Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ZEV OZ9

RangerTrace

3 hours ago, uhmeebuh said:

Yes - I have an MR918 as well but I don’t notice a huge difference between them.  Now that my OZ9c is a Roland special, it definitely shoots softer.  

I view the MR918 as my carry 19 where as the Zev is my home defense pistol.  

I do tend to shoot the Zev more due to the comp and better trigger with the fulcrum installed...

With the thin/straight backstrap, does the MR918 feel like a similar grip angle vs the OZ9? (more 1911-ish)

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, avastcosmicarena said:

With the thin/straight backstrap, does the MR918 feel like a similar grip angle vs the OZ9? (more 1911-ish)

Yup!  It’s why I have them both - I’m not a fan of the glock grip angle but love a lot about the glock platform.   This is the best of both worlds and I think it’s money well spent (I’ve spent about as much on some franken-glock builds) that weren’t as cohesive.  

On 12/24/2019 at 7:45 PM, uhmeebuh said:

Yup!  It’s why I have them both - I’m not a fan of the glock grip angle but love a lot about the glock platform.   This is the best of both worlds and I think it’s money well spent (I’ve spent about as much on some franken-glock builds) that weren’t as cohesive.  

Cool, I'll think about getting an MR918. I'm not particularly partial to glocks, but I have an AR9 competition PCC and a short barrel AR9 pistol (just a general PDW sort of gun) that both take glock mags, and it would be really nice to have at least one handgun that could use the same mags since I already have so many glock mags.

Edited by avastcosmicarena

18 hours ago, avastcosmicarena said:

Cool, I'll think about getting an MR918. I'm not particularly partial to glocks, but I have an AR9 competition PCC and a short barrel AR9 pistol (just a general PDW sort of gun) that both take glock mags, and it would be really nice to have at least one handgun that could use the same mags since I already have so many glock mags.

Something to consider with the OZ9 is the various parts and grips available from Zev to make a g34 comped gun or a carry g19.  Shadow Systems doesn’t have much in the way of other MR918 parts (but they do have great CS). 

On 12/23/2019 at 11:24 AM, Posvar said:

Me too. The black competition version with bronze barrel is what I would get. A local has the standard OZ9 with over 4K on it and not one malfunction. Perhaps they have sorted out the issues now. I reached out to KC with a couple questions a few days ago and will update if he responds. 

With the G34 length slide? I'm still pondering it over... they look like they shoot well, but all of the reliability issues I've heard about worry me a bit...

2 hours ago, avastcosmicarena said:

With the G34 length slide? I'm still pondering it over... they look like they shoot well, but all of the reliability issues I've heard about worry me a bit...

Yes. 34 length slide. 

8 hours ago, scduckman03 said:

Not sure is this is good enough for you to see what you were looking for or not..just let me know if you want a picture of something else. Quality of picture sucks due to having to make it so small to post it. 

I couldn't make the image very large, but it appears your barrel hood is contacting the underneath of the slide like ours were.  I don't think that is good....

20 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

I couldn't make the image very large, but it appears your barrel hood is contacting the underneath of the slide like ours were.  I don't think that is good....

I am not sure. Wouldn’t this be covered under warranty if it breaks? 

I have a ZEV-ish OZ9.  

I purchased the frame and grip from ZEV.  I used their pins and small parts.  Trigger is an Apex purple.  Current top end is stock Glock17/3.  I do have another top end on order.  I don't particularly like the styling of the ZEV stuff(hence why I'm not using it, It's a bit too fancy for me. 

I have a holster from GX on the way.

This is my main match pistol.  

I don't have enough rounds thru the gun to say anything relevant about reliability, however I really like shooting it.  I've got about 500 through it with no issues.  That, to me, isn't enough.  Once I double that I'll have a better feeling about the reliability aspect of the pistol.  

It is accurate enough for my current needs (local matches) and is very comfortable to shoot, for me.  The grip is nice but I am going to ditch the one finger groove sooner than later and stipple the grip.  The frame definitely seems to mitigate recoil a touch better than a stock pistol, which it should being a bit heavier.  All in all, I'm very happy with the pistol even in it's current form.  Once I get the new top end tuned up and painted I'll report back.  

On 12/21/2019 at 11:49 PM, RangerTrace said:

So, me and a co-worker bought these as work guns.  While mine never malfunction (once the defective flat trigger was replaced) it was wearing in places that it should not have.  My co-workers pistol had continual issues with ejection and sheared off the lower barrel lugs on two difference ZEV barrels.  We sold out and won't be going back.

Did zev fix his  pistol under warranty? Just curious if I have issues if they will be covered. 

7 hours ago, scduckman03 said:

Did zev fix his  pistol under warranty? Just curious if I have issues if they will be covered. 

They replaced my co-workers entire pistol after the 2nd barrel lug sheared off.  I sold mine before anything catastrophic happened.  With my current discount, I can by an STI Stacatto for what an OZ9 costs.....

2 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

They replaced my co-workers entire pistol after the 2nd barrel lug sheared off.  I sold mine before anything catastrophic happened.  With my current discount, I can by an STI Stacatto for what an OZ9 costs.....

Well that’s at least good to know. I hope mine doesn’t have any problems but at least they will fix it if i do. 

20 hours ago, scduckman03 said:

Shot my OZ9 in my first carry optics match today. Had malfunctions on 2 of 6 stages. Not sure if it’s the magazines or the pistol. Gonna clean pistol and mags and run it hard and see what happens. 

Ugh. FTF or FTE or what were the issues?

My OZ9 has been great.  Currently have around 3k threw it and beside 1 bad 21 round Magpul mag.  It has had no malfunctions.  I did have one of the recall guns that i sent back to ZEV for the trigger replacement.  While it was there they replaced all firing components and installed a new slide.  They paid shipping both ways and the gun was back to me in under 7 days.