Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rejection rate of 9mm in Hundo case Guage

Less than 1%.  I am using an EGW undersized die.  I also sort out all stepped and CBC brass ahead of time.  There is another thread about the CBC brass you should search for and read.

Mike

With typical mixed 9mm range brass you should be able to get your reject rate to less than a couple percent.

The most likely suspect is that you need to lower your sizing die. The typical response from a new hand loader using a progressive press is “my sizing die is against the plate”. 99% of the time, it’s not.

If you’re using a progressive press try this; during a reloading session with the shell plate full, try to slip a piece of paper between the edge of the sizing die and the shell plate. If you can, your sizing die isn’t low enough. It takes a few tries and a bit of patience to get a sizing die low enough on a progressive press but one you get it, your reject rate should plummet.

For the record, I also use an EGW die for 9mm and my reject rate is well below 1% on the Hundo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I reset my sizing die and made sure it was low enough. I ran 100 cases and it is much better but still had about 10% that did not set completely flush. One of those was a cracked case and 8 were CBC brass.  I’ll look into the EGW die. Thanks again

9 hours ago, levellinebrad said:

I just bought a Hundo 9mm gauge and getting 20% rejects. 

The real question is "of the 20% rejected by Hundo, how many are rejected by your chamber ? "

On match day, it doesn't matter if your rounds fit in the Hundo, only if they fit in your chamber.     :) 

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

The real question is "of the 20% rejected by Hundo, how many are rejected by your chamber ? "

On match day, it doesn't matter if your rounds fit in the Hundo, only if they fit in your chamber.     :) 

This is very true. I don’t know if any of these fit the chamber but will hopefully know in about 2 weeks. I bet most of the loads I loaded today would fit as they “almost” fit the gauge. They were all loaded for a buddy and he’s shooting them from a stock glock. 

12 minutes ago, levellinebrad said:

This is very true. I don’t know if any of these fit the chamber but will hopefully know in about 2 weeks. I bet most of the loads I loaded today would fit as they “almost” fit the gauge. They were all loaded for a buddy and he’s shooting them from a stock glock. 

For a Glock if the extractor groove is mostly into the gauge they'll feed. I still chuck them in the practice pile.

Bullet diameter affects reject rate. With Blues and jacketed (.355) I see maybe 5% being strict, at .356 it's about 10% letting anything with the rim partially down pass, gets worse as diameter increases. CBC is a common failure, with .357 or larger I use domestic brass only to keep the reject rate manageable.

I use regular Lee dies, no U or FCD, if I suddenly start getting a bunch of rejects usually my crimp die has moved.

I used to be at 5% with a egw U die for 9. I never sort brass by head stamp and don’t plan to. A couple of years ago I read a thread that recommended switching from hornady one shot to dillon’s lanolin based lube. I did and now my failure rate is less than 1%. Maybe 5 of 1000. I now make my own lanolin lube and it’s been working great for 10s of thousands of rounds.

• 3 weeks later...

Just started using the Hundo gauge. I was at about 4-5%. I readjusted my sizing die and am down to 2% on average. I would also keep a single gauge handy and double check your rejected hundo rounds in that.

Even before I got my Might Armory die I had a rejection rate of maybe 1 in a thousand or more, and that's with the outside range brass at my club, which can be a mix of everything. Now I am only using once fired IVI brass from my indoor and I never have a reject. 

I was curious what everyone’s rejection rate was when you case guage your ammo. I just bought a Hundo 9mm guage and am getting about 20% rejects. 

I get about the same, but my hundo is much tighter than my chamber, so anything that doesn’t fly in the gauge goes into the practice ammo bin. That system has worked for me so far, and I don’t have to throw ammo out. Best of luck!

On 4/2/2019 at 7:03 AM, theblacklabel18 said:

I get about the same, but my hundo is much tighter than my chamber, so anything that doesn’t fly in the gauge goes into the practice ammo bin. That system has worked for me so far, and I don’t have to throw ammo out. Best of luck!

