Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rejection rate of 9mm in Hundo case Guage

I’m at about 1% that fail the hundo using Unsorted range brass run with a U die.  This is after a second drop in with the first few failures as my gauge has three holes that seem tighter than the others.  When the three failed rounds are moved to another hole they almost always pass....anyone else run into this? Full disclosure I purchased a light blem direct but was under the impression the holes were fully in spec just cosmetic issues.

• 6 months later...
On 3/11/2019 at 2:09 PM, MikeyScuba said:

One shot here and it's less than 1%.  I do get rid of Sumbro which is troublesome. Range brass

Lee U die and roll-sized.

There’s your answer, they are

roll sized. Brings the brass back to

factory spec. I was around 10-15% not case gauging before roll sizing. Now 1% or less. but only about 1% wouldn’t fit into 2011 barrel 

Edited by Hockeycor22

I'm very new to reloading so that might be part of the problem but I'm at about 15-17% with coated (135gr .357") and about 3-5% with JHPs. Been using fully processed brass with mixed head stamp.

With the coated bullets, it feels like riding the line between just enough crimp to pass the hundo and pulling a bullet to find a bunch of coating scraped off. Some of the scraping was due to the seating die crimping the case a little during bullet seating. Things have improved since backing the seating die out a few turns and running the stem back in. Polishing the DAA LnL powder funnel made a large difference as well. Most failures will pass by adding a little more crimp. I normally crimp coated to .378-.3785. I'm going to crimp a few to .377 and pull them with the above improvements and inspect the coating. If that works out, it should drop the failure rate quite a bit.

I load JHPs for my PCC and I've had them pass the hundo but not the plunk in the barrel. When crimped down to .377" they plunk and spin and look virtually untouched when pulled. 

• 1 month later...

post your crimp and sizing measurements. It's 100% due to you not sizing correctly or not crimping correctly. These gauges are on the tightest ends of SAAMI specs. Just because they dont gauge doesnt mean they wont work in your gun but its mostly due to your crimp not being exactly measured to spec

I've posted this before, but most of the time people that are having a lot of rejects, especially "just slightly" rejects from the Shockbotte Hundo either have a die problem or haven't ironed out the seating bell enough (often called 'crimp', but you don't even have to go that far).

I've got a bin of rounds sent in that "didn't fit" the gauge that I can see a sizable gap between bullet and brass on the inspection scope-- any decent 10X magnifier will show it too.  A few even resemble trumpets under magnification.

Coated bullet manufacturers like to steer people away from crimp because it can break their coating, but it's entirely possible to load coated bullets that will pass the gauge.

Combined seat+crimp dies can be trickier to adjust.  Many of them will leave the round slightly over-SAAMI in the front if not set perfectly.

All that said, if they fit your barrel, save the 'good' ones for a match and burn the rest in practice.  More than likely the gauge is tighter than your chamber.  That's how it's supposed to be.

If you think a gauge may be defective or if you just like mailing strangers ammo, you can send us a few dummy rounds with no powder or primer that fail your gauge to inspect (Shockbottle Hundo owners only.. I'm not fixing knockoff gauges) and we'll let you know if it's the ammo or the gauge.

1 hour ago, shred said:

Combined seat+crimp gauges can be trickier to adjust. 

YES, My reject rate (3-4%) dropped ( to 1% or less) after I started using separate seating and crimping

dies.

Edited by Tunachaser
wrong word

4 hours ago, hurley326 said:

post your crimp and sizing measurements. It's 100% due to you not sizing correctly or not crimping correctly. These gauges are on the tightest ends of SAAMI specs. Just because they dont gauge doesnt mean they wont work in your gun but its mostly due to your crimp not being exactly measured to spec

Not true.

Hundo and other case gauges can fail due to bulges from deeply seated bullets and bases damaged or bulged. The crimp size is only part of the equation.  Empty sized cases often gauge perfectly and then we cram a bullet down them and failures seem to happen out of no where. 

Personally I found most failures are due to deeply seated bullets in CBC brass, which have case wall that thicken sooner than most others. 

I lose 2 or 3 per hundred on my hundo but the only time they have not fit the barrel was split cases.  I save all the ones that fail for practice and they fit and fire I just feel better at a match knowing they all passed when Im shooting for score.

21 minutes ago, HesedTech said:

Not true.

Hundo and other case gauges can fail due to bulges from deeply seated bullets and bases damaged or bulged. The crimp size is only part of the equation.  Empty sized cases often gauge perfectly and then we cram a bullet down them and failures seem to happen out of no where. 

Personally I found most failures are due to deeply seated bullets in CBC brass, which have case wall that thicken sooner than most others. 

If you cram a bullet down there and the case Is bulged then there is an issue with your measurements as I had said. Thats why I said to post your crimp and sizing measurements and we would be able to tell if there is a bulge anywhere there isn't supposed to be. If you wedge a bullet to far and it messes up your sizing then its a problem. It always comes down to measures with this question. What I said is true.

However, most of the time when this question is asked the person is fairly familiar with reloading and is already measuring OAL and its on point. I see it asked once every other week where they measure OAL and its on track and then the bullet wont gauge the Hundo. It's because they are leaving out the crimp measurement and the sizing measurement. Most of the time they arent crimping down enough or dont have the sizing die screwed down far enough. Either way it comes down to providing measures to solve this problem.