Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm case with titegroup

TimHawkins

Hello,

Was wondering if you can double charge a 9mm case with titegroup and still seat a 124 grain bullet.

A shooter blew up a pistol and is thinking he doubled the charge of titegroup. I have never checked to see how much a 9mm case will hold and still let you seat the bullet.

Just curious.

Tim

I once double charged a .40 load with Titegroup on my old Lee 4 hole turret press. Needless to say my Glock didn’t handle that lol.

But yes, easy to do in a 9mm case. For my open loads I used 11.3 gr of AA7 for. 9 Major

Edited by Sfisch0311

I won’t store a case mouth up on my bench (I load on an auto-indexing progressive). Not saying it’s full proof but the results between picking up a charged case and putting it through the press versus having a small pile of powder on the bench is stark. Simple measure for sure but one I practice. 

On 1/26/2020 at 5:44 PM, TimHawkins said:

I talked to the guy about his gun today and he said it is a springfield xd. He has a gunsmith looking it over to see if it was a double charge or if it fired out of battery .

I don't know if he will be able to tell what happened.

Tim

I had an xdm fire out of battery. Jacked up the ejector and cracked the grip.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes sir. A double charge is a big possibility. I load 3.7gr, with 124gr bullet. and just looking in the case, more than enough room in there to easily double charge. I got confused once while loading a batch. Needless to say, I weighed every loaded round to confirm that all were good loads. 

Best to be on the safe side 

Yes, easily. That's why you look in the case, especially on a 550. Not on a Square Deal though, because the index pawl is already advanced before the powder drop contact. That's why I run BE-86 on the 550 and TG on the SD.

Edited by 9x45

12 hours ago, valerko said:

yup , you end up with compressed load. One bad think about TG , you don't need a lot of it and it doesn't take a lot of space 

It had nothing to do with load compression, compressed loads aren't dangerous.

Tite poop sure does a lot of damage with a double or triple charge. I don't use it for that reason. It doesn't fill up the case enough. I watch every loaded round and it's hard to see any powder in the case on my 650. I like a power that spills out on the shell plate with a double charge, not that I ever had one. I miss 7625. It was a very "forgiving" powder. You could double charge it, which completely fills up the case with some spillage, and just make major PF. Might jack up a Glock but not an STI!

As far as spherical powders go. AA No 2 is also insensitive to powder positioning. Doesn't burn quite as fast as TiteGroup, but its bulk density is .635 grams/cc or 635 grams/liter. It is quite lofty and gives good case-fill by chargeweight. Ramshot Competition is even loftier and lower in bulk density at .510 grams/cc. WST is also quite lofty, but Hodgdon recommends against using it for 9mm. For those that load it trouble free, you won't get any complaint from me.😉

Edited by K-Texas

9 hours ago, 4n2t0 said:

It had nothing to do with load compression, compressed loads aren't dangerous.

so double charge , compressed is not dangerous ?  Because that's what I'm talking about . You double charge 9mm , with 7-8 g of TG , then it's gonna be compressed load as well