Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

170mm mags with 28 rounds

Aforum55

Just had some 170 STI gen 2 mags tuned and put grams springs and followers in. Loaded to 29 rounds, the first round nose dives and won't chamber. Run 28+1 and it's no problem. Springs are brand new so I loaded mags to sit for a day or two. 

How many rounds is everyone getting in a big stick? 

Fully reloadable 29 in my MBX mags.  I could barely squeeze 30 in, but it definitely would not be reloadable.

Leave your mags fully loaded for at least a week.  I generally do for two weeks.  After the springs take a set, you should have 29 with a little room to spare.

Even perfect feed lips will nose dive the first round if the spring is too strong. 

If your springs don't take enough set, you can go to a TTI +1 follower and spring  Add a gen2 3mm pad and you will easily get 29, possibly 30.

Edited by zzt

17 hours ago, Aforum55 said:

Just did that. All feed lips are now perfect. Have to run 28+1. Can't start with 29 to start

Fool around with different bullet shapes.  Something with more of a shoulder that contacts the feed ramp higher would be my guess.  Feed ramp adjustment or longer COL might help too.

Try to simulate the failure with dummy rounds and take a very very close look at what's going on at the bullet/feed ramp.  That should tell the story.

Sorry: only SV mags.  In general, reloadable 29-30.  Either a TT follower (and tuned by TT) or silver SV adds an extra round, 31 sometime reloadable but mostly non-reloadable.

Again. TT tuned my mags.

• 2 weeks later...

With STI gen 2 tubes, Grams guts and TTI 3mm base plates I get 29 reloadable in 2 of them and 29 but not reloadable in the other 2. But it took a little while before I could reload the 2, they were too tight at first. The other 2 are just too tight so I use them to start with and save the others if I plan on reloading to big stick.

Edited by NamesNotMike

Dang, I get 29 pretty easily in my STI with grams. I only get 28 in my SV's though. I have heard that removing some material in the bottom of the baseplate is helpful but I haven't had to do that in the STI.