Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI or Atlas

Mban2

16 hours ago, CrossOut said:

I said it before, I'll say it again,  if STI really had all the issues the "haters" keep touting about, a lot less than 50% of uspsa national competitors would be running them..

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about.  National shooters get their guns worked over.  You cannot go into a store and buy a DVC and expect it to run 100%.  I shoot with six guys who bought them and they all had issues.  The longest took 6 months to iron everything out.  I know several people on the Rudy Project shooting Team.  Some use DVCs with 8 lb. variable recoil springs.  They get them directly from STI and they run 100% right from the start.  It works just like blueprinting an engine.  They are tuned at the factory.

Brazos used to use STI frames and slides in his custom builds.  It they were out of spec he sent them back.  He now makes his own slides and frames.  That should tell you something.

Now lets talk about actually building a gun yourself.  The amount of time you spend correcting STIs woes is exorbitant.  The machining is terrible.  I used to be a Tool & Die maker and I would be ashamed to put out something like that.  Sometimes, as in the last STI 1911 receiver I used, you cannot fully correct a problem.  Contrast that with the last JEM Guns receiver I used.  Everything was perfect, including the machining.  I deburred and assembled.  That's how it is supposed to work.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, zzt said:

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about.  National shooters get their guns worked over.  You cannot go into a store and buy a DVC and expect it to run 100%.  I shoot with six guys who bought them and they all had issues.  The longest took 6 months to iron everything out.  I know several people on the Rudy Project shooting Team.  Some use DVCs with 8 lb. variable recoil springs.  They get them directly from STI and they run 100% right from the start.  It works just like blueprinting an engine.  They are tuned at the factory.

Brazos used to use STI frames and slides in his custom builds.  It they were out of spec he sent them back.  He now makes his own slides and frames.  That should tell you something.

Now lets talk about actually building a gun yourself.  The amount of time you spend correcting STIs woes is exorbitant.  The machining is terrible.  I used to be a Tool & Die maker and I would be ashamed to put out something like that.  Sometimes, as in the last STI 1911 receiver I used, you cannot fully correct a problem.  Contrast that with the last JEM Guns receiver I used.  Everything was perfect, including the machining.  I deburred and assembled.  That's how it is supposed to work.

Obviously you didn't read all of what i wrote as i literally mentioned or addressed all of those points...

Edited by CrossOut

4 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

If you guys like STI and are happy with their products, that's great.  The point of some of the comments above isn't to bash STI, but to point out their history of poor quality and service so that the OP and others can be on guard and be sure to check things over thoroughly before they decide to buy.  A lot of folks on here have been in the game for a very long time and know what's going on from first hand experience.  So to come in with a couple of posts and try to sell the story that STI is turned around etc., is going to be a tough sell.  Maybe they did.  But they've been through enough ownership and management changes with the same song and dance routine that basically, I'm not gonna believe it until either I see for myself or have enough input from trusted sources with first-hand experience.

That's fair,   i may be new here for posting but I've also got plenty of experience both at machining and smithing..   having a tainted record is definitely hard to come back from, but based on what I've seen so far, they might be able to change a few stubborn opinions.

15 hours ago, SWprotected said:

If it is the same as it was when I bought one from Atlas, the grip and frame are PT. EGW ignition parts, KKM barrel, and either an SV or Xline trigger, I do not know about the slides, but they looked like a PT slide I have on another gun. Atlas guns are nice I had no complaints with mine.

Agree with this. I have two Atlas guns and couldn't be happier. I just hope as they transition to stock models for Titan, Nemesis, and I think others that the quality remains. We'll see.

On 6/27/2019 at 5:14 AM, Furrly said:

Crossout- I understand, your just trying to justify the 12k you dropped on 3 JW combat masters.😢😢 

Really?

I'm a collector and trader,  i have both Atlas, SVI, and other small time custom shop guns that never see the light of day since they don't advertise..  i know quality craftsmanship when i see it,  people want to ask what it the better pistol for them i give them my honest opinion.. if they want to know what is the better pistol over I'll tell them my opinion.. this had nothing to do with what i choose to spend for any gun. And i don't need flaunt it in front of others.  I'm helping them get the most unbiased answer.  Now whenever your ready to take off your troll helmet and dust off your brain I'm happy to have a discussion with you about went my opinions are the way they are.

