Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why the Open Glock hate?

Adrenaline

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trying to make an OPEN Major gun out of a Glock reminds me of the early days (the 80's and 90's),

when people tried to make a Major Open gun out of a Browning Hi-Power because of the 13-round

mags.

They could do it, but they wouldn't last - metal was too soft and they didn't last long.   Just the wrong

gun.

That's why CZ's and 2011's are The Gun to use, now.    :) 

The Glock design for open is an inferior design relative to the 2011 in every aspect except the ability for a guy to DIY an “open” gun inexpensively. Which isn’t a bad thing.

i assure you if Gaston had set out to design a gun that would be used to compete in an open pistol division, he would have designed something completely different than the “Glock”.

you asked why the hate for Glocks and the truth is there isn’t hate there just isn’t much love for them because there is a significantly better albeit more expensive option.

just saying

I think it comes down to what you like. A open glock isnt as nice looking as a 2011. That and weight is a big thing, at 30 ounces that can be a big disadvantage to a 50 ounce 2011. I've shot a open glock that shoots just as nice as a 2011 open gun. 

FB_IMG_1548213563171.jpg

2 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

See above  ^^^^^    .    Now, if I were to ever shoot a Glock in OPEN MAJOR, 

that is The Gun I would select.   

That looks like a GUN>      :) 

That's built by Dcprecision LLC. 45 plus ounces, 3 port comp with 2 popple holes. Fast and flat and built for major 9.

48 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

I think ZEV has a PRO shooter who kicks the crap out of a lot if not all open shooters right now.  Now maybe he gets a new gun every month or so...who knows.  

Not sure I know of this guy. Who is it?

Well it's my long term solution for now.  Sounds like you think I'm gonna be going through slides? What for? The slide doesn't beat the hell out the frame if Comp is doing its job.  Please let me know though so I can purchase spare parts if needed.  How strong are zev slides?

12 hours ago, Adrenaline said:

I am very suprised to hear about reliability. I've practiced over 4000 rounds so far and havent had 1 malfunction at all. 171 to 174 pf depends on if I'm shooting the 7.7 gr or 7.8 grain load. 15 lb recoil spring, Carver comp. Wolff guide rod..bad ass johnny glock trigger..and everything else you see. 100% reliable.

I’m surprised you’ve shot or practiced anywhere near the 4K rounds you claim since you were asking about your first load development and concerns of loading your first major rounds to shoot in your Glock 5 days ago.  

It can be your long term solution to open, that’s fine, no one cares, quit asking questions that you’re really not interested in knowing the answer to

Hello: They won't last very long shooting major 9mm loads. New frame every 7,000-10,000 rounds. They are not built to take the pounding of Major 9mm loads. That is why some use 147 grain bullets to try to make them last longer. I don't think it is a bad platform if you use a steel frame. Thanks, Eric

There is a very nice 2011 shorty Open gun with mags for sale in Classifieds for an incredible price, from - guess who - Glock26Toter. We could discuss here to the death, but, please trust me, just go and buy it. You won't be disappointed. You'll decide for yourself based on your own experience.
I wish I could buy it.

6 hours ago, arkadi said:

There is a very nice 2011 shorty Open gun with mags for sale in Classifieds for an incredible price, from - guess who - Glock26Toter. We could discuss here to the death, but, please trust me, just go and buy it. You won't be disappointed. You'll decide for yourself based on your own experience.
I wish I could buy it.

I agree, if you don’t buy it now, you’ll eventually buy one, and after spending all that money on building the open Glock. I ran an open Glock for a while. and I really liked it. Then I decided to “get my feet wet” in the world of 2011s, bought a SPS Pantera. I was never a big 40 shooter so I thought I’d just mess around with it. A month later I was buying a 2011 open gun.  The triggers are that good. Everything about them is that good. There’s a ton of good deals on open guns in the classifieds right now. 

2 hours ago, Adrenaline said:

But with a good comp doing its job and the right recoil spring there shouldn't be an issue with the frame getting beat up right?

The right recoil spring to save the frame is not going to be the optimal spring to balance the slide and comp.  you’ll have to overspring it to save the frame and you’ll reduce the effectiveness of the comp by doing so.

the reason one guy shoots a open Glock at a high level is because steel challenge is his priority and he’s paid to do so and does not pay for someone to keep his guns running.

• 3 weeks later...

I had an open Glock in .40, fully tricked out. It was fun to shoot but I think that, at the end of the day, if you’re going to shoot in a division as competitive and equipment-driven as open, relatively small differences can make or break your setup. You can spend a lot of time and money on a Glock trigger and still not approach the usability and advantages of a 2011 trigger. I also struggled with load development that would actually work the comp, YMMV. Not to say that there isn’t a place for open Glocks, but I think shooting a Glock in limited makes a lot more sense. Just my .02

43 minutes ago, mushroom09 said:

I had an open Glock in .40, fully tricked out. It was fun to shoot but I think that, at the end of the day, if you’re going to shoot in a division as competitive and equipment-driven as open, relatively small differences can make or break your setup. You can spend a lot of time and money on a Glock trigger and still not approach the usability and advantages of a 2011 trigger. I also struggled with load development that would actually work the comp, YMMV. Not to say that there isn’t a place for open Glocks, but I think shooting a Glock in limited makes a lot more sense. Just my .02

Yep. And 9mm’s are right at home in CO.