Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you unload and show clear?

jbultman

4 hours ago, Tanders said:

Catching the ejected round definitely seems to be more of a USPSA thing.  I have never done a "FlipN'Catch" in an IDPA match without the SO losing his mind.  "Pump the brakes there, buckaroo!  I don't know how they unload and show clear where you come from, but 'round these parts decent folk EJECT THAT ROUND ONTO THE GROUND!!!"  Maybe IDPA SOs see the "FlipN'Catch" as a sign of loose living and moral degradation and they are trying to steer us all back onto the straight and narrow.

All the more reason to flip it in IDPA

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, CSEMARTIN said:

I open my right hand to the side of the ejection port and use my left hand on the front cocking serrations to carefully pull the slide back.  The round gently drops right in my hand.

What's holding the pistol, then?  I can't picture this method.

The pistol is in my right hand.  I just extend my index and middle fingers outwards.  Ring finger, pinky finger and thumb are holding the gun.  This may not work for those with smaller hands.

As a lefty it's a bit easier to do the slow-eject and catch.  I was forced to switch to it long ago at the Ecuador World Shoot when the US ammo shipment never made it and 30 rounds of unload-and-show-clear ammo suddenly became much more important. 

1 hour ago, CSEMARTIN said:

The pistol is in my right hand.  I just extend my index and middle fingers outwards.  Ring finger, pinky finger and thumb are holding the gun.  This may not work for those with smaller hands.

OK I see it now.

3 hours ago, CSEMARTIN said:

I open my right hand to the side of the ejection port and use my left hand on the front cocking serrations to carefully pull the slide back.  The round gently drops right in my hand.

Yep that's my method as well.  Having seen a couple of ejector fire incidents up close as an RO and a shooter I prefer this approach.

11 hours ago, Tanders said:

Catching the ejected round definitely seems to be more of a USPSA thing.  I have never done a "FlipN'Catch" in an IDPA match without the SO losing his mind.  "Pump the brakes there, buckaroo!  I don't know how they unload and show clear where you come from, but 'round these parts decent folk EJECT THAT ROUND ONTO THE GROUND!!!"  Maybe IDPA SOs see the "FlipN'Catch" as a sign of loose living and moral degradation and they are trying to steer us all back onto the straight and narrow.

that makes sense, because the whole point of IDPA is the struggle against speed and proficiency, and more importantly, to do everything possible differently from USPSA.

12 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

that makes sense, because the whole point of IDPA is the struggle against speed and proficiency, and more importantly, to do everything possible differently from USPSA.

I can't disagree with this statement, but I personally prefer to eliminate speed at the unload and show clear command.  I see no reason to unload and holster a firearm quickly.  

1 minute ago, CSEMARTIN said:

I can't disagree with this statement, but I personally prefer to eliminate speed at the unload and show clear command.  I see no reason to unload and holster a firearm quickly.  

good point. the only part I do quickly is racking the slide, so as to avoid detonation on the ejector.

2 hours ago, CSEMARTIN said:

You bring up a good point. Having recently certified as an RO I have been reading the rules and thinking about past experiences. I have had one or two shooters who went through all two motions ("Unload and Show Clear") and then without further command from me, pulled the trigger and holstered before I could get to "If Clear, Hammer down and Holster". In my review of rule 8.3.6 it reads:

If You Are Finished, Unload and Show Clear” or “Unload and Show Clear” – If the competitor has finished shooting, he must lower his firearm and present it for inspection by the Range Officer with the muzzle pointed downrange, magazine removed, slide/bolt locked or held open, and chamber empty. Revolvers must be presented with the cylinder swung out and empty. If a competitor has been stopped by the Range Officer, they will be given“Unload and show clear” as the command."

Now I might, if I felt it was too fast, say something to the competitor, but since they clearly showed it was unloaded by pulling the trigger, what harm? I mean they would have it holstered before I even got to the second to final command. I could be a stickler and have them do it over, but wasn't sure if this is being proper or difficult out of spite. What say some of the other registered Range Officers out there?

Now this could be detrimental to the shooter because if I as an RO saw that there was still a magazine in the gun and ready to chamber a round, I would exclaim "Stop" and then start the "Unload and Show Clear" command again. But in their haste, they would "hammer down" and BOOM, their day is over. 

Thoughts?

19 hours ago, Nevadazielmeister said:

Thoughts?

Years ago I was at a local match hosted by a club run by guys I knew very well.  After the match was over, I was standing by the safe area when a competitor removed his gun from his holster.  He racked the slide and a round popped out.  If he had just finished a stage, he certainly would have had to unload and show clear.  So how could this have happened?  I don't know the answer to this question, but clearly something happened that should not have.

As the RO it is their responsibility to make sure the range is really clear before everyone heads downrange to paste targets and set steel.   If the RO isn't comfortable with what he/she just saw, stop the shooter and make them go through it again.

