Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you unload and show clear?

jbultman

3 hours ago, IronArcher said:

I get it, but part of my routine after my run is to take out all magazines (even if I didn’t need to use them), and top them off.

different folks, I was usually RO'ing, so less reset time and didnt want to reuse mags that had been in dirt. Ranges I shot tended to be mud or soft loose clay and sand. For locals I just had enough loaded mags in my bag to shoot match without worrying about it. I was shooting limited though, so didnt need all that many,,, but if you are shooting 10 or 8 round game I can see how you would develop a different routine... That would be a buttload of mags.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/10/2020 at 12:23 PM, Guy Neill said:

I have always understood that dropping the slide on an empty chamber was bad for the sear (at least on a 1911), so it has seemed to me that most (if not all) instances of a flip and catch are, effectively, dropping the slide on an empty chamber.

depends on recoil spring, light spring no.  The worry is hammer / sear bounce will eventually wear one or both faces.  If I do a trigger job, I'll use a heavier spring and slam the slide 20 times looking for half cock or hammer follow.  Any trigger pull under 2lbs gets 40 or 50.  

if kneeling stand up gun pointing into rear berm
square shoulders to back berm.
eject mag in hand and put in front pocket
rack slide hard enough to clear - don't be cute
show clear to RO
wait on hammer down command - then with gun level and square into back berm let slide forward and pull trigger
holster
set lock
double check lock is set
pick up bullet if sure its mine

On 1/10/2020 at 2:23 PM, Guy Neill said:

I have always understood that dropping the slide on an empty chamber was bad for the sear (at least on a 1911), so it has seemed to me that most (if not all) instances of a flip and catch are, effectively, dropping the slide on an empty chamber.

It's not necessary to drop the slide when doing the flip and catch.  There's plenty of time to return it in a controlled manner and catch the ejected round.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't read all 5 pages but from what I did read.  Unload and show clear in a safe manner.  Practice this in dry fire and it becomes routine.  I practiced 3-4 different routines until I found one that made the most sense to me and was safe.  After you dry fire train this routine you don't even think about it anymore.  If you choose the flip and catch method this also ensures you train yourself to not sweep the hand trying catch that rare bullet that flies forward of the gun when it is ejected. 

On 6/29/2019 at 5:48 PM, jbultman said:

Preface: Limited 40s&w 2011

Recently at a local match after a completing stage, while unloading and showing clear a local shooter had an AD. The extractor slipped off rim of the round and hit the primer, BOOM. Luckly the guys hand was far enough away that he is able to continue shooting and didn’t loose his finger/fingers or hand.

It got me thinking I recently got into the habit of covering the ejection port and letting the round fall into my weak hand. If that should happen to me, bad news!!

How do you unload and show clear? Let the round drop on the ground? Catch it? Eject it into your strong hand? Something else?

Thanks

J

This is why, if I'm running the timer I tell  the shooters before they start the course of Fire, not to cover the ejection port with their weak hand at the end of the stage when they are unloading an showing clear.

• 2 years later...

Wow, Im really glad I read this thread. I had just started the week hand

over chamber method to catch bullet. I sure as heck won't be doing that

anymore. I have never had an RO or even another shooter mention this.

As far as Flip and catch method, well we will see.

My week hand thanks you all.

• 2 months later...

After finishing the stage. Take mag out of the gun and put it on my magnet on my belt. Support hand goes over the slide and racks it back while catching the bullet in my palm. WHile doing this i lock the slide to the rear so the RO and myself to see the empty chamber. Once given the next command I will slowly bring the slide forward with my thumb and index finger and then pull the trigger while pointing at the back berm.

37 minutes ago, Nobody909 said:Support hand goes over the slide and racks it back while catching the bullet in my palm. 

One of the worst habits in this game. NEVER cover the ejection port with hand

57 minutes ago, Sarge said:

One of the worst habits in this game. NEVER cover the ejection port with hand

This is very true and important information.  I’m one of those guys years ago who had a round detonate on the ejector and still have scars on my hand as a reminder.

