Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

To eject or not eject

konkapot

New to me Open gun. Cleaned and properly lubed. 

Have fired 300 rds of Atlanta Arms 38SC ammo. Have had three failures to eject. Casing is caught in the ejection port, open end of the casing facing outboard.to the right. 

All 300 rounds have been fired through the same magazine. 

What should I check first? 

Try a 2nd mag (and a 3rd).    I had same problem with 9mm Major TruBor,

and it turned out it was one of my mags.

I'd also check with the previous owner - what do they say ?

Have you run The Plunk Test on the ammo --   I know, it should be good, but worth checking ...

Is that a 2011 or a Glock open gun ?

2011. Unknown builder, but previous owner (also a gunsmith) has generally seconded what's been posted here so far. 

The recoil spring feels heavy to me; previous owner recommended an 10 or 11; what's in here now is much heavier than that. 

Will try any suggestions to get this figured out. 

Two of my Open guns will function with 10 lb recoil springs, but the brass just dribbles out.  Both run fine with 9 lb springs, but 8 is the sweet spot.  My newest Open gun will not run properly with anything over a 7 lb spring.

17 hours ago, EEH said:

my gun is also wet with oil, wet

I ran a 7LB with that bullet combination and also found my 2011 needed to be dripping with lubrication to function 100% of the time.

Where are the rounds that do eject landing?

Are they barely coming out and almost landing at your feet?

Is there anything consistent with the pattern?

What type scope and mount?

I would start with a 10lb spring and see what happens and how your dot tracks.  Then try a 9lb and see what happens and how your dot tracks.  A lot of things come into play, slide tightness, spring length, ejector drag etc

Also when you take it to the range, load up a mag and rack your rounds through the gun w/o firing it and see what its doing. Then move onto changing the recoil spring poundage.

Edited by bigboy69

On an indoor range so the casings bounce a bit but they are NOT flying out of the gun for sure; disregarding the bouncers there were 5-10 that were basically at my feet. 

Hello: Sounds like a recoil spring problem. I test all my springs since I replaced one years ago and the pistol would not run. I put the old spring in and it ran great. I made a tester and the 9lb spring was actually a 15lb spring. I then switched to ISMI springs and I have not had a problem. I still check them and the one that comes out of the pistol to make sure they are close in spring weight. Chrome silicon springs are better than piano wire springs. They last longer and hold their spring weight longer. That is what valve springs are made out of in your car. Sprinco make some good springs also. I would buy a 8lb and 9lb for your open pistol. That should get you where you want to be. Thanks, Eric

On 5/5/2019 at 12:28 PM, konkapot said:

Have fired 300 rds of Atlanta Arms 38SC ammo. Have had three failures to eject. Casing is caught in the ejection port, open end of the casing facing outboard.to the right. 

Is that what the previous owner shot in it and are they major power factor?