Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is the best red dot for an open gun?

GKARMS

47 minutes ago, duffdawg said:

i know this is gonna sound dumb and i know that it's not about looks, But imo C-mores look so much better and they work i shot one micro now that i think about it forgot what brand and the dot was so small i think it was 3 moa

I hate cmore. Maybe the slide rides are OK but those rts2s are pieces of garbage. They get washed out by the sun and flicker 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, mvmojo said:

I switched from a C-more with 12 moa dot to a Holosun 510c.  I love the huge window and the circle dot.  But, I didn't find the circle dot bright enough on the Holosun.  It probably is bright enough, it's just that I'm borderline needing cataract lens replacement and until that happens I need more brightness than "normal" non-cloudy eyes.  I'm back to the C-More and that big ol' dot is great!  I also have the Holosun 507 on a carry gun I do find the 32 moa circle/dot bright enough to be effective.  But the window is much smaller than either the 510c or the C-More slide-ride.

I also use the holosun 510c on my open gun. Huge tombstone window. Huge holo-ring. As soon as I switched I never had an issue picking up the dot again

1 hour ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

I hate cmore. Maybe the slide rides are OK but those rts2s are pieces of garbage. They get washed out by the sun and flicker 

i've used c-more slide rides all of my time in open so maybe thats one reason even tho it's only been a few years

Edited by duffdawg

1 hour ago, clw42 said:

Totally opposite experience here.  I've been using the same battery (that came with my XL) since I got it (October 1st, 2019) and I never shut the dot off.  I'm actually trying to see how long it lasts.  And this includes at least 30 minutes of dry fire a day (most often it's 45-60), and at least one live fire session per week, but mostly twice.  I've got over 16K on this optic and battery without issue.  It's frame mounted on an open gun shooting 170pf.  So it would seem that I'm destined for an in match failure...lol.  Now, if I could get the second one that I ordered in December, I'd be a happy camper.

FTP:

Sight Window: 26 x 21.5mm

Romeo 3XL:

Window Height: 1" / 24mm
Window Width: 1.3" / 32mm

I'm not sure which measurement is which for the FTP, but I would assume based on the pictures that it's 26mm tall x 21.5mm wide.

Good to know.  I hope I can figure out why my battery doesn’t last.  

You may not be due for a failure, the recoil failures I was talking about have all occurred with the base Romeo 3.  

I haven’t heard about recoil causing the XL to fail.  I know they changed some aspects of engineering in the evolution, hopefully they made it more robust.

Edited by Whoops!

2 hours ago, Whoops! said:

I haven’t heard about recoil causing the XL to fail.  I know they changed some aspects of engineering in the evolution, hopefully they made it more robust.

Supposedly that was the reason for the Romeo 3 Max, which is basically the same as the XL.  Fingers crossed it holds up.  At least Sig has a good warranty.

• 2 weeks later...

Another vote for C-More slide ride.   I have 5 of them, don't waste your money on the click.  When I shoot I finely adjust mine the same way I do the throttle on my BMW wide open.  Battery life not an issue on at Make Ready, off at Unload and Show Clear.   All but one are on 9 major guns, no ejection issues, get an AFTEC problem solved.

• 5 months later...

DPP has worked well for me on multiple open guns over the past two years. I sent one back after a piece came loose a year ago, but Leopoldo was great about it and shipped me a new one right away. Have owned three with no other issues.

• 3 weeks later...

I guess I'm old school, but my C-More slide rides have always been great.  I had one start to drift on me and I called C-More and they told me to send it to them.  Got it back in a couple of weeks working good as new.  Truth be told, it had no telling how many 1000's of rounds on it and had been dropped more than once (DOH!)

Costing the same as a Vortex Viper or Venom I tried both but went back to my C-More Railways.  I have one on three of my guns including this RFPO.  

The C-More offers dot sizes from 3 - 16 MOA.  I use a 12 MOA for Steel Challenge Matches and a 3 when I want to test for accuracy.  Modules are only $45.  The C-mores haven't drifted on me even when used with very hot 9 mm rounds.  

I had to send one back to C-More for repair, it was getting flame cut from my revolver because I left a screw out during installation.  The fixed it twice before we figured out the problem.  Great customer service.

Black Mamba Stoner Grips 11 2020.jpg

Edited by AzShooter
Picture

I might be old fashioned, but I still prefer C-Mores just for their ability to use 6+ MOA diodes. While I do like the 65 MOA circle in my Holosun for my 3-gun rifle, there are a lot of steels at my local clubs that are small enough that a 65 MOA circle is too big to use effectively, and the 1/2 MOA dots are too small to use quickly. It's definitely a personal preference thing though.

Just started using the Romeo3XL on my latest gun, and I'm already liking it a lot.  Recently I was on a range where the sun was right behind the berm during a morning shoot.  Everyone else was complaining about their dots washing out, but the XL was super bright even in direct glare.  It was pretty awesome!

8 hours ago, Dranoel said:

I don't bother with red dot sights. I just shine a laser in my eye for a few seconds and I get the same effect.🙄

Been having trouble adjusting for windage though.  🤔

Sounds something like what Mike Alessi’s bro Jeff did at motocross national some years back.  Crazy.. 😁

Sig Romeo 3 Max of XL are the way to go.  Great glass, crisp dot, does well in the sun, reliable, list goes on.  XL is wider and I'm used to wide dots, so it was an easy choice.  I like wide dots, can see a little bit more, but mostly personal preference.  

I just shot my first match with the Romeo3 Max 6moa and I agree the glass is clear, the dot is crisp plus sight window is considerably larger than my DPP. 
  I’ guess I’m luck my that I’ve been running the same DPP since late 2012 on 3 different open guns I’ve owned.  I moved to Open back in 2012 and my DPP does look like it’s been on my gun since then too. I did have ONE issue, the original battery failed in less that a month and If the Sig works and last like my DPP, I’ll be more

than stoked...

On 12/7/2020 at 12:24 PM, csailer said:

Sig Romeo 3 Max of XL are the way to go.  Great glass, crisp dot, does well in the sun, reliable, list goes on.  XL is wider and I'm used to wide dots, so it was an easy choice.  I like wide dots, can see a little bit more, but mostly personal preference.  

yup, this pretty much sums up, this RDS is in the $$$

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, TONY BARONE said:

What ever dot sight gives you the best accuracy and speed for me it's the slide ride .

This. I used the CMore slide ride on my first open gun and when I got my Chaos I put a RTS2 on it and had no issues at all. 

6 hours ago, Mikeski said:

This. I used the CMore slide ride on my first open gun and when I got my Chaos I put a RTS2 on it and had no issues at all. 

Not many issue with the new RTS2’s 

Edited by a matt

11 minutes ago, AngeloConde said:

Most i have seen people use and have personally used is the cmore slide ride and dpp. Altho I do use a hs510c on my g19 carry gun. That sight is no joke holds zero super crisp and the extra circle reticle deffinatly helps

Hmmm.   510c on a carry gun?  not a 507c??