Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extreme headstamped 9mm brass

NETim

As anyone who knows me will tell you, I have a hard time walking past brass, even 9mm, so I've got a wide array of mixed brass I've been loading.  I've noticed that almost invariably, Extreme brass will trigger the Dillon powder checker on the high side.   That brass gets deprimed and chucked into the junk brass box. 

Maybe I'm being overly cautious, but I'm not exactly hurting for 9mm brass right now due to my zeal for all that glittery range brass.

How does Extreme load for you?

That stepped sidewall and thicker base cause major issues at the swage station (sta 2) on my 1050. Not to mention I have found some Xtreme "brass' that gets collected by the magnet

All Xtreme gets thrown in the scrap bucket.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Scrap it, 9mm is borderline free. And if you get a brass broom to the range and walk the open pits  you can come up with it fast. Not worth even thinking about it if it causes any problems.

I don't inspect head stamps before loading. When the loaded rounds go into 100-round ammo boxes, I remove Xtreme, LAX, anything stepped, anything crimped, Aguila, and a couple others I'm probably forgetting, as well as marginally high primers, etc. This all goes into a special ammo can where I shoot at the indoor range and leave it where it falls. It's nice for those days you don't feel like picking up brass. 

• 2 weeks later...

I received a “free” 500 cases with an order from Extreme.   They loaded 115gr no problem but would not pass the check gage with the taller projectiles.   It’s funny its the 165’s I bought that yield the cases the will not work with them.    Just like @TrackCage I too just put brass like that into the dont bother picking up loads. 

@NETim1187 I am the same way with range brass.   I will check the popular pits for gold in the gravel, then play range chicken pecking at the ground.  Last year after a big cop training shoot mid week I hit the jackpot with over 15K of Speer Lawman brass.  I loaded my bags that afternoon until I could not crawl around anymore.  Then came back the next AM just to get more.  Insane amount of brass, just looked like a gold carpet. 

• 1 month later...

The extreme brass that is actually brass and not "FM" head stamped with the internal step is good. However, it is thick walled and will set off powder alarms. 

I had a whole batch of the stuff new and since it has reduced case volume I kept it together and loaded it with a slightly reduced charge. Works great but yes it is a little different. When a random one rolls by in my mixed brass I'll often notice it because the powder looks high. Worth a couple pf. 

12 minutes ago, theWacoKid said:

The extreme brass that is actually brass and not "FM" head stamped with the internal step is good. However, it is thick walled and will set off powder alarms. 

I had a whole batch of the stuff new and since it has reduced case volume I kept it together and loaded it with a slightly reduced charge. Works great but yes it is a little different. When a random one rolls by in my mixed brass I'll often notice it because the powder looks high. Worth a couple pf. 

I pretty much agree with this.   I just put it in my 9minor box rather than the 9major one. 

• 2 weeks later...

Stepped cases should be banned by SAAMI.  Why would you make a product that they KNOW somebody will reload only to have a possible catastrophic failor?  Makes no sense.  They have too know that people are bashing their product.