Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Auto or Manual

I can't decide between the Dillion RL 550C and the Dillion Square Deal B,  I like the Square Deal because of the auto indexed shellplate. To reloaders out there, I would appreciate your inputs what do you guys prefer, Auto or Manual indexed.

I don't know much about those two loaders, as the only Dillon I've ever owned is my 650. But as to the overall question, I'd go automatic. Is a 650 a lot more money than the SQB? The 650 does not use proprietary dies, and is an auto.

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 9:24 AM, Steve RA said:

You could probably also load .40 Major on a SDB.

Yeah, BUT, you really should have those dies that Really Size

the case down, to prevent bullet setback.

You load .40 major with a heavy bullet, and fast powder

(which you should), and you get any bullet setback - your

gun is toast   :surprise:

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

I had a friend (unfortunately not with us anymore) who loaded on a SDB and was a .40 S&W user who loaded Major - not for matches - on his with 180gr and 4756 powder.  Never had a problem with it in a couple of Glocks he used.  Loads were for home defense and protection.

Case: Hornady
Twist: 1:16"
Primer: Winchester SP, Small Pistol
Barrel Length: 4"
Trim Length: .845"

BULLET WEIGHT180 GR. HDY XTP

Starting Loads
Maximum Loads
Manufacturer
Powder
Bullet Diam.
C.O.L.

Grs.
Vel. (ft/s)
Pressure

Grs.
Vel. (ft/s)
Pressure
IMR
SR 4756
.400"
1.125"

25,200 PSI

28,800 PSI

BULLET WEIGHT

Edited by Steve RA

Look at Dillon, despite the SDB being auto index it isnt any faster. When I asked Dillon about it, I was told it had to do with acsess,, was just a bit slower to get bullets and brass in.
550 also gives you, (and you will end up wanting) ability to seat and crimp in  steps

1 hour ago, Hiroshi said:

Just 9mm..

I've been loading 9mm (minor and Major) for 20

years on my SDB.

Works great.   I can easily load 200 rounds/hour and many

claim they can load Many More than that (I take my time,

and am Not in a hurry).

I'm now thinking of getting a 1050 or 1100 for the priming

advantage - only because my arthritis flares up from priming

on the upstroke.

Other than that, the SDB is all you need to load 9mm.    :) 

To me this question always comes down to whether you are going to load rifle.  I  have loaded on both of these presses and for pistol i slightly perfer the SDB because of the auto index. If you think rifle is in your future then the 550 is the way to go. I load 9, 40 major, and 45 on the sdb and  have no  issues,  and have done the same on the 550

On 1/27/2019 at 4:15 AM, GrumpyOne said:

If your choices are between those two, I would say the 550, only because it does not use proprietary dies.

This is the only response I’ve read but I like it.  The speed difference between my 650 and 550 is due to the auto brass loader not the auto indexing.  I’ve never had a safety concern with the manual index.  If you’re only ever going to load something simple like plain jane 9mm and never change it, I suppose the SDB will be fine but I chose the 550 for versatility and have never looked back.  

Edited by jkrispies

On 1/27/2019 at 7:02 AM, Hiroshi said:

I can't decide between the Dillion RL 550C and the Dillion Square Deal B,  I like the Square Deal because of the auto indexed shellplate. To reloaders out there, I would appreciate your inputs what do you guys prefer, Auto or Manual indexed.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/reloader-buying-guide.html

I agree with other posters; the 550 offers future flexibility without really sacrificing anything in terms of speed to the SDB.  While auto-indexing can be advantageous, the onus is always on you as the reloader to devote your attention to the task at hand.  And not for nothing, but I think the 550 does have better resale value than the SDB due to said flexibility (if it comes down to a tie-breaker in your mind, this may tip it) if your needs change later on.

Purchase the most you can afford (1050/1100 if it's in the budget).

Everyone has said this:

550 and up use industry standard dies.

^^^^ 

That is huge!!!!!!!!!

Note: I'm all about producing the best ammo I can in large quantities and auto anything works better for me. I do enjoy the gadgets and working out a better load, but in the end I want a pile of quality ammo to shoot. 

Edited by HesedTech

Current msrp the 550 is only $50. more than a SD . Yes you have to get dies 

but a lot more leverage a better maid press (imo) I have both don't use the Sd anymore.

Back when the SD was a lot cheaper it made some sense today it does not.

Any reason to not consider a 650? A 650 with a casefeeder is great. When I decided to upgrade to a Dillon it was between a 550 or 650. I went 650 for Auto index. Only thing to do is pull lever and set bullet. Whatever one you get, I recommend Dillon dies. I had issues with Lee and Hornady sizing dies taking excessive amounts of force to size (yes I lube cases). Switched to Dillon dies and they size easier and I'm getting less rejects when gauging

I would normally say get the most expensive press you can afford. If the 1050 1100 is in your budget, then get it. However, if you only shoot a couple hundred rounds a month, then get the 550. I reloaded on a 550 for many years. It is a great press and will allow you to reload more calibers using standard dies.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

One thing to keep in mind is with a 550 you can load rifle as well as pistol, with the SDB it's pistol only. If you reload long enough you'll end up loading for rifle some day. Personally I started out with a new 550B back when they were under $300.00  then got a SDB set up for 45 app for $75.00 and just recently got a 650 set up for 45 and 308  and 223 with lots of extra stuff  bullets, cases, powder, strong mount, etc. just to name a few for $1300.00

Edited by bigwes