Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trijicon SRO problems

Rich406

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, sstephns said:

Looks like it solved a problem you didn't realize you had. Looks like the brass was hitting you in the face if that's your ejection pattern...

The brass never ejects straight back. What is happening is as the brass is ejected it clips the optic and bounces back toward the breech. Ive seen both Glocks and sig p320s do this. It seems like its an issue with most polymer guns. With previous optics, RTS2, DPP, Romeo1, etc, the brass just bounces off the optic and usually goes forward instead of off to the side. With the SRO there is enough space beneath the optic window that the brass can get trapped and cause a malfunction.

3 hours ago, Rich406 said:

as the brass is ejected it clips the optic and bounces back toward the breech.

This sound like a bigger issue than an occasional malfunction. I don't think the optic will last long if it's being constantly hit by ejected brass.

11 minutes ago, lstange said:

This sound like a bigger issue than an occasional malfunction. I don't think the optic will last long if it's being constantly hit by ejected brass.

Its a very common issue with a variety of guns.

On 6/12/2019 at 6:40 PM, CHA-LEE said:

Tuning the extractor and ejector is needed to change the trajectory of the brass. This is especially true if you are shooting bunny fart reloads.

Thank you. I never understood changing spring weights to fix ejection issues. 

So as an update. I now have about 1000 rounds through the gun since I replaced the extractor, spring and slightly filed the sight. And have had no further issues. Fingers crossed. 

On 6/12/2019 at 1:49 PM, lstange said:

It probably will.  My Romeo 1 has been a deflector for 20k+ with no issues other than the paint is gone.  I’ve tried all different weights of recoil springs.  It is a common issue with the x-5, both mine do it.  

So since my last update I’ve had zero problems with brass jamming under the optic. However I have noticed that the SRO wasn’t holding zero. It was consistently .5-1.5” low when I’d check it. I zero’d the optic last Friday and shot 2 matches last weekend. On Sunday I was inspecting the optic and noticed that the elevation adjustment screw wasn’t in the same orientation as I remembered. 

Today I went to the range. Initially the POI was off about .5”. I rezero’d the gun and marked the adjustment screw. After about 200 rounds the screw had moved 1 click by itself. After 500 rounds the screw had moved 2-3 clicks by itself. I’ve tested this on 2 different SROs and both of their elevation screws move by themselves under recoil. 

Guess I’ll contact Trijicon and see what they say. 

B1011D0F-5F7B-40F8-AC19-C1F5BF31252F.jpeg

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 2:49 PM, lstange said:

12k rounds on my X5 with Romeo 1, all 12k have hit the optic housing. knock on wood the dot is still going strong

3 hours ago, Rich406 said:

So since my last update I’ve had zero problems with brass jamming under the optic. However I have noticed that the SRO wasn’t holding zero. It was consistently .5-1.5” low when I’d check it. I zero’d the optic last Friday and shot 2 matches last weekend. On Sunday I was inspecting the optic and noticed that the elevation adjustment screw wasn’t in the same orientation as I remembered. 

Today I went to the range. Initially the POI was off about .5”. I rezero’d the gun and marked the adjustment screw. After about 200 rounds the screw had moved 1 click by itself. After 500 rounds the screw had moved 2-3 clicks by itself. I’ve tested this on 2 different SROs and both of their elevation screws move by themselves under recoil. 

Not good news with one on order. Let us know what they say. 

Do they not test these things????

Edited by echotango

it's pretty amazing you even caught this. Anyone ever check their RMR's to see if this happens with those as well?

At what distance are you zeroing this thing ?

I thought these were made on the same platform as the RMR.

Having one on order as well, this is concerning

5 hours ago, Rich406 said:

Dude.  This problem holding zero is totally raining on my parade.  Just like everybody else, I figured the SRO would be just as stable as the RMR.  I don't remember this ever being an issue when I used the RMR in carry optics.  Maybe I need to go back and test the RMR to see if the windage or elevation screws are walking on me.  I've never used the paint markers before, but I need to try them now.

Not cool.  I need this issue to be resolved so I can order an SRO and resume the warm fuzzies generated by my fantasies of a new CO build.

My uninformed, uneducated guess: Trijicon recycled the exact same zero screws for the SRO from the RMR. However, the greater mass of the SRO (or perhaps taller body) leads to some sort of greater leverage against the detents which hold the zero screw in place, and the hardware that was adequate for the RMR is insufficient for the SRO.

13 hours ago, Rich406 said:

Not to make light of the adjustment screw moving, but how does one determine that POI has moved by .5"  Especially with a 1moa adjustment?  
A quick fix would be a dab of clear fingernail polish over the adjustment screw.  

If one moa equals roughly 1" at 100 yards and 2" at 200 yards then it is 1/4" at 25 yards.  Right? And if a 2.5moa dot covers 2.5" at 100 yards then it is covering.0.6 of an inch at 25yrds. so there is almost (0.875) a full inch of variable at 25 yards. Or am I doing the math wrong?

12 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

If one moa equals roughly 1" at 100 yards and 2" at 200 yards then it is 1/4" at 25 yards.  Right? And if a 2.5moa dot covers 2.5" at 100 yards then it is covering.0.6 of an inch at 25yrds. so there is almost (0.875) a full inch of variable at 25 yards. Or am I doing the math wrong?

my point exactly.  

5 hours ago, Shadyscott999 said:

Not to make light of the adjustment screw moving, but how does one determine that POI has moved by .5"  Especially with a 1moa adjustment?  
A quick fix would be a dab of clear fingernail polish over the adjustment screw.  

By shooting a group and look at where it is relative to where you were aiming? I usually zero 15 yards from a rest.

That said its nearly impossible to tell in a match setting if the POI is off by 1-2 inches. Especially vertical alignment.

Since its a new optic ive been checking the zero at each practice session and it was always low when id check after shooting any significant amount of rounds. I just happened to notice the adjustment screw moving because the slot was exactly vertical the last time I had zero'd it. I'd estimate it had moved 5-7 clicks.

I'm going to try the clear nail polish, but I wish the optic had a locking screw, or it had a stronger detent system like the DPP.

Edited by Rich406

1 hour ago, rowdyb said:

The Dot may cover a certain area but its still a matter of centering the dot over your POA. Or am I misunderstanding what you are talking about?