Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hundo Reject Rate

Almo

I noticed that when I switched to the 9mm Hundo from the Dillon case gauge, my reject rate went from 2% to 20%.  It seems like the head of the case was the issue most of the time.  9mm brass is relatively cheap and available, so not too big an issue, I can still use them for practice.  However, everything that passed the Dillon case gauge worked fine in all my 9mm's.  I've been thinking of getting a Hundo for the 40 XL, but I wondered if 40 XL would have the same results.  40 S&W cases aren't as cheap and readily available.  What’s been your experience with the Hundo?  I use Zero jacketed bullets in both calibers.

My experience is opposite, the Hondo is more forgiving than EGW or Wilson. I use Zero 124s for CO/PCC, and found I needed to load them shorter, 1.100.  Longer and they would pass the Hundo but fail EGW and Wilsons.  Use a magic marker on your case and bullet ogive to see where the interference is.   Also use an old bore brush to clean the holes. 

I have a 40XL.  When I switched to use a Lee Carbide Crimp die, my failure rate went from 20% to 2%.   You get a lot of Glocked cases in 40.  You have to use .400" dia. bullets of the die will swage them down to .400".

BTW, you can buy perfectly cleaned and polished 40sw brass for $30/1000 plus USPS shipping.

Edited by zzt

I noticed that when I switched to the 9mm Hundo from the Dillon case gauge, my reject rate went from 2% to 20%.  It seems like the head of the case was the issue most of the time.  9mm brass is relatively cheap and available, so not too big an issue, I can still use them for practice.  However, everything that passed the Dillon case gauge worked fine in all my 9mm's.  I've been thinking of getting a Hundo for the 40 XL, but I wondered if 40 XL would have the same results.  40 S&W cases aren't as cheap and readily available.  What’s been your experience with the Hundo?  I use Zero jacketed bullets in both calibers.

I use Lee dies on my Dillon 650 and my fail rate is about 2%. usually if I can't get it fixed by running through the crimp station I'll just pull it and toss the brass. the hundo 40xl has definitely given me peace of mind. I load to 1.205 and all bullets that have passed have fed & gone bang every time thus far

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone.  I do use a Lee Carbide Crimp die and my reject rate on .40 S&W is currently about 0.25%.  I try to never use brass that's been fired in a Glock.  However that limits my range pickup or used brass purchase possibilities.  That's why I had some concern with increasing the reject rate when switching to the Hundo.

@Almo For 40 reloading a Redding GRX push thru sizing die is almost a pre-requisite. I like using it as I can take a finished cartridge that won't gauge, run it through the GRX and then re-gauge it. Most of the time that one push thru will fix it so it gauges just fine. 

really cuts down on the "cull pile". 

My failures in both 9mm and 40 SW were due to the occasional lower third off the case being bulged a bit. The “bulge buster” work great to fix these, but it’s really slow doing one case at a time. So I broke down and purchased a roll sizer and now have basically zero failures now due to sizing issues. The occasional failure is a primer or a bullet that some how seated crooked. Basically 1/2% rejects now. 

BTW I Hundo check every round. All ammo is essentially “match” ready. 

4 hours ago, KrymSIX said:

@Almo For 40 reloading a Redding GRX push thru sizing die is almost a pre-requisite. I like using it as I can take a finished cartridge that won't gauge, run it through the GRX and then re-gauge it. Most of the time that one push thru will fix it so it gauges just fine. 

really cuts down on the "cull pile". 

I had some issues with some cases failing to fit my Hundo and i put them in a container.  Talked to my Buddy the other day and he told me he uses the push thru sizing die as well and it has corrected most of the problems with the failed cases.  I am going to order one.  Great that you can run finished rounds thru them.  

The body of the Lee Factory Carbide Crimp die is actually the same body as their push through sizing die.  So you don't need an additional step.

As I mentioned earlier, I use a Shockbottle (Hundo) 40 XL gauge.  I drop loaded rounds in and then lift it on one edge when full.  Any round that does not fall below the surface gets pulled.  I used to have a 2% failure rate with my setup until I noticed the bulk of the 'rejects' were held up by the rim.  Evidently some guns have very sharp extractors that actually cut the rib.  So I run a file over the rim to remove the burr and the case drops in.   Even the one's that have a small remaining bulge still feed, chamber and fire in all by 40sw guns, I only use them for practice.

