Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ZEV OZ9

RangerTrace

On 1/15/2021 at 8:19 PM, max1337 said:

Hi guys, 

I think I should jump in and give you a good idea of what happened to the Zev OZ9 from start to where it's at right now, and that should clarify a lot of things and hopefully help you make a good decision or fix your current issues. 

I am a competitive shooter and i've been sponsored by Zev and shooting the OZ9's since the very beginning. In fact, I have the first batch that Zev ever produced, with all 3 of my guns serial number below 00100. I have over 130 000 rounds with the guns, so trust me, I've had probably all of the possible issues you could imagine or already had. Gun firing full auto or bursts, barrel lug sheared off, broken slide stop, broken slide post, failure to extract/eject, magazines (10 rounders) won't drop, etc etc. The good thing is, Zev have been very receptive and listened to the issues and fixed them very quickly. 

Here are the most common issues and fixes ;

- Gun firing auto/burst ; Zev Recall, they will replace your trigger bar/parts. It works very well, no issues anymore

- Extraction/Ejection issues ; Zev replaced the extractor for the new "enhanced extractor" with the new longer extractor plunger and spring. Look for the Zev // hashmarks on the new extractor. Also, I recommend you install a Glock Gen 4/5 Ejector (on the trigger housing)

- Barrel lug shearing off ; Zev have redesigned the barrel lug, new metal, new rifling. This one is in the mail and will have it next Wednesday and I can update you guys if interested. 

- Broken slide stop ; Zev are now making their slide stop in-house and the issue is fixed. I recommend you install a Glock Gen 3 slide stop if you have one. 

- Magazines won't drop ; Zev have replaced their magazine release for a new design that is narrower and will drop 10 round magazines no issues. 

Is this a pain in the ass ? Yes. Did Zev release the Zev OZ9 too early ? Probably. Did they work hard to fix all the issues ? f*#k yes. Remember that Sig had to recall all their P320 models because of the Firing Control Unit safety issues. It is not uncommon for a new firearm to face issues, the most important is that they do something about it, quickly. 

I have all the above fixes on my guns, all 3 of them, and I haven't had one malfunction in over 60 000 rounds. The most important thing for me as a traveling competition shooter and instructor is reliability, and I can say that now I can trust my guns to perform and function flawlessly regardless of what ammo I am shooting. 

This is my build for all 3 of my OZ9 for IPSC/USPSA Competitions ;

- Johnny Glocks Hybrid trigger w/flat shoe. (Reason for Johnny Glocks is I can adjust the reset to a very short one and glass break)

- Johnny Glocks Striker

- Johnny Glocks safety plunger

- Johnny Glocks safety plunger spring

- Johnny Glocks trigger return spring

- Johnny Glocks 4.5# striker spring (or Wolff)

- Zev ISMI 13# recoil spring

- Zev polymer red striker cups

- Zev polymer red channel liner

- Zev polymer red striker sleeve

- Zev polymer red extractor plunger pin

- Zev enhanced extractor

- Zev enhanced extractor plunger/spring

- Zev Optimized match barrel

- Zev Tungsten grip (coming soon, it is incredibly perfectly balanced, recoil is ridiculously flat)
- Gen 3 slide stop

- Gen 4 ejector

- Trijicon SRO 5 MOA

- #4-40 x 5/16 Torx plus flat head screws

- Glock 17 Gen 5 magazines

- Wolff +10% magazine spring

- Henning EDC PRO basepads

I hope this helps,

Max Latulippe

I have JG on all my glocks, i switched my 19 JG in my oz9 compact hypercomp and it doesnt feel the same when it was in my glock?? Its weird. 

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zev posted in the PF oz9 thread. There were some interesting bits of info (sheered lugs, 920 comparison, stacking tolerances) so cross posting for folks subscribed here.

Hey there @Tokarev. I hope youÂ’re doing well. This thread was brought to our attention recently and we wanted to take some time to answer all of your questions. First we make about 25k firearms a year including OEM for top brands like SOLGW, Triarc, FNH and Hodge. There are more that we canÂ’t publicly discuss, but they are tier 1 brands you would know.

Extractor issues have been solved but our firearms do require a break in. The tolerances are purposely set high so when the firearm is broken in they are within the allowable variance. Most manufacturers set tolerances loose and it gets out of spec from there.

Barrel Lug sheer: this came from the forged receiver. In a plastic frame, the vibration and impact has a place to go. In a steel frame itÂ’s a solid impact. To solve this we have modified the lugs slightly for space.

Cost: we have released the price point driven OZ9 duty. But weÂ’re not a price point brand. To help consumers get into the brand we created a gun with a path to upgrade. Mag wells, optics mounting, and higher end barrels are all part of that path if one chooses to do so.

The DOE OST Contract: these are built on our new V2 platform which utilizes Gen 5 type parts. It is not the current Combat model being sold. New V2 models will be available around April this year once we get more of the contract guns out the door.

OZ9 V2: we have eliminated the standard OZ9 but will still be supporting it indefinitely as we do not intend to quit making gen 3 parts.

The OZ9 V2 is based upon the Compact platform, three sizes of slides will be offered for the Elites while the Combat will get 19/17 length slides. Two sizes of grips, short and X grip will be offered for both families of pistols. Combat guns will only be offered in FDE.

Shadow Systems: this is an apples to oranges comparison. Outside of the FCG our guns are quite different. Quite a few problems end users have is when they try to improve on the OZ9 platform by installing non ZEV parts. What happens here are a stacking of tolerances. We have tight tolerances to begin with and when you stack them either against poorly made parts or out of spec aftermarket parts, function issues arise.

For more info or questions please contact info@zevtech.com For updates on product releases or in depth discussion please sign up for our newsletter or join our official FB group https://www.facebook.com/groups/6791...are_group_link
This is where we have technical experts who can answer questions and concerns as we do not monitor this group. We also offer deals and special sale to that group.

OP: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?42048-The-Current-State-of-the-ZEV-OZ9&p=1464005&viewfull=1#post1464005

• 7 months later...

Without a link to what you are reading, I cannot tell you if you are reading that correctly.  

All the gun guy sites I follow show nothing on this topic.  

SHOT Show is 1/23/24 maybe some can verify or dispute it there.

FWIW, ZEV has been touting their rifle capabilities of late.

Ooops thank you - sorry.  That linked post is confusing AF so I see where you are coming from.

OZ9 V2: we have eliminated the standard OZ9 but will still be supporting it indefinitely as we do not intend to quit making gen 3 parts.

The OZ9 V2 is based upon the Compact platform,...  . Two sizes of grips, short and X grip will be offered for both families of pistols

I will reach out to them on the FB group for clarification.