Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ZEV OZ9

RangerTrace

throwing caution into the wind, i ordered the oz9 "lower".  i have a zeroed in armory slide on a 80/100% lower that has been working well, so i'll use that slide/barrel/etc on the zev.  it does seem the upper has been where the problems have been, so hopefully with a good grip angle and heavier frame this will be an improvement over my various glocks.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A reason that I’m not fond of Glocks is that the angle my trigger finger makes downward to get the the trigger causes the bottom of my trigger finger to drag the inside bottom of the trigger guard. With the more 1911 angle of the OZ9 grip, do people find that they have less trigger finger contact with the trigger guard?

• 1 month later...

Mine is still at Zev. It was delivered to them on 4/13 and I've been sending emails every two weeks asking for status updates and all I've received is excuses. "Oh the pandemic" "oh our focus is on the rifles and new pistols now" "oh the gunsmith said he would be working on it this week (that was three weeks ago)" "oh I only answer emails in the order that they're received..." It's been 7.5 weeks and I know of two other guys who are instagram famous that got theirs back within two weeks, probably because they try harder on being more insta-popular and pimp zev every chance they get. I've been pretty cool through this whole thing but I'm straight outta patience. My OZ9C was a turd and their customer service is s#!t. Zev will not be getting anymore of my money. 

that was pretty nice to get a detailed, personalized letter and nice that they replaced and tuned up a lot of stuff.  of course it would be nicer if you didn't need to send it back but i guess stuff happens.

Put over 300 rounds through it tonight. It had one failure to extract on brass cased ammo and failure to extract on 95% of the steel cased. ‘But don’t feed it steel cased’. My 2011, VP9, Glock 19, and MP5 all eat the steel cased ammo. There’s just something not right with this gun. Very disappointed. My Glock 19 is gen 5 so I can’t run the slide on the OZ9 lower but I’m going to buy a gen 3 Glock 19 or maybe just somebody else’s g3 Glock 19 compatible slide and try it. See if it’s the lower or the slide that’s causing these failure to extract issue. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/20/2020 at 9:23 PM, davsco said:

throwing caution into the wind, i ordered the oz9 "lower".  i have a zeroed in armory slide on a 80/100% lower that has been working well, so i'll use that slide/barrel/etc on the zev.  it does seem the upper has been where the problems have been, so hopefully with a good grip angle and heavier frame this will be an improvement over my various glocks.

Same here. Ordered all the parts to put together a new slide. I will be using 0 Zev parts other than the steel OZ9 receiver and polymer grip. Hopefully, I'll have no issues, but will let everyone know when I find out lol

On 6/15/2020 at 11:29 PM, Wormydog1724 said:

Put over 300 rounds through it tonight. It had one failure to extract on brass cased ammo and failure to extract on 95% of the steel cased. ‘But don’t feed it steel cased’. My 2011, VP9, Glock 19, and MP5 all eat the steel cased ammo. There’s just something not right with this gun. Very disappointed. My Glock 19 is gen 5 so I can’t run the slide on the OZ9 lower but I’m going to buy a gen 3 Glock 19 or maybe just somebody else’s g3 Glock 19 compatible slide and try it. See if it’s the lower or the slide that’s causing these failure to extract issue. 

Have you tried an OEM extractor or an aftermarket billet extract, like from LoneWolf, Shadow Systems, or Spinta Precision?

On 7/7/2020 at 6:39 AM, avastcosmicarena said:

Same here. Ordered all the parts to put together a new slide. I will be using 0 Zev parts other than the steel OZ9 receiver and polymer grip. Hopefully, I'll have no issues, but will let everyone know when I find out lol

@avastcosmicarena @davsco

Please keep us updated, I am more than interested in how this works out as with all the reported issues in this thread I am vety hesitant in purchasing an OZ9

• 4 weeks later...

Picked up an OZ9 a couple months ago. The OZ9 is a $1500 glock- actually, worse. I had to replace the Zev extractor with an OEM extractor to get it to function reliably. If you plan to shoot it in Production, then you're screwed on the reloads. There is no way to add a grip plug to the giant gap at the rear of the grip module.

