Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why the Open Glock hate?

Adrenaline

Before I went from limited to open with my Glock I shot a couple 2011s and a czechmate. Now when I first built the gun I was very weary of shooting 9mm major out of a poly pistol.  I found 7.8 gr of hs6 loaded to 1.1540 with a 124gr FMJ from Everglades to run and shoot just as if not more comfortable than any of the steel pistols.  This has been my first time using a dot on a pistol but after 1 session I have gotten quite used to it. I'll be practicing again tomorrow. I think part of it is a thing where people see a lot of peeps winning with (x) pistol so they think thats the one and only ticket.  I'm not a glock fan boy but appreciate them very much. In my opinion if you set a glock up correctly for 9mm major especially use a Kkm barrel and good comp and PRACTICE. I think you can be very competitive. I'm putting it to the test! 

Anyways I love my new open Glock 17. Counting all ports on the carver 4 port it's actually a 10 port. With the right recoil spring and comp 9mm major in a glock very gentle on the gun. I'm pretty sure a stock glock shooting Winchester white box has more slide to frame contact than a 9mm major glock wet up properly. 

15489055373761392597089.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think most people don't hate  open glocks and  many would shoot them if they were reliable over the longrun shooting major, but that seems to be the catch. While glock's rep was built in reliability,  open glocks, major 9, and reliability  generally don't seem to go hand in hand.  If yours is working though, that is great, and i hope it continues to do so for you.  If it works and you like it, that is all that matters.  Keep rolling and having fun

If my life’s on the line, I’d rather have no other stock gun than my Glocks....its much like 90’s Toyota or Honda Accord, they just work.

however, when you try to twin turbo an accord, you can make it work but you’re going to be pushing the design to the ragged edge just to break into the low end of capability of the predominant 2011/1911 design.

its like when you first get your license and you want to sup out your first car, you spend a bunch of money doing it and then you go race it.  You will probably fair pretty well until the minute you drive an actual race car and then you’ll feel like you wasted a bunch of money and effort on a lost cause.

glocks are great, they’re just mediocre at best in open division

I ran an open Glock for a while, it was 100% reliable. I had the sand carver 4 port, it’s defintiely an effective comp. But all my pins would walk out after like 2 mags. My trigger pin would literally be 2/3rds the way out because of how violent 9 major is. I thought my Glock shot flat, until I shot a 2011 open gun. Now the Glock feels like a grenade in my hand. 

My load was also hs-6 and a 124, approx 7.5g with a 124g blue bullet, I was shooting a g34, so I had another inch on the barrel for velocity. And we were using the same comp, so I bet I know exactly how that load feels. It really works they comp. Open glocks work, mine just ran and ran. There’s nothing wrong with them if that’s what you got. Being that they’re so light is where I think it’s not an optimal platform. The heavier metal frame 2011s really tame 9 major. But if you like it, keep shooting it. I still have mine for backup. 

You didn't ask, but I'd suggest ditching the FMJ bullets and use JHP's or CMJ's.     :surprise:

Eventually, the FMJ's will lead up your comp.     ☠️

And secondly, I don't shoot Glocks, but there was a posting here couple weeks

ago, with what looked like a Great Glock Open - weighed about 42 ounces - and

looked like what I would put together for Open, if all I had was a Glock.     :cheers:

Good luck, and welcome to OPEN.    :)  

2 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

Might be fun to make an Open 17 but for Minor PF in Steel Challenge or 3gun...if I have some money to burn one day maybe...

I have one I built for GSSF and Steel Challenge, fairly inexpensive and super easy to feed!

You can make Glock open guns run, but the biggest drawback is the weight and it makes the recoil much more than a heavier steel open design.

If you primarily shoot steel challenge, I think it’s great shooting minor with a Glock as with lighter weight I could draw faster and swing transitions faster. For uspsa steel gun is way to go for better follow up shots. 

I had an open Glock I thought I could make run long term too. I got about 15K into it flawless... then nothing but issues. Tried to swap parts over the next 10K and ended up selling it.

It was an SJC full build too. Still didn't matter.

1 hour ago, Adrenaline said:

I am very suprised to hear about reliability. I've practiced over 4000 rounds so far and havent had 1 malfunction at all. 171 to 174 pf depends on if I'm shooting the 7.7 gr or 7.8 grain load. 15 lb recoil spring, Carver comp. Wolff guide rod..bad ass johnny glock trigger..and everything else you see. 100% reliable.

That's a good month.  Keep going.

7 minutes ago, theWacoKid said:

Haha, my last build (May 2018) is on slide #2 and still in the white.

The slide before my current, I finally decided to coat it and when I blasted it, I found the guiderod tunnel was cracked. 

I shot an Open Bobby Carver built major 17 for a couple of years in 3-gun and USPSA. Shot hot minor loads in 3-gun & major in USPSA. My load was about the same as yours. Never really had a lot of malfunctions just everything came loose even with red loctite. Was constantly re-tightening the screw pins. I could tell when they loosened cause the C-More would start to shift POI. Gun ran great. Sold it and went to an STI open DVC. 

My buddy shoots basically the same open 17 setup now. His is home built. He runs lots of major rounds thru it. I think he is on his 3rd or 4th slide. Gun does run very reliably. But for long term major I would go with a 2011. Now for minor steel or 3-gun they are great.

gerritm

2 hours ago, theWacoKid said:

Haha, my last build (May 2018) is on slide #2 and still in the white.

2 hours ago, drewbeck said:

The slide before my current, I finally decided to coat it and when I blasted it, I found the guiderod tunnel was cracked. 

those are with ('reliable') 2011's?

The gun still ran fine actually which was weird.

i don’t consider a catastrophic failure of a part to be a “reliability” issue.  To me reliability means how it’s works all of the time until it’s thru it’s useful life. 

On a shorty super light slide with a light 6lb recoil spring and a light mainspring, I’m pushing the limits of what that slide was capable of taking from an abuse standpoint. After 40-50k rounds that slide cracking is acceptable to me because a $200 part to replace is insignificant to the rest of the costs.

the difference is that I can put a new slide on and that gun is basically “new” again, whereas after that many open rounds out of a Glock, you’ve likely pushed the frame, and nearly every part of the gun past it’s useful life with that amount of sustained bashing.

Glocks can work, I’m not saying they can’t, I’m just saying they are not a realistic long term solution for someone that is going to shoot open with them a lot.