Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Walther new steel frame competition Q5

mikeAZ

On 2/28/2019 at 5:21 PM, echotango said:

Reduced the grip for wife's very small hands. 

20190228_170358.jpg

More pictures of this please? How do you like it compared to the standard grip profile?

Edited by Rudukai13

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, Rudukai13 said:

More pictures of this please? How do you like it compared to the standard grip profile?

The stock grip was huge for her.  The main reduction was on the backstrap.  It fits her hand much better now.  Her hand goes to the red line on the last pic. 

IMG_20190303_094159.jpg

IMG_20190303_094207.jpg

IMG_20190303_094215.jpg

IMG_20190303_094227.jpg

IMG_20190303_094159.jpg

Edited by echotango

Only ones I can find for sale are used , and at msrp still... frankly, there is no way in hell im buying a used gun with 100s of rounds out it for what a new one costs. They certainly are going to make more..

On 2/27/2019 at 8:40 AM, Kletus said:

I just couldn't get over how crisp the trigger on my original two PPQ's are and how mushy my SF trigger is.   I finally decided to yank the firing mechanism (left the trigger and trigger bar) out of my 4" PPQ and stuck it into my SF.    Night and day difference!  Now I'm back to the light trigger with no creep that I love from my other PPQ's.  I can't seem to find my trigger pull gauge, but it feels about like my P320 with Gray Guns trigger, but once you hit the wall on the SF the break is extremely crisp with no creep at all.  For some reason I did have some interference between the slide and the right side of the plastic housing that holds the firing mechanism.   Just a few swipes with a small file and it's gone.  Turns out the lighter trigger return spring was a spring from Lodemans (sp) that was in an original PPQ 3.5 lb trigger thread.  It wasn't a Springco spring as I had said before.  Just a replacement trigger return spring and the FB block spring is left standard and you end up with a better trigger than on the P320 X5 with a Gray Guns kit.   That's pretty impressive.

Once I swapped out the trigger parts, I didn't have quite as much issue with the trigger safety catching early as I did with the original parts.   While I had the gun apart, I did just a little file work to the back of the tab on the trigger safety and now it seems to be completely reliable with the lighter spring.   The trigger safety is still fully functional.

I'm carrying the X5 and the SF to the range today to get the red dots sighted in and to shoot them side by side.  I typically shoot a normal PPQ with small grips installed.  Once I get home from the range today I plan to do a grip reduction to remove some of the width and rear palm swell on the SF and then give the grip insert an epoxy/silicon carbide treatment. 

I was honestly leaning more towards the x5 due to the trigger... but now that I have that sorted out I'm pretty excited to see if I can get the grip on the SF to fit me right.

Does anyone know how to get rid of the take up on the trigger . Can you put a set screw at the top of the trigger to restrict travel? And if so how do you fix the trigger safety to work and what other problems will you run in to it.

39 minutes ago, dfox said:

Does anyone know how to get rid of the take up on the trigger . Can you put a set screw at the top of the trigger to restrict travel? And if so how do you fix the trigger safety to work and what other problems will you run in to it.

Why do you want to? Takeup has never bothered me on any poly pistol, but I see this asked now and again. The moment your finger touches the trigger you’ll bring it back to the wall anyway, and you have to know what you’re doing with pretravel modifications to ensure drop-safeties (like the striker block) remain functional.

I deleted all possible pretravel on my old G34 and M&P, and my Tanfoglio had absolutely zero: the trigger reset at the wall.

I shoot the Walther as fast, and as straight, as any of them.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

4 hours ago, dfox said:

The Apex trigger/trigger bar got rid of pretty much all the pretravel on my plastic Q5.  I don't know how you would do that with the stock trigger bar without eliminating the striker block's effectiveness. 

10 hours ago, dfox said:

I've seen a few examples of the SF pistols with Apex triggers installed in them already. Not sure if it's a drop-in fit or if you'll need to 'smith it a bit, but it's an option to consider

On 3/3/2019 at 9:54 AM, echotango said:

The stock grip was huge for her.  The main reduction was on the backstrap.  It fits her hand much better now.  Her hand goes to the red line on the last pic. 

IMG_20190303_094159.jpg

IMG_20190303_094207.jpg

IMG_20190303_094215.jpg

IMG_20190303_094227.jpg

IMG_20190303_094159.jpg

How. Did you get it that slim?

On 3/3/2019 at 9:54 AM, echotango said:

IMG_20190303_094159.jpg

IMG_20190303_094207.jpg

IMG_20190303_094215.jpg

IMG_20190303_094227.jpg

IMG_20190303_094159.jpg

How did you get it that slim? It looks great.

10 hours ago, dfox said:

Thanks.  First I sanded the texture all around and thinned sides with sandpaper on a piece of granite.  Then drilled little holes all around the backstrap and roughed up the inside.  After that I cleaned it up, then filled the backstrap with acraglas.  Once dried I carved out the backstrap shape with a dremel until it fit her hand.  Epoxy and silicon carbide and done.    

Edited by echotango

29 minutes ago, echotango said:

Thanks.  First I sanded the texture all around and thinned sides with sandpaper on a piece of granite.  Then drilled little holes all around the backstrap and roughed up the inside.  After that I cleaned it up, then filled the backstrap with acraglas.  Once dried I carved out the backstrap shape with a dremel until it fit her hand.  Epoxy and silicon carbide and done.    

Thanks 

12 hours ago, dfox said:

This is exactly what I'm hoping to do to mine.  Just need to get time.  I'd love to get an insert that simulates the exact dimensions of the grip on my CK Arms 2011.

I have the walther q5 match sf I want a flat trigger from APEX and trigger bar but they say theirs won't work on the sf does anyone have both the plastic q5 match and the sf match? what is the difference?  is it just in the trigger bar or more than that. my trigger has lots of takeup and not crisp at all.

Just asked that question on Instagram… I can't see a safety mechanism on there at all, there is a short video on IG showing it work, similar reset to the Apex.

If it has no safety on the trigger then its not legal for USPSA/IPSC… I'm wondering if its a pre-production prototype they are showing.