Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dedicated 22 cal AR15 for RFRO

I have two CMMG dedicated .22lr uppers, one a 16" and the other about 10"... the 16" is fitted with a Vortex SPARCii and is my practice rifle for PCC...

the short 10" upper has a Vortex Venom on a YHM riser and tops my registered SBR and I use it for Steel Challenge...the lower is pretty straight forward... RRA NM trigger, ambi safety, Hogue grip, pressure plug in the buffer... fore end is a short Palmetto State unit that I really like the feel of... a piece of 1/2 aluminum is attached as a hand stop... it tracks very quickly... I have the CMMG polymer charging handle to lessen problems of ejected brass being caught... I filled the 16's charging handle with epoxy to do the same thing

I originally used SW15-22 magazines and a Boonie Packer Reddi Mag adapter for use with the Smith magazines... with a lot of use the feed lips were grooved by the rim of the cartridge, which led to feeding problems... so am now using the Black Dog X form mags with stainless feed lips... the newer beam welded magazines seem to have a better investment casting to the lips...I use CCI Blazer... clean the chamber and run the gun wet... no major problems... even though it is a .22lr, pull the rifle into your shoulder

Edited by Les Snyder
I use the complete rifle from these guys but you can also build around your own parts with their barrel and bolt. 

https://www.2a-arms.com/category-s/197.htm

Have you had any feeding issues with there barrel and bolt? I’ve read that there setup is very picky on ammo. I want to build a upper with there stuff but wanted to hear more reviews before I pulled the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
12 hours ago, Screaminyz said:

Have you had any feeding issues with there barrel and bolt? I’ve read that there setup is very picky on ammo. I want to build a upper with there stuff but wanted to hear more reviews before I pulled the trigger.

I haven't had feeding issues with it, I shoot CCI Blazer and Standard Velocity out of it. Only issues I had were a few of the older bdm mags needed some of the casting marks knocked down with sand paper.  It will need cleaned more often than the 10/22 though so expect that but the bolt pops right out like all ar platform bolts which makes it a breeze.

There, their, they're. Three different meanings.

Lol yes I know it should have been “their stuff”. I usually reply with voice messaging so I don’t have to type so much but the iPhone doesn’t always spell the words correctly.

On 10/22/2019 at 5:21 PM, aandabooks said:

Buy the S&W M&P 15-22 for $350ish and cut out all of the magazine/feeding problems.  

This ^^^^  S&W M&P 15-22 with an ALG Defense ACT trigger with JP yellow competition springs, very reliable ignition and feeding with the OEM magazines. 

On 10/23/2019 at 9:21 AM, LuvDog said:

I have a dedicated 22 upper from Nordic Arms. It works great for the most part

i have terrible feed issues with black dog mags with the steel feed lips though.  The polymer ones work fine

I had similar problems with a Tactical Solutions upper and a JP. Black Dog customer service was awesome!  As wasTS. TS replace the barrel and bolt. Still had issues. 
Bit the bullet and went totally JP with polymer mags from BD. No problems now. 

• 2 weeks later...

I use a CMMG conversion kit for my .22 steel challenge AR and use 3 types of mags, all Black dog. Plastic, metal, and I'm guessing lead or pewter feed lips? I'm not sure, but they all run like a champ. I even got some Palmetto branded Black dog mags on the cheap and they're just as good.