Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Race Holster Suggestions

jrn1975

I am currently using a Double Alpha Racemaster but I have been having a lot of issues with it since getting the phoenix trinity insert so I am in the market for something different. 

With the racemaster, I have a ton of gun movement when the gun is holstered.  The gun also "sticks" a lot on the draw.  The holster worked great when I was using it with an SV grip and insert.  I have tried everything to get it working correctly so I think its just time to move on.

Has anyone used the Racemaster and then switched to another brand?  Pros/ cons?  I am currently looking at the CR speed but I am open to anything that works reliably. 

Thanks

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

Thanks Sarge.. Yea, I bought the PT grip insert when I switched over to the PT grip. Started out with a lot of sticking which has minimized some but now the gun has an 1/8 in movement from where the dust cover moves away from the holster body when its holstered.  IE, the gun moves a lot when holstered.  Never had this issue with the SV and SV grip insert.  I could try another grip insert.. the one I have is a month old, but at 50 bucks a pop I am starting to think the money may be better spent on a new rig.

I am currently using a Double Alpha Racemaster but I have been having a lot of issues with it since getting the phoenix trinity insert so I am in the market for something different. 

With the racemaster, I have a ton of gun movement when the gun is holstered.  The gun also "sticks" a lot on the draw.  The holster worked great when I was using it with an SV grip and insert.  I have tried everything to get it working correctly so I think its just time to move on.

Has anyone used the Racemaster and then switched to another brand?  Pros/ cons?  I am currently looking at the CR speed but I am open to anything that works reliably. 

Thanks

Had a Racemaster and Alpha-X and am very happy with the Everglades Magnetic Race Holster.

Better adjustability, stability, and much smoother & consistency in the action.

9 hours ago, jrn1975 said:

Thanks Sarge.. Yea, I bought the PT grip insert when I switched over to the PT grip. Started out with a lot of sticking which has minimized some but now the gun has an 1/8 in movement from where the dust cover moves away from the holster body when its holstered.  IE, the gun moves a lot when holstered.  Never had this issue with the SV and SV grip insert.  I could try another grip insert.. the one I have is a month old, but at 50 bucks a pop I am starting to think the money may be better spent on a new rig.

Sorry, I guess I skipped right over that part.  My gun wiggles a little as well in my AlphaX, but never have problems on the draw.

5 hours ago, candiru said:

Had a Racemaster and Alpha-X and am very happy with the Everglades Magnetic Race Holster.

Better adjustability, stability, and much smoother & consistency in the action.

This 👆.. Hands down 

Check if the front grip bushing in the grip is rubbing on the holster for the sticking. Take the little barrel and screws out of the front of the grip and try it then. If it 

does not stick you need to shorten the barrel with a file, just a couple passes is all that is needed. 

I have an older limcat holster, that used to lock in polymer grips but left wiggle room. I recently got a stainless Limcat grip and it took some adjusting but now there is no movement in the locked or unlocked position. And drawing is smooth.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I also recently switched to an Everglades Holster.  I really like it.  This one holster handles all four of my Open guns without adjustment.  With the Racemaster and Alpha X I was always having to change out magnetic block to suit the gun I was going to shoot that day.  I wish their thigh pad was designed differently, but that is my only complaint.  The draw is smoother and quicker than with either of the DAAs.

I really want to switch to the MRH when I get my 2011.  The only thing holding me back is the fact that I run a 1.5" belt for USPSA, and a 1.75" ELS belt for 3 Gun.  The Alpha-X allows me to have a mount on each and then swap the holster depending on the event.  Makes it super easy.  If I go MRH I either need two of them and a new belt for 3 Gun, or I have one that I'm swapping back and forth and still need a new belt for 3 Gun.

I have tried everything I can think of to prevent 25-50% of my draws with a 2011and PT EVO grip from sticking in an Alpha X. I've spent hours with the gun and insert just putting on and off and I can't reproduce the sticking except when drawing from the holster. I even bought a new insert to see if the first one was defective. No change.

The problem seems to be associated with the angle of extraction but minor differences give dramatic sticking results. When it works its great. When it doesn't its a major distraction. Lot of money tied up in this. I just ordered an Everglades MRH. I hope you guys who like them are right.

AAARGHH! 

5 hours ago, Brooke said:

I have tried everything I can think of to prevent 25-50% of my draws with a 2011and PT EVO grip from sticking in an Alpha X. I've spent hours with the gun and insert just putting on and off and I can't reproduce the sticking except when drawing from the holster. I even bought a new insert to see if the first one was defective. No change.

The problem seems to be associated with the angle of extraction but minor differences give dramatic sticking results. When it works its great. When it doesn't its a major distraction. Lot of money tied up in this. I just ordered an Everglades MRH. I hope you guys who like them are right.

AAARGHH! 

That pesky little front strap grip screw is what caused all my problems when my Cheely grip was sticking.

16 minutes ago, Sarge said:

That pesky little front strap grip screw is what caused all my problems when my Cheely grip was sticking.

I had the same issue with my akai and the daa. a few passes with a file , shortened the barrel and all was good after. 

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

Is that on the gun or the holster?  I ask, because if/when I switch from the Czechmate to a 2011, I'm 99% sure I'll be going with the new Cheely E2 Aggressive with their new magwell.

And unless I give up 3 gun I'll likely stick with the DAA.

2 hours ago, clw42 said:

Is that on the gun or the holster?  I ask, because if/when I switch from the Czechmate to a 2011, I'm 99% sure I'll be going with the new Cheely E2 Aggressive with their new magwell.

And unless I give up 3 gun I'll likely stick with the DAA.

The gun. The tiny screw with bushing where trigger guard attaches to frame. It seems these are drop in fit for plastic grips but most metal grips are slightly thinner and bushing is too long to let screw heads sink inside the grip width. Screw heads then bind on holster block

31 minutes ago, Sarge said:

The gun. The tiny screw with bushing where trigger guard attaches to frame. It seems these are drop in fit for plastic grips but most metal grips are slightly thinner and bushing is too long to let screw heads sink inside the grip width. Screw heads then bind on holster block

Okay, thanks.  I'll keep an eye out for that when the time comes.

17 hours ago, Sarge said:

I completely agree with you. However I have relieved the plastic insert in the area where the grip screw contacts it. Relieving it seems ok because it's only necessary along the top edge of the insert. The lower portion doesn't contact the screw so it can remain to prevent lateral sloppiness of the gun-holster combination. While I'm convinced you are correct, I can't relieve the holster any further and see no reason to do so---except the problem remains even with no contact between the holster and grip screw head.

I'm really surprised that DAA hasn't commented on this issue because 2011's constitute a large percentage of the race holster use and steel grips are the current rage (for good reason).

My Everglades MRH arrives today so I'll let everyone know how that works. I could have had it earlier because Shooters Connection has one in stock that I could have driven up to get, but stupid me never looked.

Ok my Everglades MRH arrived. Holy cow!! This thing is the ticket for a PT EVO grip. Draw is like there is no holster   Just like pulling the gun through the air. This is the only experience I have but someone else said it works great with  CK steel grip. 

Caution...it is not for CZ’s. Everglades says that and they are not kidding. I put my Shadow 2 in it and I promise it’s a free ticket to Dairy Queen and even if that doesn’t happen it’s a disaster. 

Very nice holster that works great with a 2011 PT EVO grip

I love my Everglades... no insert blocks, no inserts needed at all for plastic grips, PT, Cheely, SV, Limcat, single undercut, double undercut. if the width of the trigger guard fits, it ships!👍