I’m throwing all of the rejects in a practice bin as well. I’ve probably shot 150 rejects and three of those failed to feed. The rest were fine but I’m not chancing it

1 minute ago, levellinebrad said:

I’m throwing all of the rejects in a practice bin as well. I’ve probably shot 150 rejects and three of those failed to feed. The rest were fine but I’m not chancing it

Thats the way to go. After a while you learn how badly they have to fail in order to actually be a potential problem, but definitely still use all of them as practice.

I’m seeing a similar 10-20%, but I’m loading on a square deal and rejecting pretty much anything that sticks up even the tiniest bit. I do give any round that only fails by a bit a second chance in a different hole, but that rarely lets anything additional through. 

As others have said, I use the rejects in practice and rarely have any issues- I think I had 1 jam out of 150-200 rejects last time I went through them. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/9/2019 at 5:38 AM, levellinebrad said:

I was curious what everyone’s rejection rate was when you case guage your ammo. I just bought a Hundo 9mm guage and am getting about 20% rejects. 

Have you marked the rounds with a sharpie to see where they are rubbing on the Hondo gauge?   When I started reloading 9mm on my 1050, I had similar issue.  Turned out the Zero 124s I was using, the ogive was rubbing on the gauge.  I loaded them a little shorter, problem solved.  

Using EGW-U size die, I get probably .5% failure rate, if that many.

Edited by GregJ

7 hours ago, GregJ said:

Have you marked the rounds with a sharpie to see where they are rubbing on the Hondo gauge?   When I started reloading 9mm on my 1050, I had similar issue.  Turned out the Zero 124s I was using, the ogive was rubbing on the gauge.  I loaded them a little shorter, problem solved.  

Using EGW-U size die, I get probably .5% failure rate, if that many.

I have not but I will. Thanks for the info. 

I have been using the rejects for practice and not one single failure since I passed the thousand round mark

• 2 weeks later...

Loaded up a couple hundred rounds this morning but before I case gauged them, I used a little cloth cylinder that came with a new  cleaning kit I bought last week. Ran it through ever hole 2 or 3 times and had 1 failure (split brass) out of 200 rounds after that. I guess my gauge was dirty. Just thought I’d let everyone know in case anyone else was having issues. 

23 minutes ago, levellinebrad said:

Loaded up a couple hundred rounds this morning but before I case gauged them, I used a little cloth cylinder that came with a new  cleaning kit I bought last week. Ran it through ever hole 2 or 3 times and had 1 failure (split brass) out of 200 rounds after that. I guess my gauge was dirty. Just thought I’d let everyone know in case anyone else was having issues. 

Yeah they get a little dirty. I blow mine out with a compressor every few times I use it for good measure.

i run mine through the top rack of the dishwasher to clean the hundo gauge.

using either a U die and/or a Lee fcd and plated/jacketed and my rejection rate is less than 1%

I am in the stone age with a one hole gauge.  I use the Lee CFC which cuts my rejects down to maybe 2% and even those will nearly always chamber and fire in practice.  When hit with the "Squee, it's going to size down your bullets and you won't be able to hit anything." plaint, I look at some ammo and see that the burnish mark from the CFC is typically near the head of the case where the Dillon sizing die radius doesn't reach, not over the projectile.   And not even that when loading 115s with a U die to give some "coke bottle" and prevent setback. 

I have an EGW 4-holer which is not much use because its "chambers" have no throat and any bullet other than hardball will not enter. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2019 at 12:29 AM, slavex said:

Even before I got my Might Armory die I had a rejection rate of maybe 1 in a thousand or more, and that's with the outside range brass at my club, which can be a mix of everything. Now I am only using once fired IVI brass from my indoor and I never have a reject. 

Would you say the mighty armoury die was a noticeable difference from what you were using before? I use a Dillon now with roll sized range brass and only get way less than 1% but I have a MA 223 die and it’s been incredible.