Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ZEV OZ9

RangerTrace

On 3/30/2019 at 7:08 PM, RangerTrace said:

It is softer than a G17.5, but not anything like a heavy 1911/2011.  The steel guide rod, and steel tac rail gets some weight on the nose, which helps.  I like the way it shoots and its by far the best shooting striker fired pistol I've ever shot.  

What about something like the STI Omni that comes with a polymer grip? weight shouldn't be toooo different, right?

Would be cool to see an island comp for this thing to both add some weight and reduce muzzle flip at the same time.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, avastcosmicarena said:

What about something like the STI Omni that comes with a polymer grip? weight shouldn't be toooo different, right?

Would be cool to see an island comp for this thing to both add some weight and reduce muzzle flip at the same time.

It's still a few ounces lighter and it makes a difference.  And even the best glockish trigger can't match a decent 1911 trigger.

• 1 month later...
On 3/30/2019 at 7:08 PM, RangerTrace said:

It is softer than a G17.5, but not anything like a heavy 1911/2011.  The steel guide rod, and steel tac rail gets some weight on the nose, which helps.  I like the way it shoots and its by far the best shooting striker fired pistol I've ever shot.  

I agree.  Just got mine and will say, it is the best striker fired gun I have shot or owned.

Generally I am an SV or CZ shooter but I am really digging the gun.  Cycles fast and it is a very flat shooter.  Will shoot back to back with CZ sp01 custom since it has been a while.

Can't recall on the recoil amount other than to say it was not an issue and the gun felt very very flat and definitely better for me than my CZ.

Will surely rock it as my production gun this year.

Do need more Glock mags.  A few failures with the Glock Magpul mags so far... 

Some shooting footage.

Edited by Maksim

• 2 weeks later...

After spending a few days researching the OZ 9 I bought on from Big Daddy Unlimited for $1379.  I thought it was a good buy and can't wait to get my hands on.  But I need to ask all of you current OZ 9 owners, which Glock magazines will it take?  Gen 3, 4, 5 or all of the above?

• 2 weeks later...

I've been looking at these too and have futzed around with one in the gunshop and was impressed.  If it can be had for $1400 or less, I think it's a good deal, but I'm on the fence otherwise.  I priced out a dedicated carry optics build (no mags):

Slide Stripped - Suarez International - G4 G17 (On Sale)   240
OEM Frame - Stripped     129
Best Possible Stippling and frame work - Risen Gunworks   470
Barrel - SilencerCo G17 Barrel     180
Johnny Glock Custom Built, Drop-in Trigger     250
Gen 4 Upper Parts Kit     106
Gen 4 Lower Parts Kit (no trigger)     73.74

1448.75

Obviously, you can spend a lot less (or nothing) on a stipple job and bring the price back to down to between $1,100-$1,250.  You could also factor in custom upper / lower parts, but I actually like to keep everything fairly stock.  I even like the OEM captured recoil spring (at least on the Gen 5's).  Some people choose not to run fixed sights for CO, so they're not included, but that would be another $100 or so.

In any case, for around the same cost as the OZ9 I can build an utterly tricked out G17 Gen 4 for Carry Optics.  I'd really love to shoot the OZ9, though.    

Edited by Mojo_Hand_052

I have never been a big fan of the polymer guns.  I was interested in the Glock, but hated the grip angle and questioned the durability of the slide rails embedded in the polymer.  I like the idea of  P320 and bought one.  But I haven't been enamored with it like my 1911's.  Nice gun and with a customized grip and Gray Guns trigger it's better, but really as a platform for my suppressor.  Then I saw the OZ 9. Or more specifically read about it and bought one from Big Daddy two weeks ago.  I've only put a little less than 100 rounds through it but it points better than my P320 and I think the recoil is less since the bore axis is lower.  Really, really impressed and considering I got this for less than $1400 I am happy.  I am shooting it with the Trijicon RMR and can say if you haven't installed one on your OZ 9, do it.

I am looking for holster recommendations.  New to the ""Glock" world so I would be interested in an OWC and/or IPDA holster

I tried this gun recently and I was thoroughly impressed by how well it pointed for me and how the grip felt. The trigger was also great, however I think you can achieve better (lighter) with other aftermarket triggers. I also liked that the RMR cut was very low and that co-witness should be possible with both RMR and SRO. It felt like a great gun for IPSC Production Optics where we are very limited on the mods we can do to a Glock 17. Although it was very pricey, nearly as much as my Tanfoglio Xtreme's.

After I got home I decided to research the gun a bit more and I came across the following youtube video: https://youtu.be/ls6gC8f5UQs?t=71 At around 1:38 it has an unintentional discharge. How could this have happened? From my understanding the OZ9 functions as any other Glocks, should not the firing pin block safety have prevented this? How could the sear engage by itself? Or is it possible that these come with the pre-travel taken out so much that it already pushed the block out of the way? Also the firing pin would need to be cocked further back to set of the primer than its half cocked position.

I was a bit interrested in this gun, but issues like this definitely deter me form buying straight away. I have not seen videos from that channel before so I am not certian how authentic it is. 

• 1 month later...
On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 7:29 PM, perob said:

I tried this gun recently and I was thoroughly impressed by how well it pointed for me and how the grip felt. The trigger was also great, however I think you can achieve better (lighter) with other aftermarket triggers. I also liked that the RMR cut was very low and that co-witness should be possible with both RMR and SRO. It felt like a great gun for IPSC Production Optics where we are very limited on the mods we can do to a Glock 17. Although it was very pricey, nearly as much as my Tanfoglio Xtreme's.