Remove the magazine and stow it on my belt magnet. Tilt the gun 90 degrees to rack the round out and up, taking care not to break any restricted vertical muzzle angle. Attempt to catch the round. Pull the slide back again, check that the chamber is empty, and present it to the RO while holding the slide back. Then release slide, hammer down and holster. That's how I do it.

Glad I saw this thread. I'm just getting started in IPSC and was thinking of placing my weak hand (left hand) over the ejection port to prevent the bullet from falling to the ground. Wont be doing that anymore. Cant do a flip and catch yet though I have tried.

I think what I will do is turn the gun upside down (while maintaining muzzle in a safe direction), rack the slide briskly, hold it back and let the round fall to the ground. Once the round is out rotate the gun sidewards then ease the slide forward while engaging the slide stop so the gun would remain in slide lock. After inspecting myself my gun is clear then show the open chamber to the RO.

Would this be a good method? I'm using a Tanfoglio Stock 1 small frame 9mm if it matters.

And for those pick up their ammo from the ground after unloading, and lets say the range floor is earth, sand or gravel, I assume you are going to use the round you picked up again as long as it is not visibly damaged?

I was thinking of wiping off the round with a rag just to make sure I don't get the gun/chamber dirtier than is necessary since I would like to use the same round, if possible, in the next stage. As for getting my ammo mixed up with others, someone told me to mark the rear of my rounds with a water-based permanent marker so I can easily identify my ammo if I had to pick them up. I just noticed though that I get marker ink all over the breechface after doing this. I hope this does not mess up my firing pin or the firing pin channel.

I watched a match here and saw some guys wipe down their mags with a  rag after it gets dropped on the ground. I assume they use those same mags on the next stages. Was thinking of doing the same for rounds that fall after clearing the gun.

Edited by DenC

Just now, DenC said:

Read somewhere that having the gun sideways (ejector below the round) is not ideal when unlaoding?  Not sure though.

I'm not suggesting sideways either.  

On 5/1/2023 at 8:17 AM, DenC said:

And for those pick up their ammo from the ground after unloading, and lets say the range floor is earth, sand or gravel, I assume you are going to use the round you picked up again as long as it is not visibly damaged?

I was thinking of wiping off the round with a rag just to make sure I don't get the gun/chamber dirtier than is necessary since I would like to use the same round, if possible, in the next stage. As for getting my ammo mixed up with others, someone told me to mark the rear of my rounds with a water-based permanent marker so I can easily identify my ammo if I had to pick them up. I just noticed though that I get marker ink all over the breechface after doing this. I hope this does not mess up my firing pin or the firing pin channel.

I watched a match here and saw some guys wipe down their mags with a  rag after it gets dropped on the ground. I assume they use those same mags on the next stages. Was thinking of doing the same for rounds that fall after clearing the gun.

I let my ejected round fall to the ground.  If I can spot it quickly I will pick it up.  If not I just ignore it and move on to the scoring.  Since I'm currently using remanufactured ammunition with mixed brass, I put a black dot on each primer to let me know the ammunition I picked up was mine.  The last thing I want to do is accidently pick up a 9mm major round and try to shoot it through my gun.

6 hours ago, PA_USPSA said:

I let my ejected round fall to the ground.  If I can spot it quickly I will pick it up.  If not I just ignore it and move on to the scoring.  Since I'm currently using remanufactured ammunition with mixed brass, I put a black dot on each primer to let me know the ammunition I picked up was mine.  The last thing I want to do is accidently pick up a 9mm major round and try to shoot it through my gun.

Thanks for this PA_USPSA. Never considered the possibility of picking up 9mm Major. Will do as you do.  

• 2 weeks later...

