Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single or double sided safety?...that is the question

vgdvc

Hello shooters. I'm having a new open 9mm major pistol built and just automatically assumed I would have a double sided safety as I do on my other 2011/1911 pistols. Then I started considering possibly just having a single sided safety. I am right handed  it believe the only time I used it was  when weak hand firing I would ride the safety. I have a Tanfoglio limited pistol in which I took the right side off as I was doing trigger work to it and decided to leave it off.Never seemed to miss it. I'm curious to hear opinions from experienced shooters what their preference is and why, thanks.

Hello shooters. I'm having a new open 9mm major pistol built and just automatically assumed I would have a double sided safety as I do on my other 2011/1911 pistols. Then I started considering possibly just having a single sided safety. I am right handed  it believe the only time I used it was  when weak hand firing I would ride the safety. I have a Tanfoglio limited pistol in which I took the right side off as I was doing trigger work to it and decided to leave it off.Never seemed to miss it. I'm curious to hear opinions from experienced shooters what their preference is and why, thanks.
Single sided. Ambi just gets in the way of my shooting hand constantly.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Rnlinebacker said:

Single sided. Ambi just gets in the way of my shooting hand constantly.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

This,,,  while it might be a tiny advantage week hand only the once in a blue moon you do it. wait till you strong hand only and hit it every shot.
Really zip of an advantage at best. I have zero use for them, zero patience for the PIA it is to strip gun, ZERO patience to deal with them when they break,, and they will sooner or later. And dont recall EVER missing it.

23 minutes ago, Silverscooby27 said:

It sucks when you inadvertently flip up your single sided safety by accident while shooting weak hand only.

I don't know if I've ever done that shooting a1911/2011 but then again since I ride the safety it could have happened and I never noticed it. If I do go with single-sided  I'll have to make sure it has a deep detent to take real effort for flipping on and off.

All good points gents....

I prefer ambi shielded on my open gun.  While I have only used the right side safety a few times, it was nice to have the times I did need it. I haven’t had a issue of inadvertently flipping the safety with the atlas high rides. 

I prefer single side safety - when gripping the gun up high, my strong hand knuckle always hits the ambi.  I ride the safety so it doesn't flip it but it's uncomfortable.  On my open gun I have an ambi but the right side is a very small high paddle - usable for weak hand shooting but doesn't hit my knuckle when gripping with my strong side hand.  If I ever sell the gun, I can always include/install the full size ambi.

As I can appreciate wanting the input from other shooters, none can tell you if your gonna like one or the other better or worse until you shoot them both. 

And by shoot them both I mean at least one solid practice day. Switching hands, drawing to weak hand, etc. 

That will tell you all you wanna know. Honestly if your curious have your builder set you up with both. You can go run the same drills back to back and swap them. Theres really not much to fitting them and coating can't be much more $. Yea your probably gonna be another 150$ or 200 into your build. But at least you will k ow and have the option. 

Certainly one will just sit in the parts case you take to you matches, but at least you'll have a fit spare just in case and know which you prefer. 

The simplicity of a single side is fantastic during maintenance, but shooting weak hand can be less forgiving. 

Good luck buddy

Let us know what you come up with.