Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 9mm magazines

SWprotected

I have a bunch of Tripp magazines and they feed well, but the do allow a round to slide forward and out when reloading with rounds left in the mag. I am considering buying Metalform mags but am curious if they can be seated with an DP ice magwell or do you have to add the extended basepads?

On 2/21/2020 at 1:55 PM, SWprotected said:

I am considering buying Metalform mags but am curious if they can be seated with an DP ice magwell or do you have to add the extended basepads?

Both Dawson and Brownell's mags are made by Metalform.  The only difference is the extended base pads.  Both are longer than an OEM Metalform mag.

• 2 weeks later...

You may have to try (borrow, maybe?) a few different makes to find one that will function with your gun. My STI Trojan would not feed reliably with any 10-round magazines (including Dawsons) regardless of which mag catch and recoil/mainspring combination I tried and this was even after STI had recut the feed ramp to aid in reliability. This same gun will run like a sewing machine with any 9-round mags I've ever tried.

What 1911 do you use ? I have used Dawson and had good luck besides a few cracked tubes where the base slides on. Dawson replaced them with no issues but said it must be because I seat them to hard . 

I have 9rd Metalforms and they work.  I have Wilson Combat 10's  and they are iffy at best.  I have tried Mec Gars and they didn't seat in my STI Ranger II, before I found out that Mec Gar states on their web site that they will not work in STI's.

On 3/5/2020 at 6:42 PM, Distant Thunder said:

My STI Trojan would not feed reliably with any 10-round magazines...This same gun will run like a sewing machine with any 9-round mags I've ever tried.

That's what I keep hearing.  I know there are exceptions, which I've read about here, but that 10th round seems to create a lot of issues.  9 round mags of almost any type are golden.

11 hours ago, bcp said:

That's what I keep hearing.  I know there are exceptions, which I've read about here, but that 10th round seems to create a lot of issues.  9 round mags of almost any type are golden.

It's frustrating at times, but I'll keep this gun as it is very accurate for the shooting sports (USPSA, IDPA, maybe even NRA Action Pistol) and is a pure joy to shoot ... just so long as the magazines are 9 rounders.

• 1 year later...

They're the same length as your Tripps when it comes to stock pads vs stock pads.

The extra length of the dawson basepad helps if you're running the ICE magwell.  Otherwise, the stock pad on ETMs, Tripps, and Metalforms is pretty well flush with the funnel, so you can't be sloppy.  With the IPSC funnel, you get more clearance.

The "top round push" issue is interesting to me in that some guns (my Trojan) don't have the problem.  Take the same ammo and the same mags to another gun, and you get the issue (my Valors), which makes you gradually switch to the metalforms (or ETMs, which also block top round creep.)  I say this to say, polishing the stripper rail might help.  The dynamics of the issue are interesting.  Some guns do, some guns don't.

Edited by johnmyster

My Springfield Armory 9mm will feed from any in spec magazine, 9 or 10 round. If it didn't I would fix it so it worked as it should.

Tripp 9mm mags let the top round slide forward and usually won't drop from the gun if there are any rounds left on the magazine. They feed fine, but since so much of Single Stack shooting is reloading, they're not usefull to me. This is a Tripp magazine issue, not my gun.

So I don't use Tripp mags in my 9mm 1911.

But Tripp mags work great in my .40 S&W 1911. Go figure.

I tried just about every 10rnd 9mm mag on the market last season in search of the best feeding, and easiest to lock in the gun with slide forward and 10 rounds in the mag. I found the BUL 10rnd mags were awesome but haven't ever found them for sale unless you buy a 1911. And the mec gar 10rnd mag with the plastic base pad was absolutely the best ones I found. 

I went through the gamut with my 9mm and the only ones that were 100% reliable and didn’t allow the top round in the mag to move forward and make the mag stick when trying to eject the mag were the Wilson combat ETM mags. Tried Tripp, metal form, mec-gar, Dawson and some kimber mags. And you can buy the comp ready package from Dawson and they work great with the ice magwell

I have had virtually every other problem with my 9mm single stack with regard to feeding, but it feeds perfectly from the 10 round Tripp mags.  I have talked to Virgil about what you describe, which he calls "mag squirt," but it happens pretty rarely for me so I stopped worrying about it.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the exact same issue with a SA RO and Trip mags.  They ran great, but the top round moved just far enough forward the mag wouldn't drop. Dawsons solved the problem.

BTW,  since I was mainly shooting SCSA with my single stacks, I didn't discover the issue until a practice session prepping for a classifier match. So its Trips for SCSA and Dawsons for USPSA.