On 1/25/2019 at 10:27 PM, JJB05 said:

I had some issues with some cases failing to fit my Hundo and i put them in a container.  Talked to my Buddy the other day and he told me he uses the push thru sizing die as well and it has corrected most of the problems with the failed cases.  I am going to order one.  Great that you can run finished rounds thru them.  

I would use an empty case in between loaded rounds, unless others have found there isn’t any setback from the 2nd round onwards.

On 1/28/2019 at 2:37 PM, MikeyScuba said:

I would use an empty case in between loaded rounds, unless others have found there isn’t any setback from the 2nd round onwards.

you push each round all the way through the die before you put the next one in.

• 2 weeks later...

So i had a lot of issues with my .40 loads not making my Hundo case gauge.  I would get an average reject rate of anywhere between 3-8 per hundred not making it.  I would just throw the rejects into a bin.  Today i got my lee Bulge Buster and Lee Factory Crimp die.  I put it on my old Lee press.  Below is a sample that i did.  I had about 200 in my reject bin and after putting them all through the bulge buster, I had 10 that still failed the case gauge.  This was a fairly cheap purchase and allowed me to save a ton of loaded rounds that were useless to me.  Some that initially failed through the bulge buster, i ran through  second time and they were fine. I recommend.  

Hundo1.jpg

Hundo2.jpg

1 hour ago, bigedp51 said:

That's what you get when you pick up strange girls with a fat ass.

Put them on a Weight Watchers diet first before you take them out.

Below, Hondo with a nice slim woman. :devil:

Hondo-1953-featured.jpg?w=1200&ssl=1

Fat girls need loving too.

16 minutes ago, JJB05 said:

Fat girls need loving too.

You are correct about needing love also.

"BUT" its the fat cases you pickup off the ground fired in someones fat chamber and why the cases do not fit in the case gauges.

And the cases below also need some bulge buster "loving" before being reloaded and gauged.

62561d1494698160-bulged-9mm-brass-img_37

Edited by bigedp51

10 hours ago, bigedp51 said:

You are correct about needing love also.

"BUT" its the fat cases you pickup off the ground fired in someones fat chamber and why the cases do not fit in the case gauges.

And the cases below also need some bulge buster "loving" before being reloaded and gauged.

62561d1494698160-bulged-9mm-brass-img_37

Yes fat girls need loving to.      I run all 40s thru a redding GRX die . those cases above would go in my scrap bucket  tho.

40 caliber shooters need to accept the fact that there is no getting around the requirement of either push through or roll sizing the brass before you reload it. Once you start doing that the QC of your loaded ammo go way up and your malfunctions go way down when you shoot it. Yes its a pain in the ass to push through or roll size your 40 brass. But the extra effort is well worth the reward.

47 minutes ago, EEH said:

Out of the last 10 to 20,000 rounds I shot in three different Sti guns,  I rolled  ( 0  ) none, can’t remember having a bad bullet.

maybe I’m lucky.

Yep....... You are "Lucky" until your luck runs out.

EEH is working diligently to bulge everyone's brass in fat chambers to leave it on the ground for roll-sizer and push-thru owners to pickup and enjoy their ownership. Cycle completes, love everywhere! 

Why no just chamber check (in the most strictest of the barrels), is it much slower than the gauge?

If you haven't used a Hundred Hole Case Gauge then you won't understand the magnitude of time savings it produces. Using a Hundo case gauge will make you wonder why you wasted any time doing them one at a time in the past.

I didn't read thru every post in this thread so, I apologize if I'm repeating something already said. 

Three things. 

1.  The case gauge needs to be cleaned from time to time. It gets build up and it media in the holes. That will make you think you have failed rounds. 

2.  If you get a failed round, try rotating the round while in the same hole. It may drop all the way down. 

3.  I bet most folks have learned or know if they're chamber is more forgiving than their gauge. It should be. So, if a round is what I call broderline, I try it in my other single round case gauge that's not as tight as my hundo. If it passes, I call it good to go since I know my chamber is even more forgiving. 

3.1 If I'm loading for a major, and it doesn't pass the first time in the hundo, it's gets culled and goes in to practice only or thrown out all together. 

I load for 9, 9 major and .40 long. I've never used a push thru die. I'm sure it'd help with any of the failures I do get while case gauging. I don't get a ton so, I feel it's not worth the time. I've never had a single malfunction in any caliber at any match. However, I'm considering buying new brass for majors.