After I got home I decided to research the gun a bit more and I came across the following youtube video: https://youtu.be/ls6gC8f5UQs?t=71 At around 1:38 it has an unintentional discharge. How could this have happened? From my understanding the OZ9 functions as any other Glocks, should not the firing pin block safety have prevented this? How could the sear engage by itself? Or is it possible that these come with the pre-travel taken out so much that it already pushed the block out of the way? Also the firing pin would need to be cocked further back to set of the primer than its half cocked position.

I was a bit interrested in this gun, but issues like this definitely deter me form buying straight away. I have not seen videos from that channel before so I am not certian how authentic it is. 

I fondled one of these at the Canadian IPSC Nationals, very nice, but also very pricey.  You could go with a G17 gen 5 MOS FS, belt, pouches, holster, extra mags, trigger kit, fiber optic sight, red dot sight......and still have $1000 left over.

I got my hands on a ZEV at the NRA show this year. Man, they are the best custom Glocks on the market. I just wish they didn't cost soooooo much. I just dont know, for me, if they are good enough to warrant the price. They do feel great in the hand and they have good triggers. Just cant justify it I guess.

I would wait a while, the novelty will wear off and the price will come down..  To make a Glock 34  close the the OZ9  would probably around 900 bucks with sights, trigger kit etc. These are race ready out of the box, i think a good price point would be 1199.00  i've shot one in a match, they do shoot flatter/softer than a glock  and the grip angle is 1911.

If you wanted a 5" gun that has the grip angle and shoots amazing, just get an M&P put a Apex trigger and dawson sights and your probably looking at  700 bucks done..  There's no better polymer trigger on the planet than an Apex FSS trigger  IMO.

Edited by bigtimelarry
forgot info

• 3 months later...

So, me and a co-worker bought these as work guns.  While mine never malfunction (once the defective flat trigger was replaced) it was wearing in places that it should not have.  My co-workers pistol had continual issues with ejection and sheared off the lower barrel lugs on two difference ZEV barrels.  We sold out and won't be going back.

31 minutes ago, davsco said:

bump... i'm interested but would like some more recent feedback.  and yeah, better than barrel lugs shearing off...

Me too. The black competition version with bronze barrel is what I would get. A local has the standard OZ9 with over 4K on it and not one malfunction. Perhaps they have sorted out the issues now. I reached out to KC with a couple questions a few days ago and will update if he responds. 

I've had the regular OZ9 and now have an OZ9C (turned into a roland special)...and I like it much better for some reason.  

Their new "pro" trigger is kind of meh but I put a fulcrum in and it's pretty great.  

It's not cheap but you can see the quality in it compared to my franken builds over the years...but the Shadow Systems MR918 is just as good for about half the price.  It's the real stand out for non-Glock Glocks IMO.  

On 12/21/2019 at 11:49 PM, RangerTrace said:

So, me and a co-worker bought these as work guns.  While mine never malfunction (once the defective flat trigger was replaced) it was wearing in places that it should not have.  My co-workers pistol had continual issues with ejection and sheared off the lower barrel lugs on two difference ZEV barrels.  We sold out and won't be going back.

Do you think any of the problems you guys experienced are related to the frame/receiver/grip itself? If not, buying the lower receiver separately still seems like an interesting idea. After all, the steel receiver is the innovative part about it and what makes it shoot better (adds weight). Could always use a different upper entirely. not making excuses for the problems, just pondering whether or not building something on the modular lower might still be a good idea.

9 hours ago, uhmeebuh said:

I've had the regular OZ9 and now have an OZ9C (turned into a roland special)...and I like it much better for some reason.  

Their new "pro" trigger is kind of meh but I put a fulcrum in and it's pretty great.  

It's not cheap but you can see the quality in it compared to my franken builds over the years...but the Shadow Systems MR918 is just as good for about half the price.  It's the real stand out for non-Glock Glocks IMO.  

Have you shot the Shadow Systems? it seems like it has a good bit more muzzle flip, which makes sense considering how light it is. I'm curious about it as a carry gun option though. also curious how the grip angle feels vs a Polymer80 and the Zev OZ9....

Edited by avastcosmicarena

12 hours ago, avastcosmicarena said:

Do you think any of the problems you guys experienced are related to the frame/receiver/grip itself? If not, buying the lower receiver separately still seems like an interesting idea. After all, the steel receiver is the innovative part about it and what makes it shoot better (adds weight). Could always use a different upper entirely. not making excuses for the problems, just pondering whether or not building something on the modular lower might still be a good idea.

My guess is that Gaston Glock designed these pistols to have some flex during recoil and ZEV engineered the flex out of the pistol.  That or their geometry is slightly off.  

17 hours ago, avastcosmicarena said:

Have you shot the Shadow Systems? it seems like it has a good bit more muzzle flip, which makes sense considering how light it is. I'm curious about it as a carry gun option though. also curious how the grip angle feels vs a Polymer80 and the Zev OZ9....

Yes - I have an MR918 as well but I don’t notice a huge difference between them.  Now that my OZ9c is a Roland special, it definitely shoots softer.  

I view the MR918 as my carry 19 where as the Zev is my home defense pistol.  

I do tend to shoot the Zev more due to the comp and better trigger with the fulcrum installed...