Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you unload and show clear?

jbultman

On 6/29/2019 at 7:10 PM, Tanders said:

I practiced the flip and catch before I even shot my first match because I knew that no woman would ever have me if I ejected the chambered round onto the ground.  Since perfecting the "FlipN'Catch" (registered trademark), my bald spot has filled in, my sexual endurance is endless, I can parallel park on the first try everytime, and my accountant now asks me for advice on his taxes.  "FlipN'Catch"... Unload and show clear with CLASS.

LMAO!!!🤣

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/29/2019 at 7:14 PM, Tanders said:

Can't pull off a solid "FlipN'Catch" with a Glock, though.  The round just kind of dribbles out of the chamber.  That may have been 3% of the reason why I started shooting CZs.  Those bad boys lob ejected rounds into the lower stratosphere.

I want to know what the other 97% was about?  Does it have something to do with a CZ just feels like a real gun?!?

On 6/30/2019 at 10:57 PM, Tanders said:

Catching the ejected round definitely seems to be more of a USPSA thing.  I have never done a "FlipN'Catch" in an IDPA match without the SO losing his mind.  "Pump the brakes there, buckaroo!  I don't know how they unload and show clear where you come from, but 'round these parts decent folk EJECT THAT ROUND ONTO THE GROUND!!!"  Maybe IDPA SOs see the "FlipN'Catch" as a sign of loose living and moral degradation and they are trying to steer us all back onto the straight and narrow.

Careful, I was just chastised for making fun of IDPA and their geriatric way of shooting yesterday.  I thought the guy might be from the snowflake generation as sensitive as he was but I was wrong, he was just old and grumpy.

Personally I am quick about clearing the round but then I rack it 2-3 more times for my own peace of mind to make sure it is clear.  Then I hold the slide back so the RO can look at the chamber if he wishes until he tells me to holster.  Just a routine i have to make sure that picky RO's are satisfied.

• 2 weeks later...

I rack it hard and catch it in my mouth like a piece of popcorn. 
No risk of muzzling your hand that way and puzzles most RO’s I’ve come across. 

Just kidding, I have a Glock so it drizzles out like cold honey onto the ground. 
But I did just get a CZ so I might have to start practicing the popcorn method. 
😎

On 10/25/2019 at 10:23 AM, Trentmopar said:

Careful, I was just chastised for making fun of IDPA and their geriatric way of shooting yesterday.  I thought the guy might be from the snowflake generation as sensitive as he was but I was wrong, he was just old and grumpy.

IDPA does serve a purpose.  Anytime I'm depressed after getting spanked at a major USPSA match, I hit up my local IDPA club so that can I take out my rage on the vest-wearers.  I feel like a shooting god in no time.

On 10/25/2019 at 10:18 AM, Trentmopar said:

I want to know what the other 97% was about?  Does it have something to do with a CZ just feels like a real gun?!?

I think a larger part of it was "Stegger" making DA/SA look cool.  I definitely drank the Koolaid on that one.  Oddly enough, "Stegger" doesn't do the "Flip'N'Catch", though.

20 hours ago, Tanders said:

IDPA does serve a purpose.  Anytime I'm depressed after getting spanked at a major USPSA match, I hit up my local IDPA club so that can I take out my rage on the vest-wearers.  I feel like a shooting god in no time.

Want to make CERTAIN nobody thinks I am referencing myself or my personal shooting skills.

With that disclaimer out of the way, please let us know when you intend to shoot some IDPA matches in the Mesa/Phoenix, AZ area.  Looking forward to watching you revel in your "Shooting God-ness"

23 hours ago, 45 Raven said:

Want to make CERTAIN nobody thinks I am referencing myself or my personal shooting skills.

With that disclaimer out of the way, please let us know when you intend to shoot some IDPA matches in the Mesa/Phoenix, AZ area.  Looking forward to watching you revel in your "Shooting God-ness"

Ha!  You think I can be taken in so easily?  Your schemes are futile!  I know better than to ever mess with the Mesa/Phoenix shooting scene.  It is common knowledge that the entire greater Phoenix area has been endowed with unholy magic which enables even the "vested ones" to shoot with reasonable speed and accuracy.  No, thank you, good sir.  I do not hold with such devilry.  I will content myself with crushing the dreams of local yokels and leave the darkness of Mesa/Phoenix to those of stouter heart than myself.

I usually try to get the port away from the RO standing there, slowly rack the slide and let the round fall on the ground.  I fell very good about doing it this way after almost having the same thing happen to me.  

A loaded round got bound up and the primer was on the ejector and I saw it and almost freaked.

1 hour ago, Tanders said:

Ha!  You think I can be taken in so easily?  Your schemes are futile!  I know better than to ever mess with the Mesa/Phoenix shooting scene.  It is common knowledge that the entire greater Phoenix area has been endowed with unholy magic which enables even the "vested ones" to shoot with reasonable speed and accuracy.  No, thank you, good sir.  I do not hold with such devilry.  I will content myself with crushing the dreams of local yokels and leave the darkness of Mesa/Phoenix to those of stouter heart than myself.

😄✌️👍

Great reply!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Being a Lefty with large hands and shielded safeties.  To show clear I use the front cocking serrations but I come up from the bottom of the gun so that my hand doesn't cover the ejection port. 

I too have witnessed Forty Face, its some scary s#!t. 

I have always understood that dropping the slide on an empty chamber was bad for the sear (at least on a 1911), so it has seemed to me that most (if not all) instances of a flip and catch are, effectively, dropping the slide on an empty chamber.

14 minutes ago, Guy Neill said:

I have always understood that dropping the slide on an empty chamber was bad for the sear (at least on a 1911), so it has seemed to me that most (if not all) instances of a flip and catch are, effectively, dropping the slide on an empty chamber.

I have heard that as well. But I'm not sure if it is actually true or not.

It's really no worse than running a gun dry with a disabled slide lock. 

11 hours ago, robbiespratt said:

I drop mag and put mag in pouch, pull slide and lock it back. Round hits the ground and I usually leave it for the range vultures. Drop slide and hammer when instructed to do so.

perfect answer especially considering if you don't get "bonus cool unload points" to add to the match total then why bother.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2020 at 10:59 AM, CSEMARTIN said:

I wouldn't get in the habit of putting magazines in pouches if they aren't full.  I learned that mistake the hard way once.

I caught that too, I never put a used mag in my pouches