Edited by CrossOut

• 2 months later...
On 6/23/2019 at 11:57 PM, CrossOut said:

My honest opinion? 

Get what you want! Get which ever you like more and don't concern yourself with others opinions.  In the end they're going to be pretty much the same gun, they're all going to need a little fine tuning for your preferences and liking.  And if you think that one is drastically different for reason a, b, and c,  and you want it to shoot perfect out of box they you're probably not good enough for it to really matter, or your so good that you know it really doesn't matter.    If you are into the name or the hype of a gun them get that one. I personally find that 90% of what you hear from forums will be a cult followers spoutting the same circle jerking opinions.  You go to another forum page you'll hear the exact same comments for the other gun! You go to sig forums and they'll tell you sig is the best and czs are trash..   i bet you can guess what cz owners will say about sigs.   That's because everyone is only trying to justify their own purchases..  if anyone tries to tell them otherwise they get butt hurt about it.  Notice the most neutral opinions here are from those who own both Atlas and STI?

For example, here more people prefer Atlas,  the community favors Atlas, you go to the sti forums, guess what they like?  Now Look at the uspsa national equipment survey.  The strong majority of competitors are running STI.  Now this could be that STI is willing to throw more money at competitors to use their pistols but if their guns are 1/10th the gun of (insert 2011 manufacturer) then wouldn't you think the competitors would turn down STI to use the pistol that gives them the better advantage? 

Why don't they all run Atlas, SVI, Akai, Limcat (won Nationals 2018) why do over half run STI?  Probably because when they're at that level, they realize that it doesn't matter what gun they use, but who throws the most money at them..

My point is both pistols will be awesome and I'm sure you'll like both, so pick the one that speaks to you most because i can guarantee you, that neither will give you a real competitive advantage over the other. And if people want to argue it will, them I'm sure you wouldn't have needed our opinions in the first place!

The only real argument that can be made here is that combat Master is only available in 9mm which actually puts you at a disadvantage in limited.. but that's due to old outdated rules imo..  If you're shooting 3-gun, or just wanting to have fun then again then it's doesn't matter! 

JJ shot an Atlas gun in the limited match.

16 minutes ago, 3GN said:

So what that’s mean ? JJ shot Extreme Euro Open with Czechmate in 9 mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what .Eric G. win now few big matches with his new Skoda 2

it's the pro shooter not the metal that he use.😉

I've not held or shot an Atlas, but I've spent a lot of time behind an Infinity.  It you want/need "one of a kind" cuts, colors and designs, nobody can touch them.  If you demand a 1# trigger, they can deliver that as well and they absolutely have one of the best resale values I've seen.

BUT, there are lots of builders out there who can build you an extremely accurate, 100% reliable pistol for much less money and shorter lead time.  I drank the blue koolaide for a long time, but they are not the only game out there......

I've not held or shot an Atlas, but I've spent a lot of time behind an Infinity.  It you want/need "one of a kind" cuts, colors and designs, nobody can touch them.  If you demand a 1# trigger, they can deliver that as well and they absolutely have one of the best resale values I've seen.

BUT, there are lots of builders out there who can build you an extremely accurate, 100% reliable pistol for much less money and shorter lead time.  I drank the blue koolaide for a long time, but they are not the only game out there......

I agree with you !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, AWLAZS said:

Why don't they all run Atlas, SVI, Akai, Limcat (won Nationals 2018)

I thought this person was indicating Limcat won last years limited nationals. 

Edited by AWLAZS

Used to be you had a choice between STI where you could buy a cheap ugly gun and pay a gunsmith to make it run. You could buy an SV that looked great, cost way more and pay a gunsmith to make it run. Quality on both seems much better in recent years. The factory SVI bought in 2003(ish) sucked. Still have it, although most of the parts have been replaced. Looking at your original post it seems you like the SV more. If you do, go for it. Doesn’t seem like you would go wrong with either and if the SV makes you happy and you can swing it, buy the one you want.  

I don't know if it matters or not but one thing to consider is that SVIs can be 5.4" whereas Atlas is only 5" barrel. It was a consideration for me when I was looking for a backup for my SVI, I didn't want to have two different loads for different barrel lengths so I nixed Atlas as an alternative.

Lots of people can build a gun just as good as SVI.  It's actually pretty simple if you have the right skill set.  The advantage they have is the parts, plus their ability, and willingness, to do all kinds of custom stuff.