Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What makes a single stack “competition ready?”

Solairefastora

Reliability and accuracy will be unknown until test fired but is most important.

Then it will be personal preference;

Sights, what do you want to see

trigger, pull weight and trigger shoe

safety, ambi or single side and beaver tail bump or non bump and hard tail

mag well, full profile or open front and material type stainless-alum.- brass-tungsten...

grips including: scales and front & back strap

mag release

Just something to think about.

Rich

Edited by RIIID

For me. 

1.125 fat fiber optic  front sight and adjustable rear.

Magwell

Grips per personal preference.

Thin Thumb safety that does not get in my way

Trigger at 3-4 lb and with a clean break.

Reduced weight magazine release spring (cheap, buy kit with 4 springs from brown-ells

Free from feed issues, free from mags sticking, accurate enough to stay in 4" circle at 25 yards (USPSA)

Basically what the title says. I’m looking into beginning a tenure in single stack, and rather than looking at brands, learn about what “features” would be optimal for a competition gun.

legally for the division it must be a bushing barrel.  preferences:

-0.090 front sight (I prefer all black because fiber optic blooms and right eyes astigmatism causes sharpness issue)

-Dawson or Techwell(require proprietary grips) Magwell

-adjustable rear sight 0.125 to go with thin front sight

-flat trigger such as X-line Vario or Infinity (I have EGW tank tread)

-single sided safety (hands are big and right first knuckle sweeps right safety up constantly)

- pinned grip safety (I use CK Arms grip safety that's designed to sit flush against frame)

-EGW Ignition kit(best trigger parts available)

-G10 grips

8537ea3f5306aab3e3ece613cc033559.jpge15bba4324fe369870e0bfbcf41eee41.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This is probably different for everyone, but you'll likely see some trends.

Adjustable rear sight all black

.090 front with green fiber

techwell positech grips

dawson no gap magwell

extended mag release

short curved trigger

trigger pull in the 2-3 lbs range is fine.

mags that work

get as close to the max weight as I can.

10 hours ago, Solairefastora said:

Basically what the title says. I’m looking into beginning a tenure in single stack, and rather than looking at brands, learn about what “features” would be optimal for a competition gun.

The shooter.

Just kidding! Kinda! 

The most important piece to me are good sights (as echoed by others on this thread). First and foremost. Dawson makes great sights, but 1911's have different cuts, depending on the mfg. Make sure you check the cuts compatibility before purchasing. Set your front sight width and FO dia to your preferences/median target distance/favored sizes.

The second (to me) are ergos. Find a set of grips that work with your releasing of the mags. Find reliable mags. Mark them.

Then, trigger, springs, magwell, not in particular order.

after reliability, reasonable accuracy, and a magwell, the rest is subjective.  There have been many different answers but these three are needed.  SS, i think even more than production is a division where cost of the gun has basically 0 to do with performance.  I shot a crapper Rock Island with a magwell, trigger job, and grip tape to A class and in doing so I beat tons of good shooters with guns that cost thousands of dollars more than the Rock Island. It even had the stock sights with a little flo orange paint applied (that said i dont heartily endorse RIs , they are kinda crappy, but would look for more of a good middle of the road gun).  

So you see "race ready" is really dependent on what you want, other that the 3 things i listed.  So go shoot some 1911s and see what you like, cause we are all just telling you what a "race ready" gun is for us

9 hours ago, Rnlinebacker said:

-0.090 front sight (I prefer all black because fiber optic blooms and right eyes astigmatism causes sharpness issue)

-single sided safety (hands are big and right first knuckle sweeps right safety up constantly)

- pinned grip safety (I use CK Arms grip safety that's designed to sit flush against frame)

-G10 grips

interesting gun you have there... Trojan slide on a different frame?

12 hours ago, Rnlinebacker said:

-G10 grips

Thanks for the response! For the Dawson Ice, I know the no gap version requires use of their base pads. Is it worth it in your opinion to buy the magwell then shell our extra for the pads?

Thanks for the response! For the Dawson Ice, I know the no gap version requires use of their base pads. Is it worth it in your opinion to buy the magwell then shell our extra for the pads?
if you're going to use any magwell in a single stack i'd highly recommend base pads as they will allow you two better grab mags on loads & reloads. I use Dawson's gap magwell with his base pads it's money well invested

6 minutes ago, Rnlinebacker said:

if you're going to use any magwell in a single stack i'd highly recommend base pads as they will allow you two better grab mags on loads & reloads. I use Dawson's gap magwell with his base pads it's money well invested

What magazines do you recommend to use them with?

19 hours ago, Rnlinebacker said:

https://dawsonprecision.com/competition-ready-magazines/tripp-competition-ready-magazines/

Any of these competition ready magazines based on your budget. What caliber will you be shooting?

I was thinking 9mm due to the large hordes of it I have.😀