Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ZEV OZ9

RangerTrace

I've been a ZEV fan for a number of years and have had good luck with their slides and triggers.  Yesterday, I made an impulse buy of one of the new all ZEV OZ9 pistols.  Mainly for one of my duty guns.  I've only got 210 rounds through this thing so far, but I'm pretty impressed.  The finish work on the metal parts is top notch.  They have  bridged the gap between the Glock and the Sig P320 with a polymer grip module and steel frame/trigger housing with longer frame rails.  I think the longer rails will add some mechanical accuracy and the weight on the front of the gun definitely helps with muzzle flip and recoil impulse.

I have no idea what division this pistol qualifies for in USPSA or IDPA, but it's a pretty cool design and is fun to shoot.  The price point is about $500 less than Glock pistols that have been ZEV'd out in the same gun shop.  

I plan to add an RMR to mine and continue to use it for a duty gun when I don't want to scratch my CCG 1911.    

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

IMG_4904.JPG

Is that grip  a little more 1911?

And the trigger guard looks bigger than standard glock,  is it? And if so, does it help eliminate glock knuckle, or was that an issue for you on a standard glock? 

Trigger guard is a little different than Glock and is causing a little issue on some of my Safariland holsters.  I've never experienced Glock knuckle, but this has an undercut on the trigger guard.  

Yes the grip angle is more 1911 than Glock.

Hello: Does it take Glock mags or something else? As for what division it would be Limited, Limited 10 and open until they put it on the Production list for Production and Carry Optics. Looks nice. I would still put scratches on your 1911 though. Thanks, Eric

• 3 weeks later...

Jost got one. It is the GLOCK perfected. The chassis adds weight in all the RIGHT places and addresses what I think is important but may not matter to many. My carry guns are all RMR'd Glocks with TLR8s. The laser on said TLR-8 is a tertiary aiming device for use in extremis and odd shooting positions.  Problem being on a polymer framed glock the laser mounted to the plastic rail is not exactly precise. It can be shifted fairly significantly with pressure. The forward part of the steel chassis on the OZ9 adds good weight up front and a solid platform for rail mounted light laser combos.

In other news it has an extended slide stop. Whoopy you say? Well that slide stop is protected by a raised part on the frame which prevents you from keeping the slide from locking to the rear on the last round because you grip the gun properly with the thumbs forward grip and roll your support hand into the gun. How many Glock shooters have that problem? Now you have the benefit of an extended mag release with out the negative.

The RMR cut is much lower in the slide. NO NEED FOR Suppressor height sights. The ones that come on the gun work perfectly. This is really wonderful.

The grip texturing is actually effective and no stippling is required.

The grip angle is perfect....it doesn't point high like a standard Glock or low like a Sig P320. It points very true.

Takes any Gen 3 slide if you are into that...and has a wonderful more Gen 4ish mag release.

Some think it's over priced... I beg to differ. Buy a Glock, RMR it, mill the slide with front cocking serrations and the optic cut, windows etc....., Even worse buy a more expensive after market slide, then upgrade the trigger, sights, add a magwell and don't forget that custom grip work and stippling.....YOU WILL spend more money than this gun costs. 

I'm excited for the release of the compact grip frame and am already contemplating buying another. Now hurry up and get it on the approved list for production/Carry optics!!!! 

Jost got one. It is the GLOCK perfected. The chassis adds weight in all the RIGHT places and addresses what I think is important but may not matter to many. My carry guns are all RMR'd Glocks with TLR8s. The laser on said TLR-8 is a tertiary aiming device for use in extremis and odd shooting positions.  Problem being on a polymer framed glock the laser mounted to the plastic rail is not exactly precise. It can be shifted fairly significantly with pressure. The forward part of the steel chassis on the OZ9 adds good weight up front and a solid platform for rail mounted light laser combos.

In other news it has an extended slide stop. Whoopy you say? Well that slide stop is protected by a raised part on the frame which prevents you from keeping the slide from locking to the rear on the last round because you grip the gun properly with the thumbs forward grip and roll your support hand into the gun. How many Glock shooters have that problem? Now you have the benefit of an extended mag release with out the negative.

