Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Divison?

Stafford

So far, I’ve only shot Limited. Shot my first match with my Glock 22 in Major, and have since shot 5 matches in Limited Minor with either my Glock 17 or M&P 2.0 3.6”.

I’ve been leaning toward moving to Production. I like shooting the cheaper 9mm, and while I don’t think I’ll mind the stage planning and and reloads, I’m not crazy about it either. I guess the main issue is the capacity and not having many options for follow up shots. I’m not the most accurate, so I do fire off an extra round every so often if I’m not sure I got a decent hit.

I like shooting Limited as I have a 21 round Magpul map for my G17 that I usually start with. Once I drop the mag, I reload with a 17 rounder and have 18 available from then on so it works well for me. But, I’m shooting minor.

As far as shooting Limited Major, I have 15 round mags from my G22. I purchased a couple of ETS mags that hold 19 but they proved to not be reliable.

I have no interest in reloading ammunition and I don’t really want to deal with extended baseplates and tuning mags. So, that’s where I’m at and why shooting Limited Minor is the simplest, easiest, and cheapest division to deal with. It’s just not a good long term plan.

you can get some mag extensions for your g22 mags that will get them to 140mm.  i have some arredondo (+5 i think) that do that, sure others make them for glocks also.

and as noted above, you can mill out your g17's slide for a red dot optic, that (carry optics)  will also let you use 140mm mags (again, arredondo extensions or others).

the arredondo extensions have run perfectly with both 9 and 40 factory glock mags, no tuning or anything needed.

Edited by davsco

3 hours ago, Stafford said:

I like shooting the cheaper 9mm 

I like shooting Limited as I have a 21 round Magpul   But, I’m shooting minor.

Limited Major, I have 15 round mags from my G2 and ETS mags that hold 19 but they  not reliable.

I have no interest in reloading ammunition

shooting Limited Minor is the simplest, easiest, and cheapest division to deal with.

Yes.

I started using a BHP for exactly the reasons that you have noticed.

Nothing wrong with it - I enjoyed shooting Limited Minor.

You don't need a "long term solution" - just stick with Limited Minor until YOU decide

you'd like to do something else.     :)      You'll have a LOT of FUN, believe me.   I did.

3 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Yes.

I started using a BHP for exactly the reasons that you have noticed.

Nothing wrong with it - I enjoyed shooting Limited Minor.

You don't need a "long term solution" - just stick with Limited Minor until YOU decide

you'd like to do something else.     :)      You'll have a LOT of FUN, believe me.   I did.

What is a BHP?

Mag extensions with glocks do not mean you have to tune your mags. It's really a no brainer, and easily let's you add the capacity necessary to take your glock in .40 and be competitive. I have many of the Taren Tactical +5 extensions that run flawlessly in both 9 and 40. For 9, I can load 23. For 40, I can load 20 (but only reloadable at 19)

16 hours ago, Stafford said:

It’s just not a good long term plan.

Why not?  What is your long term plan for shooting?  Are you trying to win a National Championship, get sponsors, appear on the cover of Front Sight like Christian Sailer?  If your goal is to hit the range, have fun, improve your proficiency with firearms and be safe, it doesn't matter.   Shoot what you have, have fun, and quit worrying.

There was recently an enlightening article on FOMO's (Fear of Missing Out) sinister cousin, FOBO (Fear of a Better Option), otherwise known as "analysis paralysis".  That appears to be what might be at play here, and I'm sure has been experienced by many people on this forum (myself included); always chasing a new gun or gear in the hopes it will instantly improve performance.

Based on your many topics on the subject, shoot whatever you currently own (G22, G17, M&P) that you feel YOU perform best with for all of next season and stick with ONE division.  Analyze your results at the end of year, or post them on here for others to comment, and then take an objective and dispassionate view of where YOU feel like you can/want to improve.

Until then, just get out and shoot; all of the other stuff is not worth the mental drain.

1 hour ago, belus said:

There was some good advice relevant to your situation in this thread from August:

Yes, the OP was very involved in that thread.

It's been a few months and it seems like he's reflecting on his first few matches and trying to decide which direction to go.

Yep, had just started USPSA at that point. I’ve hesitated on getting a rig since I don’t know what I’m going to shoot or which division. I can shoot slow and fairly accurate, or speed up and it becomes fairly inaccurate.

Will shoot again at a local club match next week. 

For under $100 you can get basepads for your g22 mags that will hold 20 and run like a scalded ape (see: Dawson precision). I’m not sure what the cost difference is in 9mm or 40, but that would get you Major. 

If you don’t like shooting .40, shoot your 9, and work on things like movement, reloads, transitions—all the things we all need to work on—and I’ll guarantee your scores will go up. 

4 hours ago, Stafford said:

I shoot slow and accurate, or speed up and inaccurate.

I wouldn't worry about which gun to use until you can learn to pick up the pace 

without losing necessary accuracy.

And, as HCH said above, it's NOT only the shooting  -  it's all the other movements

that you probably need to speed up.

