Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ZEV OZ9

RangerTrace

Fun fact when you register your OZ9 for warranty you get a 25% discount code with ZEV good for a year on any ZEV product. I ordered another OZ9 with the bronze barrel it was 1289 shipped and supposed to go out next week I think.  Loving the modularity of this thing.  Here is the configuration  I'm currently carrying. The ability to swap frames and slides is awesome.

Spent some time on phone with ZEV.  Recoil spring is 17lbs, Striker spring is 5lbs, Connector is 3.5lb, Trigger spring is xtra power, and saftey plunger spring is lightened. According to ZEV all rated for carry applications but I'm rocking the Suarez slide with all stock internals for that anyway. Short grip (G19 length) should be available 3rd quarter 2019. Should sell just the chassis by next year (no word on pricing). 

It fits fine in any Glock Holster with a light mount since the retention is on the light. My TLR-8 Holster and PL-Mini Holster both work. It also fits just fine without the light in my Safariland 3 gun holster and my USPSA holster.

IMG_1391.jpg

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also worth mentioning I won my first one from The BM Revolution and they have a second one up now.  Link below. Buy as many spots as you like despite the fact is says "one per". Trust me I've won several guns on there. 47 bucks a spot and limited to 39 viewers.  You can also win spots to the Main giveaway via the bloopers. Fair warning it can be addictive but winning that and getting 25% of another one was pretty awesome. Two for less than the price of one.  Happy hunting. Like them on FB and they often run discount codes as well....again....can be addicting. Don't say I didn't warn you. 

https://thebmrevolution.net/collections/webinars/products/zev-technologies-oz9-9mm-package-webinar

On 3/7/2019 at 5:36 PM, Fitzghan said:

Also worth mentioning I won my first one from The BM Revolution and they have a second one up now.  Link below. Buy as many spots as you like despite the fact is says "one per". Trust me I've won several guns on there. 47 bucks a spot and limited to 39 viewers.  You can also win spots to the Main giveaway via the bloopers. Fair warning it can be addictive but winning that and getting 25% of another one was pretty awesome. Two for less than the price of one.  Happy hunting. Like them on FB and they often run discount codes as well....again....can be addicting. Don't say I didn't warn you. 

https://thebmrevolution.net/collections/webinars/products/zev-technologies-oz9-9mm-package-webinar

So this is gambling... with guns? 

And your post sounds like a straight-up advertisement for the place. What are the chances you're affiliated with them and are astroturfing? 

Edited by Xanatos903

1 hour ago, Xanatos903 said:

So this is gambling... with guns? 

And your post sounds like a straight-up advertisement for the place. What are the chances you're affiliated with them and are astroturfing? 

I'm a retired Marine and current Airline Pilot for one of the largest US carriers sooooooo....absolutely zero.  Pardon me for introducing fellow gun enthusiasts and competitors to something fun that I've benefited from. Been here a few years longer than you my friend. In fact I took a 5 year hiatus from  competition and recently returned.....super suspect.  And I suppose yes...gambling with guns. My neighbor and I have good fun with it.

Also their site is a mess right now..... they used shopify and got reported? Apparently shopify is anti-gun? They started a new one but lots of glitches. 

Edited by Fitzghan

On 2/27/2019 at 5:06 PM, Aircooled6racer said:

USPSA approved for Carry Optics!

On 2/27/2019 at 5:06 PM, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Looks pretty good to me. I wonder if they have submitted it to the Production list for USPSA? The magwell would have to come off for Production and Carry Optics but looks like a good option for gun games. Thanks, Eric

On 2/28/2019 at 7:20 PM, Fitzghan said:

Jost got one. It is the GLOCK perfected. The chassis adds weight in all the RIGHT places and addresses what I think is important but may not matter to many. My carry guns are all RMR'd Glocks with TLR8s. The laser on said TLR-8 is a tertiary aiming device for use in extremis and odd shooting positions.  Problem being on a polymer framed glock the laser mounted to the plastic rail is not exactly precise. It can be shifted fairly significantly with pressure. The forward part of the steel chassis on the OZ9 adds good weight up front and a solid platform for rail mounted light laser combos.

In other news it has an extended slide stop. Whoopy you say? Well that slide stop is protected by a raised part on the frame which prevents you from keeping the slide from locking to the rear on the last round because you grip the gun properly with the thumbs forward grip and roll your support hand into the gun. How many Glock shooters have that problem? Now you have the benefit of an extended mag release with out the negative.

The RMR cut is much lower in the slide. NO NEED FOR Suppressor height sights. The ones that come on the gun work perfectly. This is really wonderful.

The grip texturing is actually effective and no stippling is required.

The grip angle is perfect....it doesn't point high like a standard Glock or low like a Sig P320. It points very true.

Takes any Gen 3 slide if you are into that...and has a wonderful more Gen 4ish mag release.

