Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ZEV OZ9

RangerTrace

On 1/25/2020 at 3:59 PM, scduckman03 said:

OZ9 broke today.. barrel lug snapped off.

(pic removed)

HOLY S***!

How many rounds do you think you had through it?

I have an OZ9c in a Roland Special configuration and have about 700 through it, about 30 of it with some hotter defensive loads.

This is really concerning since yours isn't the first issue like this. I'm just really wondering if it's an OZ9 issue, or a barrel problem. Either way I'll be checking my barrel lug closely as my round count progresses higher.

I have no doubt Zev will take care of you but jimminychristmas this shouldn't be happening in the first place.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talked with someone today at Zev, and from what she said they have narrowed down the issue to a small batch of barrels. Not sure if they are gonna do anything else to pistol before they send it back. She assured me that the pistol has a lifetime warranty, and that if I had anymore problems they would take care of it.  

On 2/4/2020 at 11:44 AM, scduckman03 said:

Talked with someone today at Zev, and from what she said they have narrowed down the issue to a small batch of barrels. Not sure if they are gonna do anything else to pistol before they send it back. She assured me that the pistol has a lifetime warranty, and that if I had anymore problems they would take care of it.  

I'm glad they're taking care of it. It'd be a lot cooler if there weren't any issues to begin with though. s#!t happens I guess.

When you get it back and you do want to sell it... you've got my username... ;)

Edited by Wormydog1724

As of now I have all intentions of keeping it. I am gonna put it through some test and hopefully I won’t have any problems. really would like to keep the pistol because to me there’s nothing out there that I can replace it with that’s  going to have the same features and grip angle for the same money.

Got an email today showing that my pistol has shipped out back to me. Looks like they threw in a $40 magazine with it. They changed out the trigger due to mine being on the recalled list. Replaced  the barrel with a match grade g17 barrel, sounds like the same barrel that they normally have in them. Hopefully this is the one and only problem I have with the pistol. 

Realized today that I misread the paper and they didn’t send me a magazine they replaced the magazine release, not sure why. It seemed to work just fine to me. Can’t wait to have it back tomorrow, hopefully I can get home before dark tomorrow afternoon and put some rounds through it. 

saw/handled my first zev oz9 at a gun show today.  felt pretty good.  was pretty disappointed in the trigger.  had a fair amount of take up and not a light break.  esp given that zev sells all kinds of connectors and springs etc to improve glock triggers.

On 2/4/2020 at 11:44 AM, scduckman03 said:

I'm glad they will fix it.  Just can't have that in a duty gun and that is where they are trying to market the gun.

Got pistol back and it is running great. Hopefully it continues to do so. I have no plans on getting rid of it at current time. It checks the boxes for me fight now and the only pistol I would replace it with is a staccato p duo and that would be an expensive swap. However if I have any more issues that is my plan. 

• 2 weeks later...

i really would like to be able to run an 80% glock lower with the good stippling and better grip angle in CO but guess i can't because they don't make complete guns.  So, given i already have a built-out 80% with aftermarket slide, red dot, trigger, etc, thinking about just buying the zev oz9 lower (grip and modular build kit).  has anyone done this and seen whether (or not) a glock gen 3 slide etc (or aftermarket) will work with the zev 'lower'?  zev says they cannot guarantee the two work together.

On 3/3/2020 at 5:43 PM, davsco said:

i really would like to be able to run an 80% glock lower with the good stippling and better grip angle in CO but guess i can't because they don't make complete guns.  So, given i already have a built-out 80% with aftermarket slide, red dot, trigger, etc, thinking about just buying the zev oz9 lower (grip and modular build kit).  has anyone done this and seen whether (or not) a glock gen 3 slide etc (or aftermarket) will work with the zev 'lower'?  zev says they cannot guarantee the two work together.

Yes, the modular build kit will work with any gen 3 slide. I have a full size OZ9 and put my gen 3 34 slide on for USPSA and 3-gun competitions. 

I have about 2k rounds through my OZ9-compact that's in a Roland Special config. It has an RMR, X300U, and their Zev V2 Comp on it. 

It did really good for about 1k rounds, no issues at all, but now I'm getting failure to extracts at least 2 to 3 times PER MAG, sometimes nearly every round. 

I contacted Zev on IG and was told to send an e-mail and I did. Their reply was to check the RMR screws as the right one may be too long and be in the ejector plunger channel.

The first thing I always do when I get a firearm is completely disassemble and inspect it. In the initial inspection I noticed the screw was too long as I couldn't remove the plunger. So I shortened the screw and took this as an opportunity to replace the battery. So in the first 1k rounds there wasn't an issue, now there is and they told me to do something I already did and they should have done before it went out of their door.

In the meantime I have tried different recoil spring weights, different ammo, and running with and without the comp. I am running 115gr FMJ Geco, Blazer Brass, and S&B ammo for general range plinking. All brass cased. I know the comp robs some energy so I bought some 124gr FMJ S&B ammo and 124gr HST Federal ammo for carry. Everything has had failure to eject problems, with all the different ammo, with the stock recoil spring, 18# spring, and 15# spring, with the comp and without the comp. I've cleaned it down to factory new clean, I've ran it slightly oiled and dripping wet with oil. I've tried factory Glock mags, Glock mags with extensions, the Magpul mags it came with. Everything has had some failure to extract issue, some way worse than others. 

