Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI or Atlas

Mban2

I have a friend with two guns for sale:

an atlas titan and a beautiful SVI.

The SVI is about 1000 more dollars than the Atlas.  They are both beautiful guns and even though a bone stock Edge would work perfectly fine for me, I am strangely drawn to the all metal frames of these guns. This will be my first venture into 2011s and Limited.   I feel like the SVI is an amazing deal, but I don’t have many local people to ask.  What do you guys think?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

40 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

What's the parts list for the Titan (frame, slide, barrel, etc.)? 

It has an ICE magwell, but other than that, it is the baseline titan.   Nothing fancy. 

1 hour ago, Mban2 said:

I have a friend with two guns for sale:

an atlas titan and a beautiful SVI.

The SVI is about 1000 more dollars than the Atlas.  They are both beautiful guns and even though a bone stock Edge would work perfectly fine for me, I am strangely drawn to the all metal frames of these guns. This will be my first venture into 2011s and Limited.   I feel like the SVI is an amazing deal, but I don’t have many local people to ask.  What do you guys think?

Both are fine guns. You will never be able to tell the difference from a scoring perspective I'm betting. 

25 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Both are fine guns. You will never be able to tell the difference from a scoring perspective I'm betting. 

True, but one may handle better, feel better, be more reliable, last longer and have higher resale value than the other.  I know Atlas does good work, but I'd be very interested in knowing what parts they used before spending that kind of money.  For example, if it's on an STI frame, I wouldn't even consider it.  Also, just because the other is an SV doesn't mean it's perfect, or it hasn't been messed with.  Lots to consider and pretty much impossible to make an informed judgement based on the limited information provided.

4 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

True, but one may handle better, feel better, be more reliable, last longer and have higher resale value than the other.  I know Atlas does good work, but I'd be very interested in knowing what parts they used before spending that kind of money.  For example, if it's on an STI frame, I wouldn't even consider it.  Also, just because the other is an SV doesn't mean it's perfect, or it hasn't been messed with.  Lots to consider and pretty much impossible to make an informed judgement based on the limited information provided.

Give Adam a call and he will answer all your questions. Don’t quote me but I think my Chaos is a PT frame ( that’s what they sell on their website). They use KKM barrels. I personally am a big fan of Atlas and am very happy with my Chaos. I haven’t had any reliability issues at all with it.  You won’t be disappointed with an of the higher end gun manufacturers. If you want more of a custom gun with really fancy cuts and what not, you might want to lean more to SV. Atlas does do custom guns but I can’t speak to how custom they with make them. When I was shopping I was looking for a gun that just flat out runs and has great customer  backing it.  Wait time also played a role in my decision making. 

I can only speak to the SV. 

I brought one used Open SV. SV treated me like I ordered it from them. Excellent customer service.  I sold it to a guy in FL where some GM bad mouthed it. Again SV treated him like he ordered from them. Alleviated all concerns. 

SV does right by the owners of their guns. 

Their rep for quality is legendary. 

I own several. I am not a sponsored shooter for them. 

I cant speak for Atlas. Their guns look great. I do own an Akai and an SV. A good analogy would be comparing one of the highly modified sports cars such as the COPO Camaro or the Shelby Mustang to a Ferrari. All of them are nice and go fast but the SV is more refined with all inhouse parts. You can see the quality when you disassemble one. There's a reason why 20 year old infinity guns are still running strong.

My honest opinion? 

Get what you want! Get which ever you like more and don't concern yourself with others opinions.  In the end they're going to be pretty much the same gun, they're all going to need a little fine tuning for your preferences and liking.  And if you think that one is drastically different for reason a, b, and c,  and you want it to shoot perfect out of box they you're probably not good enough for it to really matter, or your so good that you know it really doesn't matter.    If you are into the name or the hype of a gun them get that one. I personally find that 90% of what you hear from forums will be a cult followers spoutting the same circle jerking opinions.  You go to another forum page you'll hear the exact same comments for the other gun! You go to sig forums and they'll tell you sig is the best and czs are trash..   i bet you can guess what cz owners will say about sigs.   That's because everyone is only trying to justify their own purchases..  if anyone tries to tell them otherwise they get butt hurt about it.  Notice the most neutral opinions here are from those who own both Atlas and STI?

For example, here more people prefer Atlas,  the community favors Atlas, you go to the sti forums, guess what they like?  Now Look at the uspsa national equipment survey.  The strong majority of competitors are running STI.  Now this could be that STI is willing to throw more money at competitors to use their pistols but if their guns are 1/10th the gun of (insert 2011 manufacturer) then wouldn't you think the competitors would turn down STI to use the pistol that gives them the better advantage? 

