Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reducing Open Gun Split Times

sophiasmith

Bill Drills..........  Today: 1.12 draw, .22,.25, .23, .24, 22 1.39 reload .22, .19, .22, .23, .23, .24.  That's pretty average; sometimes I get the draw down to 1. or even less.  Sometimes I get splits around .25, but never over that and usually around .23, .22.  

I CANNOT seem to get those lightening splits you guys get no matter how hard I try.  I am not sure what else I can do.  Do you have any suggestions?

Bill Drills..........  Today: 1.12 draw, .22,.25, .23, .24, 22 1.39 reload .22, .19, .22, .23, .23, .24.  That's pretty average; sometimes I get the draw down to 1. or even less.  Sometimes I get splits around .25, but never over that and usually around .23, .22.  

I CANNOT seem to get those lightening splits you guys get no matter how hard I try.  I am not sure what else I can do.  Do you have any suggestions?
does the dot leave the glass for you?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This is something I heard from a Pro....I’m not skilled enough give great advice....you reduce split times not by how fast you pull the trigger but by how fast you release the trigger.

12 hours ago, sophiasmith said:

Sophia, I have found that just shooting and learning the trigger is critical to getting those split times down. I think my last training session I shot about 600 rounds. The greatest accuracy improvement tool for me was a reloading machine. Try to concentrate on your trigger finger movement.

Now, here is an old friend of mine (he is 19 now) who did something pretty cool: 

Kincaid explained to me how he was trying to keep  them in the Alpha zone and noticed they started to drift almost out so he slowed down. His splits were amazing at .12 but increased the split to .14 to keep the firearm under control. We all miss Kincaid as he left the sport suddenly. A really great kid. 

Rnlinebacker,  Yes, the dot does leave the glass.  Tighter grip???

And I like the idea of "not how fast you pull the trigger, but how quickly you release it."  I'm going to the range today and I am going to concentrate on that a little more than the actual trigger pull.  I find I am faster if I have just the very tip of my finger on the trigger.

Stoeger's doubles drill at 7, 15, and 25 yards has helped my splits a lot. It has helped me figure out problems with my grips and really shows how much you can get away with at various distances. 

The big thing I do when I’m shooting fast, dirty splits at close targets... is to quit using the reset in any fashion.

Try it. Come all the way off the trigger and punch it twice like it’s a staple gun. You don’t triggerfreeze, and you will actually split faster with the longer finger movement

Seems crazy. Try it anyway. See the first position in this video for one of my earlier experiments with ditching the highly overrated reset technique:

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I learned by taking a bucket of ammo to the range and I tried different grips and trigger pull method to find what worked for me.

In the end... My fastest splits are by loosening my grip a little to let the gun bump in my hand. A relaxed strong hand can move a lot faster than a tense one. Most people tend to over grip the gun with both hands as they try to speed up. This causes massive trigger freeze.

I learned fast splits by shooting into a berm with no target. You have to learn to move your finger that fast. I find staying relaxed and not trying to focus too hard on what you’re doing with the trigger pull is helpful. 

Best way to get fast splits is to not care about fast splits.  Two years ago I was trying to shoot fast and .17 was as fast as I could go.  I gave up on it.  Now I can shoot .12-.14 pretty much on demand.
In reality, splits ( so long as you can stay .20ish) don't matter much. 
Work on things that will improve your match performance like transitions, entries and exits.  

Rnlinebacker,  Yes, the dot does leave the glass.  Tighter grip???

What load and gun are you using where dot leaves the window? Tighter grip may help but not if it takes conscious effort to maintain that grip. The dot isn’t close to leaving window on any of my open guns. Heck it doesn’t leave the window on my 40 cal p320 with slide ride optic and duty ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Shadyscott999 said:

Best way to get fast splits is to not care about fast splits.  Two years ago I was trying to shoot fast and .17 was as fast as I could go.  I gave up on it.  Now I can shoot .12-.14 pretty much on demand.
In reality, splits ( so long as you can stay .20ish) don't matter much. 
Work on things that will improve your match performance like transitions, entries and exits.  

+1, best advice so far.

Splits don't matter. I think I shot probably my fastest split ever at nats last week, and it was only probably a 0.12. I have a very slow trigger finger compared to most of my compatriots. And you know what? It doesn't matter at all.  

Sophia, I have found that just shooting and learning the trigger is critical to getting those split times down. I think my last training session I shot about 600 rounds. The greatest accuracy improvement tool for me was a reloading machine. Try to concentrate on your trigger finger movement.

Now, here is an old friend of mine (he is 19 now) who did something pretty cool: 

Kincaid explained to me how he was trying to keep  them in the Alpha zone and noticed they started to drift almost out so he slowed down. His splits were amazing at .12 but increased the split to .14 to keep the firearm under control. We all miss Kincaid as he left the sport suddenly. A really great kid. 
Is Kincaid ok?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thanks, Guys!  I am going to try those double taps taking my finger completely off the trigger between and I will try turning the dot off and shooting into the barm.  I have done the shooting into the berm before and it did seem fast as ***!  I am going to go back to that and the Ben Stoeger drill at 7, 12 and 15 feet.  Let me know if anyone has any other suggestions.  The gun will do it.  It's definitely me.  It's not the ammo and not the gun; 170 PF 38 super comp.

How 'bout try a bill drill with the targets only 3 yards away and your dot turned OFF!!  Can you force yourself to hose the stage (not worrying about accuracy)?  If so, you might be focusing too much on the dot settling and that's what's causing slower splits.

On 10/31/2018 at 7:17 PM, Nevadazielmeister said:

Yes, Mr. Ross is plenty okay and enjoying his life. Nothing bad happened at all. 

Shot at a team match last month Ross was there still amazingly fast , and coolest part was wrapping his ear muffs around his waist ??. Haaaaahaaaaa must be nice, y’all worry bout splits and transitions I’m working on getting my ear muffs to wrap around my bellay!??