Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trijicon SRO problems

Rich406

2 minutes ago, Czgunsalot said:

Why does the sro look so banged up?

Im not a guy that keeps my gear all clean and etc. but that thing like like it’s been tested by sage dynamic

When I was initially installing it, I had a hex bit break off in the mounting screw when I was torquing it. I had to angle a Dremel tool in to cut a slot so that I could get the screw out.  I wish I could have just drilled it out, but the bit was hardened which made it a no go. 

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, chevrofreak said:

I see you are shooting here on the 20th.  I would be interested in taking a peek at your SRO if you will be using it. 

Sure, just hit me up before the match starts. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, hawaiifivebro said:

Updates?

I picked up a x5 legion and the SRO overhangs the ejection port too much so I haven't been using it. I'm not sure that the SRO can be made to work with the x5 legion without direct milling it to the slide. Before that I was up to about 6500 rounds on my main sro. Over multiple SROs there was no question that the elevation adjustment would move by itself. In the end I just used some witness marks, and moved it back as needed. 

I did have one SRO arrive with a fuzzy dot, I sent that one to trijicon and am waiting to hear back. 

I have 1k rounds with my SRO on a M&P including 2 matches and a 2 day class.  No issues yet.  I really like the big window and bright dot.

I am planning on getting a X5 Legion, so its disappointing to hear that the SRO sits too far forward.  

1 hour ago, dtuns said:

More of a competition optic He said

he seemed really bothered by that fact. Just listening to the review in the background I feel like at least twice a minute for the 15min video he had to mention its not for duty use. 

5 minutes ago, Dutchman195 said:

he seemed really bothered by that fact. Just listening to the review in the background I feel like at least twice a minute for the 15min video he had to mention its not for duty use. 

I agree. lol

I received my trijicon SRO today. Went to the range to try it out and had several issues with jamming. I’m the manual it warns that the front of the SRO can’t overhang the ejection port. I would say in my case that it is pretty much dead even with the back of the ejection port.  The empty space under the front creates a trap for brass. 

11C894AF-332B-4BF2-9531-BE0E54EE4627.thumb.jpeg.1a0f1b88e32ffdad45e7a6219ed1e65c.jpeg

I’m wondering what anyone thinks who has mounted one on a Glock with a mounting plate. That’s what I was about to do when I get the SRO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not good news with one on order. Let us know what they say. 
Do they not test these things????

Jeez at that price point you’d think that wouldn’t be a prob.

38 minutes ago, benvoice said:

Jeez at that price point you’d think that wouldn’t be a prob.

I actually had 3 on order and have cancelled my order. Sticking with RTS2's. 

There are videos on YT showing issues. I know only a few known issues but with only a handful out there, I'll wait a while. 

Edited by echotango

Anyone who thought that ANY new slide mounted red dot was going to magically work perfectly with zero issues is in fantasy land. Slide Mounted Red Dots can and will fail regardless of manufacture. Embrace that fact and have a proactive plan for dealing with the failures when they happen.

Here is the sobering reality of the situation. Slide mounted red dots will never be 100% reliable until a company makes a truly ruggedized version that will likely cost several thousand dollars. Nobody would pay several thousand dollars for a red dot sight so they will never exist. The market can justify $300 - $600 for a red dot sight. Manufactures are forced to produce a product that fits into that price point knowing full well that they will likely not hold up to serious competition level use. Its likely cheaper for them to play the warranty replace game for competition shooters while selling "Cheap" sights as they know the bulk of the customers buying them will never shoot more than 1000 rounds on the guns they are mounted on. 

Cha-Lee  hit it on the head, if you can sell 1000 sights and of that half end up on pistols and of that 1 ends up on a pistol that gets shot in any kind of real quantity, you can replace lots and lots of sights for free for way less cost than making one that can actually stand up to the tens of thousands of rounds many of us put through our guns.

1 minute ago, echotango said:

They all die even on frame mounts for one reason or another.

I play musical chairs all the time with the warranty dept.

output.jpg

What problems do you have with the RTS2s? I assume they are all V4s?

5 minutes ago, Rich406 said:

What problems do you have with the RTS2s? I assume they are all V4s?

Yes and 1 V5.  The dot dies. they will strobe with no battery issues and turn off.  They seem to last about a year with barrel holes.  Not sure if it has anything to do with it or not.  I have had outstanding customer service with c-more and the turnaround time is not long. 

1 is slide mounted and have not had any issues thus far.

Edited by echotango

Reminds me of my issues with DPPs. I only shot CO for about 6 months. Had 3 DPPs - but that wasn't enough. Twice, they had two of my units in for repairs at the same time. To their credit, when I mentioned that to their customer service folks - they would put a rush on one of them to make sure it got back to me within a few days so that I could have a backup on hand.

Still, that whole mess was one of the reasons I got out of CO.

But now, here I am planning to give it another run with SROs. Probably silly to hope for a better experience in terms of reliability. But that's what I'm doing.