romeo 3 XL is much more of a race optic.  I do have to replace the battery every month - no exaggeration.  When I try to go two months, it likely goes out in the middle of a match toward the end of the 2 months.  I know battery qualities vary, but this isn't the only sight I use these batteries in.  

I can echo the guy here who said the dot stopped working.  

My first Romeo 3 XL stopped working after using it for a month.  I know at least one person (I believe is a member of this forum) who went through 3 regular Romeo 3's.  Each one breaking after about 10k rounds as a result of recoil.  My Romeo 3 XL did not break as a result of recoil, it broke as a result of the battery tray not being water proof, as advertised.    

Full disclosure: Initially, my gun was ejecting spent brass into the back of the Romeo 3 XL, messing up the finish.  So, I used 1500 grit sandpaper to hand sand the finish on the back of the sight. 

I was aware of the adhesive/rubber shock suppressors built into the rear of the sight and made sure not to mess those up.  The dot was working fine like this for several weeks. 

The dot didn't stop working until I got water on the battery tray while cleaning off dust from my shop.  After taking the tray out, the internals were all soaked.  The o-ring for the battery tray was wet on both sides. 

People can try to say me sanding the back of the sight with very fine grit sandpaper messed up the water resistance of the shock suppressors - but it didn't.  Sig didn't realize the sight wasn't water proof and tried to tell me the sanding on the back of the sight made the sight weaker and caused it to fail.  They gave me a "one-time only" replacement.

While we're on the topic, the HS407C is quite likely the best slide ride mounted dot out there if you can stand the small window.  It will likely last the longest, especially at that price, while offering a window size that is closer to the SRO than many people think.  (.9x.6)

28 minutes ago, duffdawg said:

I've been thinking of switching from the c-more. just lots of cash to switch since i've never shot a micro.

I switched from a C-more with 12 moa dot to a Holosun 510c.  I love the huge window and the circle dot.  But, I didn't find the circle dot bright enough on the Holosun.  It probably is bright enough, it's just that I'm borderline needing cataract lens replacement and until that happens I need more brightness than "normal" non-cloudy eyes.  I'm back to the C-More and that big ol' dot is great!  I also have the Holosun 507 on a carry gun I do find the 32 moa circle/dot bright enough to be effective.  But the window is much smaller than either the 510c or the C-More slide-ride.

58 minutes ago, Whoops! said:

The window isn't as big as the xl.

I'm a huge Holosun fan after trying them and directly comparing them to the other red dots.

If you can stand the weight, the 510c is one of the most durable, battery friendly, and largest optic red dots I've ever used.  

However, if you want something with a similar window size and a lot less weight, the Romeo 3 XL is much more of a race optic.  I do have to replace the battery every month - no exaggeration.  When I try to go two months, it likely goes out in the middle of a match toward the end of the 2 months.  I know battery qualities vary, but this isn't the only sight I use these batteries in.  

I can echo the guy here who said the dot stopped working.  

My first Romeo 3 XL stopped working after using it for a month.  I know at least one person (I believe is a member of this forum) who went through 3 regular Romeo 3's.  Each one breaking after about 10k rounds as a result of recoil.  My Romeo 3 XL did not break as a result of recoil, it broke as a result of the battery tray not being water proof, as advertised.    

Full disclosure: Initially, my gun was ejecting spent brass into the back of the Romeo 3 XL, messing up the finish.  So, I used 1500 grit sandpaper to hand sand the finish on the back of the sight. 

I was aware of the adhesive/rubber shock suppressors built into the rear of the sight and made sure not to mess those up.  The dot was working fine like this for several weeks. 

The dot didn't stop working until I got water on the battery tray while cleaning off dust from my shop.  After taking the tray out, the internals were all soaked.  The o-ring for the battery tray was wet on both sides. 

People can try to say me sanding the back of the sight with very fine grit sandpaper messed up the water resistance of the shock suppressors - but it didn't.  Sig didn't realize the sight wasn't water proof and tried to tell me the sanding on the back of the sight made the sight weaker and caused it to fail.  They gave me a "one-time only" replacement.

While we're on the topic, the HS407C is quite likely the best slide ride mounted dot out there if you can stand the small window.  It will likely last the longest, especially at that price, while offering a window size that is closer to the SRO than many people think.  (.9x.6)

the window should be the same size. its the exact same optic just made by a different guy

1 hour ago, mvmojo said:

I switched from a C-more with 12 moa dot to a Holosun 510c.  I love the huge window and the circle dot.  But, I didn't find the circle dot bright enough on the Holosun.  It probably is bright enough, it's just that I'm borderline needing cataract lens replacement and until that happens I need more brightness than "normal" non-cloudy eyes.  I'm back to the C-More and that big ol' dot is great!  I also have the Holosun 507 on a carry gun I do find the 32 moa circle/dot bright enough to be effective.  But the window is much smaller than either the 510c or the C-More slide-ride.

i know this is gonna sound dumb and i know that it's not about looks, But imo C-mores look so much better and they work i shot one micro now that i think about it forgot what brand and the dot was so small i think it was 3 moa

13 minutes ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

the window should be the same size. its the exact same optic just made by a different guy

It is not. I take it you have not looked at them in front of you in person? The window is smaller. The optics are not identical either. Made in the same factory does not mean identical. It’s not a dealbreaker by any means. I think I’m going to use the FTP for my carry optics guns. 

39 minutes ago, Posvar said:

It is not. I take it you have not looked at them in front of you in person? The window is smaller. The optics are not identical either. Made in the same factory does not mean identical. It’s not a dealbreaker by any means. I think I’m going to use the FTP for my carry optics guns. 

I just figured it was just a clone. 

I do agree that the holosun is the best red dot. Its what I use on my open gun

1 hour ago, Whoops! said:

I do have to replace the battery every month - no exaggeration.

Totally opposite experience here.  I've been using the same battery (that came with my XL) since I got it (October 1st, 2019) and I never shut the dot off.  I'm actually trying to see how long it lasts.  And this includes at least 30 minutes of dry fire a day (most often it's 45-60), and at least one live fire session per week, but mostly twice.  I've got over 16K on this optic and battery without issue.  It's frame mounted on an open gun shooting 170pf.  So it would seem that I'm destined for an in match failure...lol.  Now, if I could get the second one that I ordered in December, I'd be a happy camper.

56 minutes ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

FTP:

Sight Window: 26 x 21.5mm

Romeo 3XL:

Window Height: 1" / 24mm
Window Width: 1.3" / 32mm

I'm not sure which measurement is which for the FTP, but I would assume based on the pictures that it's 26mm tall x 21.5mm wide.

Edited by clw42