Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hundo Reject Rate

Almo

Do you have specific numbers: how much time is used - for both cases, and saved to gauge and box 100 good  rounds?

Are there any savings considering the whole timeline? I mean roll-sizers are rare.

I have a smaller DAA gauge for 9mm. Different caliber and different brand, but it's a brick I don't use anymore.

Edited by arkadi

49 minutes ago, arkadi said:

Do you have specific numbers: how much time is used - for both cases, and saved to gauge and box 100 good  rounds?

Are there any savings considering the whole timeline? I mean roll-sizers are rare.

I have a smaller DAA gauge for 9mm. Different caliber and different brand, but it's a brick I don't use anymore.

The time is saved by eliminating the repetitive hand movements needed to put a round in the case gauge then remove it. On a single round case gauge there are at least 2 hand movements and one physical or visual inspection per round. This is three steps per round. Step 1 - Put the round into the gauge. Step 2 - Physically or visually inspect the Go/No Go of the round within the gauge. Step 3 - Remove the round from the gauge.

A 100 hole case gauge still requires the same 3 basic steps. But each step is done in batches of 100 rounds at a time. This produces 100 times less of the "Stop & Go" of using a single hole case gauge.

22 minutes ago, arkadi said:

That's spherical horse in the vacuum. Do you have the numbers?

I don't understand your comment. Do I have numbers on what? The time savings of using a Hundo Gauge over a single hole gauge? I am not going to waste any effort timing how long it takes to case gauge 100 rounds in a single hole case gauge then compare it to using a Hundo gauge just to spoon feed you a time savings data point. If you want to know the exact time savings then do the testing yourself. 

I don't care about the numbers. I've done plenty of one at a time case gauging over the years before I got a hundo gauge. The hundo is MUCH faster and far less tedious as well. It's probably 3-4 times as fast, and i get a better visual inspection of the primers as well, and less likelihood of letting something slip by.

18 hours ago, arkadi said:

That's spherical horse in the vacuum. Do you have the numbers?

I can case gauge 400 rounds with a hundo in roughly the time it took to do 100 rounds with a single hole Dillon gauge. The quality is higher because I cram the holes full rapdily, thenhold the whole tray up to the light and take my time inspecting to make sure that the primers all look / feel alike.

With a single gauge it’s easy to go on autopilot and realize you didn’t *really* inspect the last 10 primers you dropped in the gauge, you’re just hustling through.

And they wind up neatly packaged in 100 plastic boxes instead of ziplock bags, because you flip the hundo over on top of an ammo box and they drop right in. It takes no extra time to do so.

I don’t understand why you’re reluctanct to believe the hundo is worth twice it’s price; it seems blindingly obvious.

Ask guys at your next match if they have one. Ask them if they wish they had bought one  years earlier. Those answers always match.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

14 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I can case gauge 400 rounds with a hundo in roughly the time it took to do 100 rounds with a single hole Dillon gauge. The quality is higher because I cram the holes full rapdily, thenhold the whole tray up to the light and take my time inspecting to make sure that the primers all look / feel alike.

With a single gauge it’s easy to go on autopilot and realize you didn’t *really* inspect the last 10 primers you dropped in the gauge, you’re just hustling through.

And they wind up neatly packaged in 100 plastic boxes instead of ziplock bags, because you flip the hundo over on top of an ammo box and they drop right in. It takes no extra time to do so.

I don’t understand why you’re reluctanct to believe the hundo is worth twice it’s price; it seems blindingly obvious.

Ask guys at your next match if they have one. Ask them if they wish they had bought one  years earlier. Those answers always match.

Agreed, not sure why anyone would even question the usefulness of the Hundo, regardless of the price...and you are right...easy to put the ammo box over it and flip.  gauge in quantity, inspect in quantity and load boxes quickly...only Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez could find a problem with that.

Guys, all I asked are the numbers. I have a brick-style gauge from DAA.

For me it is a question of trust. I trust the chamber check.

Too many false negatives with the gauge and it doesn't simulate rifling exactly.

> I don’t understand why you’re reluctanct to believe the hundo is worth twice it’s price; it seems blindingly obvious.

Never wrote nor implied that.

> With a single gauge it’s easy to go on autopilot and realize you didn’t *really* inspect the last 10 primers you dropped in the gauge, you’re just hustling through.

Well, I use 1050 and I place cartridges bullets down in the box.

Also, when I speak about myself - I use "I" instead of "you", that would be a correct pronoun to employ.

Thanks anyway. I'm going to order a roll sizer to try with gauge.

Go do it the hard way then and stuff bullets in your barrel one by one, cave man. Have fun with that. :D 

The hundo works. If it drops into and falls out of that gauge, it feeds in every gun I own. It’s also incredibly fast. You’ve heard some version of that from everyone who has responded, but for some reason that isn’t good enough.

When we go to a major match, the vast majority of experienced reloaders I know with put their ammo through the shockbottle gauge, check it primers extra carefully, box it up, and call it good to go. 

3 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

BAAMM!