Me personally when i started the ro would tell me its not a race to unload and show clear. So i wait a second grab my mag get the bullet out of the chamber visually check myself then open the slide and show the ro but up high

if you have ever seen max michel on hot shots i stole his unload and show clear pretty much

• 1 month later...
On 5/16/2023 at 12:31 PM, Npoulson said:

Me personally when i started the ro would tell me its not a race to unload and show clear. So i wait a second grab my mag get the bullet out of the chamber visually check myself then open the slide and show the ro but up high

if you have ever seen max michel on hot shots i stole his unload and show clear pretty much

3 hours ago, Dfehr401 said:

Anyone ever have an ro get pizzed from a flip and catch?  I have it was so weird.  Dude was on a major power trip or he just didnt like me 💁‍♂️

Sent a couple pretty high ranked shooters home early from majors for acting like ULSC was a timed event.. One for 180,, was a little too quick turning up range doing his cool dude flip and catch and holster,, tried to blow a gasket that he can sweep his legs while holstering,, yep that is true but you cant sweep mine,, while I am up range of you.
The other guy caught top of holster with the barrel and gun rotated forward and pointed barrel directly at my score keeper.... Same thing,, acted like a spoiled brat...
At one time one of the bigger clubs called flip and catch a DQ under 10-5 unsafe gun handling,,, that was back before that rule was completely ignored.

11 hours ago, Joe4d said:

Sent a couple pretty high ranked shooters home early from majors for acting like ULSC was a timed event.. One for 180,, was a little too quick turning up range doing his cool dude flip and catch and holster,, tried to blow a gasket that he can sweep his legs while holstering,, yep that is true but you cant sweep mine,, while I am up range of you.
The other guy caught top of holster with the barrel and gun rotated forward and pointed barrel directly at my score keeper.... Same thing,, acted like a spoiled brat...
At one time one of the bigger clubs called flip and catch a DQ under 10-5 unsafe gun handling,,, that was back before that rule was completely ignored.

I see a lot of guys do flip and catch i just dump mine on the ground

13 hours ago, Joe4d said:

while I am up range of you.

If you are up range, behind the shooter and to the gun side, how can they sweep you? 

13 hours ago, Joe4d said:

that was back before that rule was completely ignored.

What rule(s) about "flip and catch" in USPSA?

This is all I could find:

Allowing the muzzle of a firearm to point at any part of any person’s body during a course of fire (i.e. sweeping). If the RO is swept, the Range Master must be called to determine if it was RO interference or a DQ.

Exception – A match disqualification is not applicable for sweeping

of the lower extremities (below the belt) while drawing or re-holstering a handgun

, provided that the competitor’s fingers are clearly outside of the trigger guard.

This exception is only for holstered handguns.

Sweeping does not apply to a handgun holstered in compliance with Rules 5.2.1 and 5.2.7

RO's don't like the flip and catch for various reasons-- hard to see the chamber, shooter trying to chase the round, might get blasted by an ejector-fire, unnecessary showboating, etc.   Some get vocal about it, some call it USGH because they "know it when they see it".  There's not much upside except for the cool factor.

2 hours ago, HesedTech said:

If you are up range, behind the shooter and to the gun side, how can they sweep you? 

What rule(s) about "flip and catch" in USPSA?

This is all I could find:

Allowing the muzzle of a firearm to point at any part of any person’s body during a course of fire (i.e. sweeping). If the RO is swept, the Range Master must be called to determine if it was RO interference or a DQ.

Exception – A match disqualification is not applicable for sweeping

of the lower extremities (below the belt) while drawing or re-holstering a handgun

, provided that the competitor’s fingers are clearly outside of the trigger guard.

This exception is only for holstered handguns.

Sweeping does not apply to a handgun holstered in compliance with Rules 5.2.1 and 5.2.7

10.5  says, parapharased... or at least it used to say.. DQ for unsafe gun handling...  Examples of unsafe gun handling include but not limited to,,,, then lists examples..
NROI basically went full stupid and ignores the not limited to part of the rule, to the point where if a specific example isnt listed it isnt unsafe.
Joe cool dude, was trying to holster and head up range before I could get ULSC out of my mouth. and was turned up range before muzzle was down.