Why don't they all run Atlas, SVI, Akai, Limcat (won Nationals 2018) why do over half run STI?  Probably because when they're at that level, they realize that it doesn't matter what gun they use, but who throws the most money at them..

My point is both pistols will be awesome and I'm sure you'll like both, so pick the one that speaks to you most because i can guarantee you, that neither will give you a real competitive advantage over the other. And if people want to argue it will, them I'm sure you wouldn't have needed our opinions in the first place!

The only real argument that can be made here is that combat Master is only available in 9mm which actually puts you at a disadvantage in limited.. but that's due to old outdated rules imo..  If you're shooting 3-gun, or just wanting to have fun then again then it's doesn't matter! 

Edited by CrossOut

6 hours ago, CrossOut said:

My honest opinion? 

Get what you want! Get which ever you like more and don't concern yourself with others opinions.  In the end they're going to be pretty much the same gun, they're all going to need a little fine tuning for your preferences and liking.  And if you think that one is drastically different for reason a, b, and c,  and you want it to shoot perfect out of box they you're probably not good enough for it to really matter, or your so good that you know it really doesn't matter.    If you are into the name or the hype of a gun them get that one. I personally find that 90% of what you hear from forums will be a cult followers spoutting the same circle jerking opinions.  You go to another forum page you'll hear the exact same comments for the other gun! You go to sig forums and they'll tell you sig is the best and czs are trash..   i bet you can guess what cz owners will say about sigs.   That's because everyone is only trying to justify their own purchases..  if anyone tries to tell them otherwise they get butt hurt about it.  Notice the most neutral opinions here are from those who own both Atlas and STI?

For example, here more people prefer Atlas,  the community favors Atlas, you go to the sti forums, guess what they like?  Now Look at the uspsa national equipment survey.  The strong majority of competitors are running STI.  Now this could be that STI is willing to throw more money at competitors to use their pistols but if their guns are 1/10th the gun of (insert 2011 manufacturer) then wouldn't you think the competitors would turn down STI to use the pistol that gives them the better advantage? 

Why don't they all run Atlas, SVI, Akai, Limcat (won Nationals 2018) why do over half run STI?  Probably because when they're at that level, they realize that it doesn't matter what gun they use, but who throws the most money at them..

My point is both pistols will be awesome and I'm sure you'll like both, so pick the one that speaks to you most because i can guarantee you, that neither will give you a real competitive advantage over the other. And if people want to argue it will, them I'm sure you wouldn't have needed our opinions in the first place!

The only real argument that can be made here is that combat Master is only available in 9mm which actually puts you at a disadvantage in limited.. but that's due to old outdated rules imo..  If you're shooting 3-gun, or just wanting to have fun then again then it's doesn't matter! 

Very good take here. When I see people here say "I wouldn't use anything with an STI frame even if they paid me" I shake my head - it's just a block of metal! 

Crossout, very refreshing thoughts.

Nice to open up the windows and get some fresh air and thoughts in here -

keep it up.     :cheers:

But, an awful lot of Very Experienced shooters here, who have tried many

things and have learned a thing or two in the process.   I always find it

in my best interest, as a competitor, to listen to their experiences, and

learn from them, the Easy Way.     :) 

That way, I don't have to repeat their trial and error process.

You know.. i meet to post that in another topic.. but it's still relevant here.  Lol

If you want something super custom, get it, but get it for yourself. Don't get it thinking "this pistol is going to make me Grand Master"  because it isn't.  You'll pick up sponsores well before you make gm and you'll be forced to use their pistol if you want the money!.

Edited by CrossOut

I have a SVI 9/40 sight tracker, I love the pistol, it’s sexy and accurate, dam thing was so tight when new I had to clean it every 100 rounds for the first 500 I put thru it, now after 10k of 9 and 5k of 40 it’s still tight but will run no problem, I don’t recall the recoil spring weights but IMHO 9 is over sprung and 40 is under sprung, when I go thru the spares I have I’m going to experiment with recoil spring weights, I know lube is a highly debatable subject, I use what SVI recommends which is Lucas Red n Tacky on everything but the FCG, with 6 drops of Blue oil on top of the grease on the rails, and a drop on the FCG, my pistol shows no wear on reciprocating parts so I will keep doing as SVI recommends.  Now the downsides, wait is first on the list, mine took 18 months to get, 2nd is my 9mm mags sucked, the fix was Taran springs and followers, the 40 mags have been flawless, that’s it.   As for Atlas, they are great shooters, not a full on custom made to order like SVI, price is less, but really in this price range it doesn’t matter, if can afford one you can afford the other. Good luck with your decision, SVI or Atlas will serve you well.  

