Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Walther new steel frame competition Q5

mikeAZ

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/26/2019 at 10:39 AM, Fasthenk65 said:

Any new Range reports highly appreciated!!

The gun is pretty sweet! I shot one a little the other day after a match. I was laying softball sized groups at 10 yds shooting very fast (.15 slpits).

The Walthers are very very accurate!  This one is no different!  The SF shoots faltter (obviously).

Best striker fired trigger!  Set up for CO!  

I think it's definitely a step up from the poly q5!

Has anyone shot the Q5 Match next to the Q5 SF that can give us an idea of how the recoil impulses compare? I have a sneaking suspecion that polymer guns absorb recoil pretty well and wanted to compare that to the steel gun.

(Note: I'm aware people that are sponsored by Walther say the SF gun is "so much flatter and faster", however I wan't an unbiased subjective option" 

11 minutes ago, threat said:

Has anyone shot the Q5 Match next to the Q5 SF that can give us an idea of how the recoil impulses compare? I have a sneaking suspecion that polymer guns absorb recoil pretty well and wanted to compare that to the steel gun.

I finally took the SF standard (couldn't bring myself to splurge on the Pro) and Q4 TAC to a range recently to have a quick side by side comparison. The perceived recoil of the SF was significantly less, I'd say on par with the recoil of Q22 (which I already upbraided myself for not bringing to a shootout for more comparison options). Q4 was definitely more jumpy. Also, because of the "fatter" grip of the SF, it feels more round and, for me, fuller. Frankly, compared to the grip of SF, Q4 TAC and PPQ M1 grips feel more like Glocks - same feeling of squeezing a 2x4 in your hands (if such blasphemy can be allowed here) :)

8 hours ago, VViz said:

I finally took the SF standard (couldn't bring myself to splurge on the Pro) and Q4 TAC to a range recently to have a quick side by side comparison. The perceived recoil of the SF was significantly less, I'd say on par with the recoil of Q22 (which I already upbraided myself for not bringing to a shootout for more comparison options). Q4 was definitely more jumpy. Also, because of the "fatter" grip of the SF, it feels more round and, for me, fuller. Frankly, compared to the grip of SF, Q4 TAC and PPQ M1 grips feel more like Glocks - same feeling of squeezing a 2x4 in your hands (if such blasphemy can be allowed here) :)

Thank you for your observations. Have you shot the Polymer Q5 Match next to the SF. The shorter Q4 guns and regular PPQ are significantly more jumpy than even the Polymer Q5 match.

14 hours ago, threat said:

(Note: I'm aware people that are sponsored by Walther say the SF gun is "so much flatter and faster", however I wan't an unbiased subjective option" 

Yes, I run a 13# recoil spring and a full length tungsten guide rod in my poly Q5 and the factory set up in my Q5 SF. There is a huge difference in recoil! The Q5sf feels very comparable to a shadow 2, if you have shot one, maybe a touch softer but it's been a while since I shot a Shadow 2. It's soft! 

The grip on the steel frame is fatter, I actually slimmed mine down by shaving the sides flat and flattening out the backstrap. Now it feels in-between the small grip and medium grip of the polymer framed one.

If you are on the fence about the steel frame, whether or not it is worth the upgrade, the answer is unequivocally yes! 

***I am sponsored by walther but that is my truthful opinion on the gun***

Edited by Prov1x

4 hours ago, Prov1x said:

Yes, I run a 13# recoil spring and a full length tungsten guide rod in my poly Q5 and the factory set up in my Q5 SF. There is a huge difference in recoil! The Q5sf feels very comparable to a shadow 2, if you have shot one, maybe a touch softer but it's been a while since I shot a Shadow 2. It's soft! 

The grip on the steel frame is fatter, I actually slimmed mine down by shaving the sides flat and flattening out the backstrap. Now it feels in-between the small grip and medium grip of the polymer framed one.

If you are on the fence about the steel frame, whether or not it is worth the upgrade, the answer is unequivocally yes! 

Thank you.

Unfortunately they aren't available at my local stores so I picked up the polymer gun for now. I really wish I could shoot on of the steel guns.

Is the SF gun any thinner in the beavertail area. The issue I have with the Polymer grip is that it spreads my hands apart up top too much causing my hand to get pushed down and cam sideways. 

4 hours ago, Prov1x said:

Walter needs to produce or tell us what recoil springs fit the SF guide rod.  In case you have any input.

The street price of either stock2 or shadow2 is way lower than q5 sf now, even adding $300 parts to stock2, and still cheaper. Shadow2 just need 3 springs and done. 

It would a lot more rational if we just wait a few months until the price goes down.

11 hours ago, philippshen said:

it looks almost no difference!

The video is meaningless.

At least until it’s shot by someone when it isn’t oversprung from the factory, and it is held by someone who can actually grip a gun decently. (Referring to that second oscillation that’s occuring.)

Compare this to the above:

Yes, the steel frame gun loses the squareish corners at the top of the backstrap underneath the back of the slide.

Can somewhat see it here:

That is what the guns needs IMO. I got to handle one last week and I found the grip not nearly grippy enough for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been hearing all sorts of interesting mods people are doing to the stock triggers. Especially after they try to dremel fit in an Apex trigger from their prior poly gun and it ends up not working.

Edited by rowdyb

On 2/6/2019 at 3:28 PM, philippshen said:

it looks almost no difference!

That’s what first came to my head. No equipment can get around proper technique.

It looked like the polymer returned faster than the steel frame. 

4 hours ago, rowdyb said:

I've been hearing all sorts of interesting mods people are doing to the stock triggers. Especially after they try to dremel fit in an Apex trigger from their prior poly gun and it ends up not working.

People need to understand that no trigger job will ever replace training.

1 hour ago, Tirppa said:

People need to understand that no trigger job will ever replace training.

I think it’s pretty common in the shooting sports to use aftermarket triggers. And to take it a step further,  walther mentioned releasing spring kits for the q5. So, not sure who mentioned forgoing training here. 

Springco makes a two piece spring kit for the ppq/q5 that takes weight from ~5lb to ~3.5lb. I believe it was the Daniel Thomson guy who did the stipple job at the top of this page that created the kit. Personally I like it and run it in my Q5. I think Daniel says the kit will work on the SF model. I hope to have an SF soon and will confirm if the spring kit works or not. 

To get one I just called Springco and asked for the PPQ/Q5 sping kit. I dont remember it being expensive maybe $20 ish? 

8 minutes ago, Brophy-J said:

Springco makes a two piece spring kit for the ppq/q5 that takes weight from ~5lb to ~3.5lb. I believe it was the Daniel Thomson guy who did the stipple job at the top of this page that created the kit. Personally I like it and run it in my Q5. I think Daniel says the kit will work on the SF model. I hope to have an SF soon and will confirm if the spring kit works or not. 

To get one I just called Springco and asked for the PPQ/Q5 sping kit. I dont remember it being expensive maybe $20 ish? 

Yes the springco springs work with the Q5SF