Learn how to shoot with what you want to shoot before you worry about getting

a "better" gun.    :) 

As a fellow newb to this - you’re way overthinking it (as you admitted in your earlier thread). Look, you don’t want to reload ammo, so sticking with 9mm is probably your best bet. You can go Production or Limited with zero additional investment, just depends on how you feel about reloads and stage planning. If you stay in Production, you don’t have to worry about the major/minor point disadvantage. You can focus on the fundamentals like moving fast with good accuracy. I considered shooting Limited just so I could load the mags up, but I have no interest in adding .40 to the stable and when I get better at this (or if, I suppose) I don’t want to be at a disadvantage by shooting minor. So I decided to stick with Production.

IMO, you need to just pick one and commit to it. There are enough folks shooting Production in my area that I have plenty of competition (and I’m slow as hell, so I have lots of room for improvement). You’ve been shooting Limited and seem to have reservations about continuing in it. Try Production, work on reloading on the move, and have fun with it. Have someone video you shooting a stage, it’s eye-opening (and in my case, a bit depressing). Get good at Production and if you feel later like you want another challenge, try Carry Optics. One of the great things to me about USPSA is that we have so many options with regard to divisions and equipment, but as noted it can lead to analysis paralysis. Stop trying to decide which division will be “easier” to do well in, or in which one you’ll have an edge. It’ll probably be a while before you’re really competitive in ANY division. Go out, commit to a division, run what you’ve got, and don’t worry about what anyone else is shooting or doing. 

Edited by Eric802

Shoot what you want. Lim minor in skilled hands manages to break in the top 5 and occasional wins at locals here.

The reloads in production are part of what makes it interesting. They are typically regarded as adding complexity dramatically out of proportion to reality.

The game is set up on max 8 round arrays, you pretty much always have 2-3 make ups on tap. If you regularly need more than that to have bigger concerns than division. There may be times shooting to 10/11 is advantageous or you wish you had more in the mag, everyone else in the division faces the same dilemma.

Glock mags with extensions don't really need tuning. I'd reach out to ETS, their CS is great, my 9mm mags are flawless.

I have been in this for a long time, not at a high level but enthusiastic.  I always say, "I shoot, one expensive hobby is enough."

I am now shooting Limited Minor because of arthritic changes, Major is unpleasant and will kick me into a flinch in pretty short order.

If you don't want to handload, you could buy .40 Major from a specialty shop like Atlanta Arms, but 9mm is certainly the Easy Button.

You can scab a lot of Stuff onto a Glock, trigger parts, sights, frame weight, sight block, mag well funnel, frame stippling, trigger guard divots, etc.

You will have to ask the Glockophiles if any of it really improves the shooting.

But the guy I shoot with these days is entirely happy with a G17 and an ETS magazine.  I think he is looking at fiber optic sights, though.  The which I would not be without.

If you have enough pouches and mags you can shoot Production with your Limited minor gun.  Try it an see how you like it. 9mm and 40sw remanufactured ammo is available at reasonable prices from a number of suppliers.  Buying reman 9mm doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me when you can buy quality factory 9mm for 16-17 cents each.  40sw is a different story.  If your eyes can still see front sights, choose either of the above.  If, like me, you cannot see front sights well, Carry Optics is the division for you.  It is scored like Production, but stage planned like Limited.

You have enough guns that you can try all three.  There is no rule that restricts you to a single Division.  I shoot with several people who regularly compete in 4 or 5 Divisions.

2 hours ago, rowdyb said:

The very first thing should be truly and honestly answering the question, "What do I want out of my participation in competitive shooting?" That makes all the follow on stuff much easier to decide.

This is a very solid point

3 hours ago, rowdyb said:

The very first thing should be truly and honestly answering the question, "What do I want out of my participation in competitive shooting?" That makes all the follow on stuff much easier to decide.

Easy enough. I am not looking to be a top level competitor or even tops at my local club match. Middle to above average at my local club match would be a solid goal. I’m a D class shooter in Limited shooting Minor, so the next step is to make it to C. However, I will probably try Production at the next classifier.

I would like (not need) a nice competition pistol just because. I’ve shot a couple of nice models and was more accurate than with my plastic defensive pistols. Competing gives me an excuse to buy a nicer pistol(s).

55 minutes ago, Stafford said:

Easy enough. I am not looking to be a top level competitor or even tops at my local club match. Middle to above average at my local club match would be a solid goal. I’m a D class shooter in Limited shooting Minor, so the next step is to make it to C. However, I will probably try Production at the next classifier.

I would like (not need) a nice competition pistol just because. I’ve shot a couple of nice models and was more accurate than with my plastic defensive pistols. Competing gives me an excuse to buy a nicer pistol(s).

you defined yourself nicely, but you didn't really state a goal.

• 2 weeks later...

If you don't want to mess with baseplates or reloading ammo, I think production would be good. Especially if you want to be competitive. 

The other divisions, if you want to be competitive, you've gotta invest a bit more into mag capacity changes and getting your ammo the way you want it. I've got a buddy who absolutely burns it down with his M&P so you're not crippling yourself too much by not having a shadow 2.