Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

best factory ammo for 9mm PCC competition

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

www.sgammo.com

I run 124 grain ammo.....PMC, Blazer or Blazer aluminum case.....depending on what they have in stock at the time and best price at the time.......it all works great in all the PCC's we run here at TACCOM

1 hour ago, ericskennard said:

I guess I am different. I have found CCI Lawman 147 or Browning 147 to be the most accurate at 50 yards.

I would wager that if most of us are honest, we haven’t fired ours at a target beyond 25-35.

Mine is a local match toy exclusivlely. So it’s built for 90% of it’s shooting to occur inside of 15 yds.

A couple of comments.  CCI (makers of Blazer Brass and Blazer and Independence Aluminum case ammo) warns AGAINST using:

1. Blazer brass "FMJ" in compensated barrels as the plating (yes, they are plated, not true FMJ) is thin and can spall off when scored by the rifling and fragments can be spit out of the comp's vents.

2. Any aluminum case ammo in any blowback 9 mm as the cases stick to the chamber walls more than brass and can cause head separations. 

Now whether these warnings are based on real problems or just lawyer-driven excess caution I don't know.   From the above postings it seems others have used both types and reported no problem.  YMMV

When asked what they did recommend, they said Speer Lawman "FMJ" is heavily plated and safe for compensated barrels.   I found it at Target Sports for $180 with free shipping for a case of 1000 in both 115 and 124 grain bullet weights.

If I wasn’t reloading I would buy the cheapest ammo that ran reliably. I never shoot mine past 25 yards and rarely at a target smaller than an 8 inch plate so pretty much any ammo is plenty accurate enough. But, then again, I’m a hack.

1 hour ago, Startingover said:

Has anyone tried this stuff yet?

I know some industry people that tried some when it was in R&D. They said it was really soft and made PF with room to spare. They don’t know if that was the load that will go to full production or not. 

Today I had time to go down to the range after work and test the following ammo on my JP and FM. Top to bottom is how the ranked in the JP. The FM was similar but groups were larger with the Syntech than the UMC so I would swap those around for the FM9 as it sits. Basic 20yd test with a 2MOA dot from a bench rest, then off hand shooting fast to see how the dot moved on recoil. While the UMC wasn't as soft as the American Eagle, the dot still moved less on both rifles. Below is the exact details of each if anyone is interested:

150gr Federal Syntech Action Pistol

Remington 124gr UMC

American Eagle 124gr

Magtech 115gr

Blazer Brass 124gr

For the first event for me in PCC this weekend, I'm going to use the Syntech in the JP.

ammo.jpg

It’s nice that there’s enough ammo around that we can be picky! That may not always be the case, and is oftentimes not the case in the middle of the season when ammo becomes more scarce and many manufacturers are out. That’s one reason why I haven’t changed to Syntech yet....supply has been an issue in the past, and I’d rather change temporarily from something similar like T1 124 gr to Atlanta Arms 124 gr than from something really different like T1 to 150 gr Syntech....So, unless you plan on buying a TON, like enough for the whole season ton right now when it’s available, you may consider staying with a more common/traditional bullet for factory ammo. My $.02.

1 hour ago, Silverscooby27 said:

It’s nice that there’s enough ammo around that we can be picky! That may not always be the case, and is oftentimes not the case in the middle of the season when ammo becomes more scarce and many manufacturers are out. That’s one reason why I haven’t changed to Syntech yet....supply has been an issue in the past, and I’d rather change temporarily from something similar like T1 124 gr to Atlanta Arms 124 gr than from something really different like T1 to 150 gr Syntech....So, unless you plan on buying a TON, like enough for the whole season ton right now when it’s available, you may consider staying with a more common/traditional bullet for factory ammo. My $.02.

You make a good point. I run the 147 from both the companies when Syntech is backordered. I’ve noticed that all three run out during the season. Between the three I’m pretty much covered. 

Anything that goes bang when you pull the trigger is acceptable for use, haha. Consistency is important too, though, and it is best to find one load, set up the gun around that load, and stick to it. And if that load is not available, get the thing that is the closest possible to the load that your gun is tuned/set up for. Going from 150 gr poly coat even to 147 but especially to 115 is a big difference.

On 1/23/2019 at 2:04 PM, SteelCityShooter said:

A couple of comments.  CCI (makers of Blazer Brass and Blazer and Independence Aluminum case ammo) warns AGAINST using:

1. Blazer brass "FMJ" in compensated barrels as the plating (yes, they are plated, not true FMJ) is thin and can spall off when scored by the rifling and fragments can be spit out of the comp's vents.

2. Any aluminum case ammo in any blowback 9 mm as the cases stick to the chamber walls more than brass and can cause head separations. 

Now whether these warnings are based on real problems or just lawyer-driven excess caution I don't know.   From the above postings it seems others have used both types and reported no problem.  YMMV

When asked what they did recommend, they said Speer Lawman "FMJ" is heavily plated and safe for compensated barrels.   I found it at Target Sports for $180 with free shipping for a case of 1000 in both 115 and 124 grain bullet weights.

If you are referring to my post, CCI Lawman is BRASS cased. I would not shoot aluminum in anything nor would I use steel cased stuff!!! I had to look on the Speer site and you are right, they call them "Total Metal Jacket" . Good catch

From their site "

On 1/23/2019 at 2:04 PM, SteelCityShooter said:

TMJ® bullet with a plated jacket that encapsulates the entire lead core.

• Offers the same feel and point of aim as comparable personal defense loads
  • Reloadable cases
  • TMJ® bullet’s jacket encapsulates the lead core
Edited by ericskennard
11 hours ago, ericskennard said:

f you are referring to my post, CCI Lawman is BRASS cased. I would not shoot aluminum in anything nor would I use steel cased stuff!!! I had to look on the Speer site and you are right, they call them "Total Metal Jacket" . Good catch

Yes, the Lawman definitely has brass cases and yes, TMJ is misleading but it's still thick enough to be safe.  

I've used Independence aluminum cased "TMJ" ammo in my S&W M&P9 and it works very well in a locked breach semi-auto.  It's also nice to be able to just sweep up the fired cases and discard them.  I would not use it in my PCC and  I've never used steel case stuff in anything and probably never will.