4 hours ago, Wrecks said:

Very good take here. When I see people here say "I wouldn't use anything with an STI frame even if they paid me" I shake my head - it's just a block of metal! 

No it isn't.  And if you built guns you would know the difference.  In the past I have said I would never, ever use another STI frame or slide, or anything for that matter except the Gen 2 9mm mags.  I've been told the new management is cleaning up their act and thing are becoming more consistent.  I hope so.

That being said, why on earth would you buy STI when you have JEM Guns, PT and Cheely out there.

2 minutes ago, zzt said:

No it isn't.  And if you built guns you would know the difference.  In the past I have said I would never, ever use another STI frame or slide, or anything for that matter except the Gen 2 9mm mags.  I've been told the new management is cleaning up their act and thing are becoming more consistent.  I hope so.

That being said, why on earth would you buy STI when you have JEM Guns, PT and Cheely out there.

+1 ZZT said it before I could. Un-parallel frame holes are not fun. Why do you think so many smaller shops are starting to make their own in house frames???

Especially with the cost of STI's now. STI no longer is primarily aiming their market toward the competition shooters. They are selling more guns to people who prefer to take pictures of their guns instead of shoot them and selling to tactical timmys. 

I've built guns before,  STI is by no means the gold standard in fully custom quality, but their mfct has greatly improved and they are now making their own frames. The main difference now are fully custom built vs semi mass produced. They still hand fit every gun and some of their higher end offerings are nicely blended, and smithed.. Are they a fully custom svi or atlas? No but i do think they are worth the price you can get them at.  You're honestly comparing a $2.5-3k gun vs a $4-5k gun..   but like i said get what appeals to you. 

Edited by CrossOut

zzt and ezra are both correct.  They're not all the same.  Not even close.  Try building a gun on an STI frame that has holes in the wrong location, or on an angle, and see how it goes.  I've also sent stuff like that back and had them tell me there's nothing wrong with it.  After a couple of go-rounds, people learn to stay away.  If you spend any time on the forum here, you'll find an endless number of threads detailing poor quality and workmanship.  They are popular because of the price point.  But you can build a better gun with better parts for the same price, so why do it?  Same thing goes for gunsmiths.  I've seen a lot of crap work from big name shops.  So just the fact that it's from company X isn't a guarantee all is well.  Best advice is to inspect both closely, shoot both, and pick the one you want.  It really doesn't matter what other people think, expect for maybe resale value if that's an important to you.   

Quick search through though forum reveals very few major issues with STI.. and of those, most of which happened a while ago. I do seem to hear the same story from everyone, which also seems to have been a isolated incident. Again from a while ago..

STI manufacturing has significantly Improved. They're no svi custom shop but i wouldn't hesitate in buying another given a good price point.   I said it before, I'll say it again,  if STI really had all the issues the "haters" keep touting about, a lot less than 50% of uspsa national competitors would be running them..

Edited by CrossOut

I have two Brazos STI's (CM serial numbers) that I shoot regularly and both have functioned flawlessly.  I realize this is an N of 2 from a very large population, however I wouldn't 'write off' STI completely.

If you guys like STI and are happy with their products, that's great.  The point of some of the comments above isn't to bash STI, but to point out their history of poor quality and service so that the OP and others can be on guard and be sure to check things over thoroughly before they decide to buy.  A lot of folks on here have been in the game for a very long time and know what's going on from first hand experience.  So to come in with a couple of posts and try to sell the story that STI is turned around etc., is going to be a tough sell.  Maybe they did.  But they've been through enough ownership and management changes with the same song and dance routine that basically, I'm not gonna believe it until either I see for myself or have enough input from trusted sources with first-hand experience.

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 8:53 PM, ltdmstr said:

What's the parts list for the Titan (frame, slide, barrel, etc.)? 

If it is the same as it was when I bought one from Atlas, the grip and frame are PT. EGW ignition parts, KKM barrel, and either an SV or Xline trigger, I do not know about the slides, but they looked like a PT slide I have on another gun. Atlas guns are nice I had no complaints with mine.

Edited by SWprotected