The RMR cut is much lower in the slide. NO NEED FOR Suppressor height sights. The ones that come on the gun work perfectly. This is really wonderful.
The grip texturing is actually effective and no stippling is required.
The grip angle is perfect....it doesn't point high like a standard Glock or low like a Sig P320. It points very true.
Takes any Gen 3 slide if you are into that...and has a wonderful more Gen 4ish mag release.

Some think it's over priced... I beg to differ. Buy a Glock, RMR it, mill the slide with front cocking serrations and the optic cut, windows etc....., Even worse buy a more expensive after market slide, then upgrade the trigger, sights, add a magwell and don't forget that custom grip work and stippling.....YOU WILL spend more money than this gun costs. 

I'm excited for the release of the compact grip frame and am already contemplating buying another. Now hurry up and get it on the approved list for production/Carry optics!!!! 

I’ll own one of these soon. I was between this and a custom p10c and went with the p10. I just shoot it so well compared to my Glock’s and other guns. I ordered a sweet p10 from primary machine and like that it’s smaller for iwb carry. What made me decide on this was that I was told that gun is more set up for “competition “ and not concealed carry. Opinion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes set up more for competition based on the internals. It also has a very nice Fiber Optic sight set up. All my carry guns rock stock OEM internals. This is the ZEV trigger, lightened striker, steel guid rod etc.... What I don't know is what the spring weights are and have been meaning to call ZEV to find out. Not listed in the manual. My plan is to run one in carry optics and adapt one to a carry gun. The beauty is you can put what ever Glock internals you want or even put a different Gen 3 slide on it and retain all the good features.

I also just ordered two more grips at a whopping 56 bucks each from Midway to play with and see if I can cut one to a G19 length grip instead of waiting on ZEV.  Boresight Solutions has performed this service on two Glock 17s I have now. 

On 3/1/2019 at 5:47 AM, Fitzghan said:

Boresight Solutions has performed this service on two Glock 17s I have now. 

Ben's great. He's done grip reductions on at least three of my Glocks. But this Zev is on my list. Is there just one take down pin?

11 hours ago, lgh said:

Ben's great. He's done grip reductions on at least three of my Glocks. But this Zev is on my list. Is there just one take down pin?

That is correct one take down pin. The other two pins on the standard three pin Glock are internal and hold the trigger group into the chassis. The chassis system comes out of the frame very similar to a Sig P320 although it's much more robust and in my opinion a better design. 

Ben is the man. He did two for me back in 2010 and one of his newer models with the Razor back option a few years ago. I have another G19 down there now. His stipling is top notch and the grip reduction with razor back points perfectly and is amazing under recoil. I like consistency in the way a gun handles and points. The OZ9 points very true and just like my razor backed Glocks which I like.  I find consistency in presentation is even more important when running a dot.

I went to the Zev website and I see they are back ordered but I couldn't see how long the wait is. Does anyone know? OTW I'll call them on Monday and post.

I will definetly be getting one of these. And I agree about the price. It is expensive but, for me, by the time I change the sights and trigger, mill the slide, get a frame reduction, and do the other odds and ends I do to Glocks, they are over $1k. And with the Zev you get even more than I would with my re-worked $1K Glocks. I am in for one.

Ben at Boresight Solutions discounts if you train (combat/defensive) seriously. He and I, at different times, trained at Southern Exposure. SE is very highly recommended.  Randy Cain, Steve Tarani, Scott Reitz, Pat Rogers, etc. have all been instructors there. Don't want to hijack this thread so I'll stop here.

On 3/3/2019 at 6:48 AM, lgh said:

I went to the Zev website and I see they are back ordered but I couldn't see how long the wait is. Does anyone know? OTW I'll call them on Monday and post. 

I just talked with Zev. Backorders will ship the first or second week of April.

14 hours ago, hlpressley said:

If I knew it would alleviate my Glock slide bit issues, I’d buy one in a second! 

Yeah, that Zev has one heckuva beavertail!

Did you check with some of the folks who do frame mods to see if they can solve that issue for you? Lots of companies do the mods.

6 minutes ago, lgh said:

Yeah, that Zev has one heckuva beavertail!

Did you check with some of the folks who do frame mods to see if they can solve that issue for you? Lots of companies do the mods.

I haven’t, mainly because I don’t think those mods would be legal in Production, therefore also not legal in CO, which is my division of choice. 

Edited by hlpressley