For me, the modular frame was their biggest selling point, but they totally butchered the potential of this platform. On top of that, there are TWO different frame sizes with incompatible grip modules. Why??? Super disappointing...

EDIT: btw, due to these issues I ended up going with a Sig X5 Legion ($900)- best bang for the buck out of the box

Edited by pure59

I wanted an OZ9 but after hearing all the issues think I'm staying away.  Have a few Zev slides using their internals on a few Glocks, never had any issues.  Disappointing for a $1500+ pistol with the Zev brand.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2020 at 9:44 PM, pure59 said:

Picked up an OZ9 a couple months ago. The OZ9 is a $1500 glock- actually, worse. I had to replace the Zev extractor with an OEM extractor to get it to function reliably. If you plan to shoot it in Production, then you're screwed on the reloads. There is no way to add a grip plug to the giant gap at the rear of the grip module.

For me, the modular frame was their biggest selling point, but they totally butchered the potential of this platform. On top of that, there are TWO different frame sizes with incompatible grip modules. Why??? Super disappointing...

EDIT: btw, due to these issues I ended up going with a Sig X5 Legion ($900)- best bang for the buck out of the box

the giant reload impediment was the first thing I noticed when I handled one.  Insane that they didn’t make a decent magwell instead. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I sent mine back to Zev for the second time for the same issue, failure to extract.. It again was experiencing failure-to-extract issues, where the fired case would just remain in the barrel. I again tried to troubleshoot on my own by removing the x300-U, the Zev Comp, the RMR, I changed recoil springs to different weights as well as the extractor and extractor spring/plunger assembly. All to no avail.

Zev was more on the ball this time and had it back to me pretty damn fast. I've put 100 rounds of 115gr 9mm brass ammo through it without issue, just like the first time I got it back. I wonder how many rounds it will last this time?? 101? 105? 250? 10.500?

Their explanation this time was the extractor was 'over-travelling'. I didn't know what that meant and it was explained that the extractor was slipping off of the case during extraction. They 'hand fit' a new extractor and upgraded the plunger and spring. I asked since it was hand fit does that make it compatible with all other Glock parts, being that that is one of the main draws to the OZ9. There answer was a flat no, because it was hand fit, any replacement part would also need to be hand fit. That sucks.

I feel completely duped into buying this turd of handgun. Interchangeability and compatibility with Glock parts was definitely a reason I bought it. And I assumed it would have the same or at least nearly the same reliability as a Glock. This has not been the case and now I'm stuck with a $1,500 single shot Glock-wanna-be-turd. 

Edited by Wormydog1724

In for a OZ9 slide release failure. Thing broke during a match, good going Zev. 

The good news is that the extraction issues have decreased with the use of a Glock OEM extractor. 

ox.jpg

Edited by jtacp
added pic

On 10/16/2020 at 8:39 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

What? Seriously?

You put a finicky gun in the drawer... so that you could switch to something even worse?

STI/Staccato as an upgrade from anything? Sigh.

My STI I had built in 2011 has north of 5k rounds on it, literally all 5k without issue. 

the Staccato P I just bought has about 1,000 on it by me (yes in 2020 with this ‘ammo crisis’) and has had zero, zero malfunctions. Both of my 2011’s even eat the Winchester steel cased ammo that turns the Zev into a single shot. 

Granted the Zev OZ9C was good for a couple thousand rounds so I’ll continue shooting the Staccato P and will see if it has any issues. But calling it worse? Not yet, not even close. 

Shoot more. Type less. 

11 hours ago, Wormydog1724 said:

My STI I had built in 2011 has north of 5k rounds on it, literally all 5k without issue. 

the Staccato P I just bought has about 1,000 on it by me and has had zero, zero malfunctions.

Shoot more. Type less. 

You only have 6,000 rounds through them? Definitey shoot more, and type less. :D 

Most of the guys around here soured on STI because they won’t hold up longterm. Your guns are barely broken in. 5,000 rounds is just a few months of ownership for someone shooting competitively and practicing hard: 20-50k per year is not uncommon.

That is why STI fled this market, and began selling as Staccato to people who shoot less.