19 hours ago, Nevadazielmeister said:

You bring up a good point. Having recently certified as an RO I have been reading the rules and thinking about past experiences. I have had one or two shooters who went through all two motions ("Unload and Show Clear") and then without further command from me, pulled the trigger and holstered before I could get to "If Clear, Hammer down and Holster". In my review of rule 8.3.6 it reads:

If You Are Finished, Unload and Show Clear” or “Unload and Show Clear” – If the competitor has finished shooting, he must lower his firearm and present it for inspection by the Range Officer with the muzzle pointed downrange, magazine removed, slide/bolt locked or held open, and chamber empty. Revolvers must be presented with the cylinder swung out and empty. If a competitor has been stopped by the Range Officer, they will be given“Unload and show clear” as the command."

Now I might, if I felt it was too fast, say something to the competitor, but since they clearly showed it was unloaded by pulling the trigger, what harm? I mean they would have it holstered before I even got to the second to final command. I could be a stickler and have them do it over, but wasn't sure if this is being proper or difficult out of spite. What say some of the other registered Range Officers out there?

Now this could be detrimental to the shooter because if I as an RO saw that there was still a magazine in the gun and ready to chamber a round, I would exclaim "Stop" and then start the "Unload and Show Clear" command again. But in their haste, they would "hammer down" and BOOM, their day is over. 

Thoughts?

I don’t care how far they get, I tell them “show me clear” if they raced through the process. I have a few times had a shooter already holstered and said the same thing. I need to SEE a clear gun before range is clear.

Every time we have this dicussion the same two conclusions are reached.

1. Flip & catch is fine - but keep your weakhand away from the muzzle, and let the round go if you eject it oddly. Show an empty chamber to your RO after you retrieve the round.

2. Don’t cup the ejection port.

See you in a month, when it gets posted again. 👍😁

Edited by MemphisMechanic

1 minute ago, Dutchman195 said:

If the RO is all up in my business then I'll do the head nod motion thing for them to put their hand out to catch it. 

And I let them fall. I only focus on the gun and your hands until holstered.

Regarding Flip & Catch, I don't really mind it as an RO but I prefer people to just let the round fall.  I had an older guy almost DQ himself two weeks ago trying to catch the flying round by swinging the gun sideways towards me.

8 hours ago, CSEMARTIN said:

Years ago I was at a local match hosted by a club run by guys I knew very well.  After the match was over, I was standing by the safe area when a competitor removed his gun from his holster.  He racked the slide and a round popped out.  If he had just finished a stage, he certainly would have had to unload and show clear.  So how could this have happened?  I don't know the answer to this question, but clearly something happened that should not have.

As the RO it is their responsibility to make sure the range is really clear before everyone heads downrange to paste targets and set steel.   If the RO isn't comfortable with what he/she just saw, stop the shooter and make them go through it again.

7 hours ago, Sarge said:

I don’t care how far they get, I tell them “show me clear” if they raced through the process. I have a few times had a shooter already holstered and said the same thing. I need to SEE a clear gun before range is clear.

7 hours ago, elguapo said:

This.  Is not negotiable.

Thank you gentlemen. I did not want to assume there was a consensus and wanted to make sure. I feel this is the best way and will carry on. 

When I shot my first USPSA match I was given a helpful tip by a friendly RO and I have used it to this day. Most shooters do this without thinking but as I said, it was my first match. Final target was far to the left. After engaging I was about to ULSC. All it would have taken was a little point to the left when hitting mag release ( I'm right handed ) and I would have been off to the ice cream store whose name we do not say aloud. He advised me to after finishing first to if not already make sure I'm facing straight down range. I've since given this advice to newer participants and they were all appreciative. Common sense for guys on here, but it was my first match. 

So, last shot fired. I throw on the safety and make sure I'm pointed straight down range. I then look toward the RO and wait for the " if you are finished" command. After he gives the command, mag out and on belt. Safety off. Rotate a little so  ejection port is facing downward and rack slide. Round hits ground. Then I check for empty chamber then hold slide half to 2/3 back so RO can clearly see an empty chamber. I'll stay there until the RO gives the entire " if clear" command. Then point at berm, hammer down, holster and lock. 

It it may take me an extra 3-4 seconds but the RO doesn't tell me " wait, I didn't see the chamber empty ". I've also never had an RO tell me to pick up the pace during ULSC. No awards for speed here but a lot to lose. 

38 minutes ago, SV650Squid said:

I'm left handed, so round goes in dirt.  I'll pick it up if I saw where it went.

It shouldn't be anything fancy, and there's no "fastest ULSC" award, so take your time.

What’s wrong with a lefty flip and catch? Never been an issue with anything that I’ve shot in matches.