Some think it's over priced... I beg to differ. Buy a Glock, RMR it, mill the slide with front cocking serrations and the optic cut, windows etc....., Even worse buy a more expensive after market slide, then upgrade the trigger, sights, add a magwell and don't forget that custom grip work and stippling.....YOU WILL spend more money than this gun costs. 

I'm excited for the release of the compact grip frame and am already contemplating buying another. Now hurry up and get it on the approved list for production/Carry optics!!!! 

It is approved for Carry Optics.   

Edited by MattZev

Hello: So is the longer slide model not legal or is it legal since you can use any slide that fits on it? With the magwell? Very confusing. I think it should be legal with the magwell as long as it makes weight. Kinda like Minor Open with short magazines. 😛 Thanks, Eric

I don't think it is legal with the magwell. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

I got to handle one of these today at the local gun store and it felt REALLY good. I am thinking of picking one up for carry optics and as my carry gun soon. Hopefully some time this year.

11 hours ago, lgh said:

Fitzghan - Any more comments on how it is shooting/handling? I will be ordering one in a couple of weeks.

Shoots and handles great. I'm a big fan and will be using the platform for USPSA and as my new primary carry gun. It's replacing my Boresight Solutions Glock as my primary carry and I've carried one Boresight Glock or another everyday since 2010. Over 2k rounds through it now and I love it. Should be obvious by now I'm a huge fan.

I also wish they'd allow Magwells in Carry Optics. Many firearms starting to come with them that fit well in the carry optics category.....ZEV, Canik TP9SF Combat Elite, Sig P320 X5 etc. Still very different than Open in my opinion. No 2011s, no comps, no gas pedals, no frame mounted non reciprocating dots, no Major power factor.

We need some more videos of this thing shooting so we can get a sense for how the steel receiver affects recoil/muzzle flip.

In particular, I'm interested in how it compares to the new ZRO Delta Modulus (used to be called Genesis Z9), since that is a very similar concept but all billet aluminum.

• 2 weeks later...

The OZ9 looks awesome but it is way overpriced..  When you can get an M&P 2.0  5"barrel, put dawson sights and a apex FSS trigger you've got an awesome gun for 800 bucks total..

There's no way a ZEV trigger is going to be better than the Apex FSS trigger..  They need to sell the OZ9  for like 1199.00 

Edited by bigtimelarry

I just picked an OZ9 up yesterday. I don’t necessarily agree that 1600 is overpriced for what you get.  I was fortunate enough to pick one up from my dealer for 1400. I personally think 1400 is a Great price. On top of the case (which i could care less about) they include a few small but usually overlooked items. Such as an rmr sealing plate, extra green/red fiber, and two extra striker springs so you can adjust the trigger feel and weight. It a pretty small but nice thought be ZEV. The main feature that interested me in the OZ9 was the Frame/Grip. I love Glocks but I hate the Grip angle and hump, with the OZ9 you get a more  vertical grip, for me I noticed during dry fire I didn’t have to rotate my wrist as much to bring the nose of the gun down. That feature along with the ability to swap grips for $60  is what made the 1400 worth it to me. I have an agency arms frame that i have been using for a year now and the stippling is as smooth as velvet now, I can’t sale it to recoup the 800 I spent on it the only thing I can do is try to stipple it myself to give it some life. With Zevs new frame that’s not an issue I can buy a new frame once a year if need be or buy a few to practice stippling on. The slide cut on the OZ9 is really nice too they actually included the RMR bosses in the optic cut. I am be no means a ZEV fan boy I actually have never liked any of their other products and thought they were overpriced for what you got. At 1600-1700 for the OZ9 you're actually getting a lot for your money you are basically getting a completely custom "Glock" with a heavy duty case, spare parts, mag, and the new frame/receiver (which am sure cost a ton in R&D). If agency or salient released something like this it would be way north of 2K and nearly all of their customs glocks are. I think most people could care less about all the swag you get with the OZ9 and I would like to see ZEV release a model that is just the gun and mags. I personally think that would reduce the cost enough to get more people interested. I will be shooting mine tonight in a uspsa outlaw match I'll report back with my opinion tomorrow. 

The current model appear to only be RMR which also allows the Holosun 507c, same footprint. The longslide version coming I think will come with the bushnell optic. I'm waiting until they release the frame kits later this year. 

For those of you curious about holsters.  There are some minor differences in the trigger guard dimensions.  As previously stated, if the holster locks onto the weapon light you may be OK.  But with Safariland ALS style holsters, I'm having some minor fit issues.  I think the thickness of the trigger guard is pushing the (very sharp) front sight up/into the ALS mechanism.  I will likely take a dremel to the trigger guard at some point......

Can anyone comment on their subjective idea regarding recoil characteristics?

Im super curious about how this feels compared to say a G17.5 which has noticeably softer recoil than a G17.4.

I really want to love this gun.  I handled one in a gun store and instantly lusted over it.  At retail, its too expensive for me but with my LEO discount, the pricing is a little more in line with what I would be comfortable spending.  Having said that, its still a very expensive Glock which kills me inside as a Glock is a Glock is a Glock to me.