On 2/15/2019 at 12:27 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

When we go to a major match, the vast majority of experienced reloaders I know with put their ammo through the shockbottle gauge, check it primers extra carefully, box it up, and call it good to go. 

checking the primers is one reason i really like the hundo. to be honest, pretty much everything that doesn't case gauge still runs in my guns, but I do catch some split cases, and I have some extra peace of mind, and I get to examine all 100 primers from all angles compared to each other and look for high ones. High primers (or backwards primers ..... ) are way more likely to cause a problem while shooting than a slightly bulged case.

For my 9mm Open guns (major and minor) I buy fully processed brass.  It has been resized, deprimed, push through sized, swaged, wet cleaned with SS media, and lubed.  100% of loaded rounds pass chamber check.  Even so I bought a 9mm Shockbottle (same thing) for the reasons stated above.  I can easily visually inspect.  I can run my finger over the cases to feel for any high primers I may have missed.  Placing the gauge on the table raises the rounds for much easier marking with a Magic Marker than doing so in a case.  It lets me be 101% sure there is nothing externally wrong with my loads.

@arkadi I think if you're super nervous/conservative about the gauge you might decide what actual bullet diameter you're using then get a gauge that supports that. For 40 for instance a lot of guys use the ShockBottle XL because they're using .401 coated bullets. My chamber is on the tightef side so I have to use .400 and use an EGW gauge because it's designed for .400 bullets

I really can't see the objection to using the gauge. An easy way to prove its effectiveness for yourself would be to take the gauge, gauge some ammo then do the plunk test in your barrel. That way you will confirm that ammo that passes your gauge will drop in your barrel. 

Then you don't have to check with your barrel as long as it passes the gauge. If you have a round that is a little sticky in your gauge you could plunk test it and then determine it's fine for a practice round.

I've been using the Shockbottle XL for years.  Mostly with .400" bullets, but also some .401".  It isn't the bullet that will cause the case stick, it's the case.  The XL works equally well with the 1.126" and 1.180" OALs I load.

Thanks, everyone.  I'm going to order the Hundo in .40 and see what happens to my reject rate.  Like I said, it's only 0.25% with the Dillon gauge (1 in 400).  And, so far, they've all fed, fired, and ejected in my .40's.  So, maybe it won't change as much as the 9mm did.

Well, I got the Hundo in 40XL and re-checked all the ammo that had passed the Dillon case gauge.  I only rejected an extra 0.14%, and they were close.  So, I'm a happy camper with the Hundo.  I also ordered the flip trays for both the 40 and the 9 while I was at it.  I'm glad I did.  They work so much better than using another ammo box.

My Hundo XL was very sensitive to certain bullet shapes. The profile of certain coated bullets caused the failure rate to increase. Eggleston 180s had about a 7% reject rate in this gauge compared to 1% for Blue Bullets. The rejects went into my practice ammo and all went bang. 

I use a Lee factory crimp die, Lee “U” undersized size die and never load glocked brass. 

I shoot 200 gr blues @1.90 and I just run a egw u die with sub 1% XL gauge fail rate. I shoot LE brass that had been run through glocks and even reloaded after running them through my glocks. I’m have a fairly tight Schumann barrel on my 2011 with no issues. If it fails the Hundo, it goes in the pre-practice bin to be chamber checked. ❤️ the Hundo. Saves a bunch of time.

Whenever I get a new gun or load a new bullet I first do all the regular load development but when I'm ready to produce ammo I do this procedure. I make 100 and throw them in the hundo gauge. Whatever is even close in any way, shape or form I put in a different pile. Then that pile I check each and every one in all the appropriate gun's barrels. Now I know the difference between my hundo and my barrel.

Some guns agree and if it fails the hundo there is a good chance the gun won't like them either. Other guns have a greater tolerance and will except the hundo rejects up to a certain point. Once I know this difference it makes it much easier to deal with the variances at the gauge when dealing with 100 possible decisions.

@rowdyb I agree that it’s important to know how bad your ammo can fail the gauge before it becomes a problem. For a major, I’ll load 750 rounds... and bring the 500 with me that go through the gauge loosely with zero sticking.

For a local, I’ll often run nearly all the rejects without a single issue.

I’ll sort the beautiful ammo, the stuff that just sticks and needs a finger to poke out, the minor failures to drop in all the way, and the obvious/visible sizing issues... into separate ziplocks for use during practice. You learn a lot about what your gun can be expected to tolerate that way.

Just now, MemphisMechanic said:

@rowdyb I agree that it’s important to know how bad your ammo can fail the gauge before it becomes a problem. For a major, I’ll load 750 rounds... and bring the 500 with me that go through the gauge loosely with zero sticking.

For a local, I’ll often run nearly all the rejects without a single issue.

I’ll sort the beautiful ammo, the stuff that just sticks and needs a finger to poke out, the minor failures to drop in all the way, and the obvious/visible sizing issues... into separate ziplocks for use during practice. You learn a lot about what your gun can be expected to tolerate that way.

Correct, a big step is knowing the varying tolerances between the hundo and your barrel. Now if you wanted to get specific about grading your ammo, as you did, about what I accept for a local versus a national that is a different story. hahahaha. For major matches I accept absolutely zero issues. I'll reject rounds purely on I don't like the color of the brass, hahaha.