Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
RangerTrace

ZEV OZ9

Recommended Posts

On 3/30/2019 at 7:08 PM, RangerTrace said:

It is softer than a G17.5, but not anything like a heavy 1911/2011.  The steel guide rod, and steel tac rail gets some weight on the nose, which helps.  I like the way it shoots and its by far the best shooting striker fired pistol I've ever shot.  


What about something like the STI Omni that comes with a polymer grip? weight shouldn't be toooo different, right?

Would be cool to see an island comp for this thing to both add some weight and reduce muzzle flip at the same time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, avastcosmicarena said:


What about something like the STI Omni that comes with a polymer grip? weight shouldn't be toooo different, right?

Would be cool to see an island comp for this thing to both add some weight and reduce muzzle flip at the same time.

It's still a few ounces lighter and it makes a difference.  And even the best glockish trigger can't match a decent 1911 trigger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/30/2019 at 7:08 PM, RangerTrace said:

It is softer than a G17.5, but not anything like a heavy 1911/2011.  The steel guide rod, and steel tac rail gets some weight on the nose, which helps.  I like the way it shoots and its by far the best shooting striker fired pistol I've ever shot.  

 

I agree.  Just got mine and will say, it is the best striker fired gun I have shot or owned.

 

Generally I am an SV or CZ shooter but I am really digging the gun.  Cycles fast and it is a very flat shooter.  Will shoot back to back with CZ sp01 custom since it has been a while.

 

Can't recall on the recoil amount other than to say it was not an issue and the gun felt very very flat and definitely better for me than my CZ.

 

Will surely rock it as my production gun this year.

 

Do need more Glock mags.  A few failures with the Glock Magpul mags so far... 

 

Some shooting footage.

 

Edited by Maksim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After spending a few days researching the OZ 9 I bought on from Big Daddy Unlimited for $1379.  I thought it was a good buy and can't wait to get my hands on.  But I need to ask all of you current OZ 9 owners, which Glock magazines will it take?  Gen 3, 4, 5 or all of the above?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I've been looking at these too and have futzed around with one in the gunshop and was impressed.  If it can be had for $1400 or less, I think it's a good deal, but I'm on the fence otherwise.  I priced out a dedicated carry optics build (no mags):

 

Slide Stripped - Suarez International - G4 G17 (On Sale)   240
OEM Frame - Stripped     129
Best Possible Stippling and frame work - Risen Gunworks   470
Barrel - SilencerCo G17 Barrel     180
Johnny Glock Custom Built, Drop-in Trigger     250
Gen 4 Upper Parts Kit     106
Gen 4 Lower Parts Kit (no trigger)     73.74
       

                                                                                                                              

                                                                                                                                                    1448.75

 

Obviously, you can spend a lot less (or nothing) on a stipple job and bring the price back to down to between $1,100-$1,250.  You could also factor in custom upper / lower parts, but I actually like to keep everything fairly stock.  I even like the OEM captured recoil spring (at least on the Gen 5's).  Some people choose not to run fixed sights for CO, so they're not included, but that would be another $100 or so.

 

In any case, for around the same cost as the OZ9 I can build an utterly tricked out G17 Gen 4 for Carry Optics.  I'd really love to shoot the OZ9, though.    

 

 

 

Edited by Mojo_Hand_052

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have never been a big fan of the polymer guns.  I was interested in the Glock, but hated the grip angle and questioned the durability of the slide rails embedded in the polymer.  I like the idea of  P320 and bought one.  But I haven't been enamored with it like my 1911's.  Nice gun and with a customized grip and Gray Guns trigger it's better, but really as a platform for my suppressor.  Then I saw the OZ 9. Or more specifically read about it and bought one from Big Daddy two weeks ago.  I've only put a little less than 100 rounds through it but it points better than my P320 and I think the recoil is less since the bore axis is lower.  Really, really impressed and considering I got this for less than $1400 I am happy.  I am shooting it with the Trijicon RMR and can say if you haven't installed one on your OZ 9, do it.

 

I am looking for holster recommendations.  New to the ""Glock" world so I would be interested in an OWC and/or IPDA holster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried this gun recently and I was thoroughly impressed by how well it pointed for me and how the grip felt. The trigger was also great, however I think you can achieve better (lighter) with other aftermarket triggers. I also liked that the RMR cut was very low and that co-witness should be possible with both RMR and SRO. It felt like a great gun for IPSC Production Optics where we are very limited on the mods we can do to a Glock 17. Although it was very pricey, nearly as much as my Tanfoglio Xtreme's.

 

After I got home I decided to research the gun a bit more and I came across the following youtube video: https://youtu.be/ls6gC8f5UQs?t=71 At around 1:38 it has an unintentional discharge. How could this have happened? From my understanding the OZ9 functions as any other Glocks, should not the firing pin block safety have prevented this? How could the sear engage by itself? Or is it possible that these come with the pre-travel taken out so much that it already pushed the block out of the way? Also the firing pin would need to be cocked further back to set of the primer than its half cocked position.

I was a bit interrested in this gun, but issues like this definitely deter me form buying straight away. I have not seen videos from that channel before so I am not certian how authentic it is. 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My video on the OZ9.  Out tonight at 10PM ET.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 7:29 PM, perob said:

I tried this gun recently and I was thoroughly impressed by how well it pointed for me and how the grip felt. The trigger was also great, however I think you can achieve better (lighter) with other aftermarket triggers. I also liked that the RMR cut was very low and that co-witness should be possible with both RMR and SRO. It felt like a great gun for IPSC Production Optics where we are very limited on the mods we can do to a Glock 17. Although it was very pricey, nearly as much as my Tanfoglio Xtreme's.

 

After I got home I decided to research the gun a bit more and I came across the following youtube video: https://youtu.be/ls6gC8f5UQs?t=71 At around 1:38 it has an unintentional discharge. How could this have happened? From my understanding the OZ9 functions as any other Glocks, should not the firing pin block safety have prevented this? How could the sear engage by itself? Or is it possible that these come with the pre-travel taken out so much that it already pushed the block out of the way? Also the firing pin would need to be cocked further back to set of the primer than its half cocked position.

I was a bit interrested in this gun, but issues like this definitely deter me form buying straight away. I have not seen videos from that channel before so I am not certian how authentic it is. 

 

 

 

 

I fondled one of these at the Canadian IPSC Nationals, very nice, but also very pricey.  You could go with a G17 gen 5 MOS FS, belt, pouches, holster, extra mags, trigger kit, fiber optic sight, red dot sight......and still have $1000 left over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got my hands on a ZEV at the NRA show this year. Man, they are the best custom Glocks on the market. I just wish they didn't cost soooooo much. I just dont know, for me, if they are good enough to warrant the price. They do feel great in the hand and they have good triggers. Just cant justify it I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I would wait a while, the novelty will wear off and the price will come down..  To make a Glock 34  close the the OZ9  would probably around 900 bucks with sights, trigger kit etc. These are race ready out of the box, i think a good price point would be 1199.00  i've shot one in a match, they do shoot flatter/softer than a glock  and the grip angle is 1911.

If you wanted a 5" gun that has the grip angle and shoots amazing, just get an M&P put a Apex trigger and dawson sights and your probably looking at  700 bucks done..  There's no better polymer trigger on the planet than an Apex FSS trigger  IMO.

Edited by bigtimelarry
forgot info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...