I emailed them again yesterday and will hopefully hear back soon. I'm sure they'll want it sent in. I know there's at least two other guys on Instagram I've talked to about this because they ere experiencing the same thing. One of them has his OZ9c back at Zev right now.

I really like this pistol when it works, I was really wanting it to work but I cannot in good conscience carry this thing or even shoot it in a competition until these issues are fixed and even then that will always be in the back of my mind. It's literally the second most unreliable firearm I have ever purchased behind a Mossberg 930SPX  lol, and that's saying a lot. 

Hoping to hear back from Zev soon and I'll try to update here once the situation has been remedied, or not.

My co-worker that had the sheared barrel lugs also had extraction issues.  I never did.  But he bought mine and then started having extraction issues with my old gun.  He's a former Baylor lineman, so you'd think he would over grip the gun, but I've watched him shoot and he actually has a very loose grip.  So I dunno.

crap, every time i'm close, another bad if not horrible review.  @bad karma and others that use the zev frame with a glock or aftermarket  (non-zev) slide, any issues?

i've been tempted to just buy their frame and use a slide/dot i already have, but then if i have problems they most likely will blame the non-zev components and i'll be screwed.  if uspsa would just let me use a 80% lower, i'd most likely just go that route, but a little extra weight seems like a good idea.

On 3/9/2020 at 5:28 PM, davsco said:

crap, every time i'm close, another bad if not horrible review.  @bad karma and others that use the zev frame with a glock or aftermarket  (non-zev) slide, any issues?

i've been tempted to just buy their frame and use a slide/dot i already have, but then if i have problems they most likely will blame the non-zev components and i'll be screwed.  if uspsa would just let me use a 80% lower, i'd most likely just go that route, but a little extra weight seems like a good idea.

Hey davsco, sorry it took me so long to reply. I haven’t experienced any problems with my OZ9 and I’ve probably shot around 6-7k rounds through the gun using 3 different uppers; the OZ slide it came with, a gen 3 Zev slide, and a stock gen 3 g34 slide.

Now I’m not saying you should buy one or not, that’s up to you, but don’t let a few bad reviews sway you if you really want one. I’d be willing to bet a lot of those problems are the Indian and not the arrow. Plus there has to be thousands of OZ9’s out in the wild now with happy owners. 

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I may have found a combo that makes my OZ9c 99% reliable with all ammo but it’s not ideal. 
Zev extractor, Suarez extreme reliability extractor depressor plunger unit, 15# ISMI recoil spring, no comp. As soon as I put the comp on its back to the failure to extracts. I ordered a Suarez extreme reliability extractor but he sent me a Glock 43 extractor instead. Waiting to hear back from him on the solution there.

I have between 2,500 and 3,000 rounds through it now. 

Wormydog, I have also had issues with failures to extract. This is the first time I have seen anyone mention it in all the forums I have searched through.

I have a Zev oz9 lower that I purchased complete from Omaha outdoors. I love it compared to my Glock 17 frame. With the Glock 17 slide, it has functioned flawlessly. I purchased a complete slide with a silencerco barrel from a company I don’t want to mention until I know it isn’t the slide, and it would fail to extract every few rounds if not every round. I removed the silencerco barrel and used the Glock barrel from my 17, and it seems to be working. I do not have enough rounds through to know if it is reliable, but it’s promising so far. Only conclusion I can come to at this point is the tolerances are too tight between all the aftermarket parts, but I honestly do not know and I am hoping my barrel swap is the correct answer. If not, I will be really upset that the zev lower has not worked out. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for the conversation on this. I’m pretty invested in the Sig  P320 Platform but from what I have come across the past few days I feel I would sell all I have to switch over to Zev. It really seems to protect the Glock but have the modulation of the P320. More competition oriented with this firearm but really looking to move over. I know I’m a little late to the game but this has all been pretty helpful. Thanks again and everyone stay safe!

On 3/12/2020 at 10:58 PM, Bad_Karma said:

Hey davsco, sorry it took me so long to reply. I haven’t experienced any problems with my OZ9 and I’ve probably shot around 6-7k rounds through the gun using 3 different uppers; the OZ slide it came with, a gen 3 Zev slide, and a stock gen 3 g34 slide.

Now I’m not saying you should buy one or not, that’s up to you, but don’t let a few bad reviews sway you if you really want one. I’d be willing to bet a lot of those problems are the Indian and not the arrow. Plus there has to be thousands of OZ9’s out in the wild now with happy owners. 

Explain how the Indian causes a barrel lug to shear or cases fail to extract?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2020 at 4:51 PM, RangerTrace said:

Explain how the Indian causes a barrel lug to shear or cases fail to extract?

Crickets on this one. It seems for some these guns are flawless and then for others it’s a hard trial and error to get them right. Do they shoot that much better than a Glock though?

14 hours ago, Posvar said:

Crickets on this one. It seems for some these guns are flawless and then for others it’s a hard trial and error to get them right. Do they shoot that much better than a Glock though?

I must admit that mine shot pretty nice.  I actually shot it better on the 5X5 classifier for Carry OPtics than my STI.  Sadly.....

6 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

I must admit that mine shot pretty nice.  I actually shot it better on the 5X5 classifier for Carry OPtics than my STI.  Sadly.....

That is comforting! The extra weight in the frame must be contributing.